SRM1216 - saw one in a gun shop today, what the?

My first impression was that this thing is a beast of a gun, and my second was that I could get a whole pile of S12s for the price.

srm%201216.jpg

The odd-looking structure on the bottom is not a pump. This is a semi-automatic shotgun fed by four feed tubes stuck together, and you rotate the whole magazine to the next tube once every four shots.

The one I saw had a breaching brake for added beastlyness and was stickered for $2,500. The shop owner said these things are selling like hot cakes and that he can't keep them in stock. Then again, the guy also claimed the SEALs had just ordered hundreds of SRM1216s and that claim seems to have been made up from whole cloth.

It hurts my brain that anyone would consider using this when there are so many good guns that do similar things without looking like they belong in an artsy videogame. That is all.

Long video review, not by me:

I think its pretty clear that no one can compete with the Saiga 12 (though, maybe soon the Vepr) for the price and the result are retardedly bulky designs like this to try and get the gimmicky-tacticool end of the market share that just wants to throw away their money.

Remember this thing?

Tony-Web-Pic-315x241.jpg

• Like 1

I think its pretty clear that no one can compete with the Saiga 12 (though, maybe soon the Vepr) for the price and the result are retardedly bulky designs like this to try and get the gimmicky-tacticool end of the market share that just wants to throw away their money.

Remember this thing?

Tony-Web-Pic-315x241.jpg

is that a robot dildo?

• Like 1

Remember this thing?

Tony-Web-Pic-315x241.jpg

is that a robot dildo?

Underbarrel minigun.

Remember this thing?

Tony-Web-Pic-315x241.jpg

is that a robot dildo?

Underbarrel minigun.

Less lethal blunt force trauma device.

people call saigas heavy, badly ballanced, and range toys--> then they take something like that seriously.

Hey guys, I'm Jason with SRM. Noticed the thread started about our shotgun, so thought I would join the discussion!

@Whiterabbit...thanks for starting the thread! Let me explain about the video you posted:

The primary issue he had with his gun stems from the roller-delayed action system design and the vacuum that is created in the chamber, when the shotgun is fired. What happened with his gun was a function of 2 factors.

1) He was using ammunition that had been stored for a while, resulting in some expansion in the diameter of the shells;

2) the force of the bolt being blown-back creates a vacuum within the chamber that either bulges the heads of the shells, or rips them apart.

Let me explain the second part further...

When the shell is seated in the chamber, depending on the diameter of the shell, it will either fit tightly or loosely. If the shell fits loosely in the chamber (which is more common) the gun will cycle more efficiently. If the shell fits tightly in the chamber, there is a greater likelihood that a vacuum-like effect will occur. Think of it like pulling a cork out of a wine bottle…the greater diameter of the shell, the greater the vacuum pressure in the chamber. When the vacuum pressure is high, the shell’s head can bulge or detach. Obviously, this has an impact on the guns ability to cycle.

After reports of this problem, we developed a solution that would accommodate shotgun shells of slightly different diameter.

Essentially, we etch grooves inside of the chamber of the shotgun so that the gasses can escape, thereby eliminating the vacuum-effect that occurred in some of the shotguns manufactured by SRM, early in its production.

The fact that SRM has moved so quickly to understand a problem with the shotgun, develop a solution, and implement change to their manufacturing process should be viewed positively.

@spacehog...the same that that happens after you shoot the 20th round out of your Saiga drum. :)

@risky...have you held the 1216 or fired it? It's not bulky and definitely not a gimmick.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 3