Russian magwell mags not locking up

Just got my 030 in my hands and none of the 4 or 8 round magwell mags will lock in so that the mag release latch pops back out into its normal position.

Just want to appease the demons in my head and verify you're supposed to "file, test, repeat" on the rear lug until they fit like the MD20s and other mags.

Thanks

Eric

Just got my 030 in my hands and none of the 4 or 8 round magwell mags will lock in so that the mag release latch pops back out into its normal position.

Just want to appease the demons in my head and verify you're supposed to "file, test, repeat" on the rear lug until they fit like the MD20s and other mags.

Thanks

Eric

If the mag well design has not changed on the new models, then the magazine will lock up on a three (3) point caming action. I am going to guess that both the 4 and the 8 round have a slight curvature to them? If they do then the concept is the same and I will tell you how to fit the magazines. DO NOT fit it like the drum. If you remove materiel from the lug, like the drum, it will definitely not work!!

Let me know if there is a curvature and what the magazines are made of and we can go from there. It is the same as fitting magazines to my JTE Magwell.

Jack

Thanks

Eric

If the mag well design has not changed on the new models, then the magazine will lock up on a three (3) point caming action. I am going to guess that both the 4 and the 8 round have a slight curvature to them? If they do then the concept is the same and I will tell you how to fit the magazines. DO NOT fit it like the drum. If you remove materiel from the lug, like the drum, it will definitely not work!!

Let me know if there is a curvature and what the magazines are made of and we can go from there. It is the same as fitting magazines to my JTE Magwell.

Jack

There is a slight curvature to the mag bodies themselves.

Here are the 8s: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/magwell_magazine.jpg

Can't find a pic of the 4 round mags, but they have the same general shape. The plastic looks and feels different than the factory rock and lock 5s and 8s. Feels rougher/more substantial to me, but that's just my initial impressions of them.

I own one of your Surefire magwells and fitting those was pretty easy. These mags insert with a bit of effort and reach the top of the Russian magwell in order to activate the LRBHO, but they don't lock in.

What are your thoughts on getting them to lock up without filing the rear lug?

Thanks

Eric

Give me a call sometime today. I am heading to the range in a few minutes for some practice. Got the the Arkansas 3 Gun this weekend and I need all the practice I can get!!

Will be available all day after that, getting gear squared away.

Lot easier explaining what to look for on the phone than over the internet.

Jack

337 353-3534

Give me a call sometime today. I am heading to the range in a few minutes for some practice. Got the the Arkansas 3 Gun this weekend and I need all the practice I can get!!

Will be available all day after that, getting gear squared away.

Lot easier explaining what to look for on the phone than over the internet.

Jack

337 353-3534

Will do.

Thanks

Eric

I spoke with Jack earlier and he helped explain some of the forces involved in the process of using a magwell and it helped me visualize what needed to be removed where.

I also remembered I had tagged a topic covering this exact issue and took a look again.

A combination of smooting the "hump" on the back of the mag while removing ~.01 from the rear mag catch took care of the issue.

Here's the write up with pics done by Lokmeup: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/76816-iz-433-magwell-and-magazine-fitting/

Thanks all

Eric