Just placed an order for a 20"

Just placed my order tonight. If all goes well I'll have it in a week or so. I'll post pics, and impression when it arrives. I was going to get a 7.52x54r, but decided I should get in .223 so everyone in the family can shoot it comfortably. Almost went with 23", but decided the few FPS was not worth the trade off in weight and length. Which, would have probably made it a bench only gun, and would have limited it usefulness for other applications.

First I'm going to the range to test fire it. After that I'm definatley going to put a G2 trigger system in. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the stocks or replace them. High cap mags are a must. I'll also thread the barrel if it's not already done. I'm hoping that I get lucky like you did with your 5.45, but I'm figuring on having to do the threads for now. I have to get the parts count right to comply with 922r.

My fear is that when it comes in and my wife shoots it that she will want to claim it for herself. If she does then I plan on telling that's fine, but I'm getting that 7.62x54r for myself. big_smile.gif Either way . . .I win!

• Like 1

I was at the local shop today since I had the day off from work, and lookin at his Veprs, the x39 and x54r didnt have threads, but the .308 did. So maybe you will get lucky. Lets hope you did. But def. plan for doing it. I dont know if its like the Saiga's and is luck of the draw or what. Either way I think your going to love these rifles. Congrats Liberty. Get some pics up when you get her.

Odering my 223 after i type this, going 20", any ideas on mags. I have several weigers for the wasr 3 heard weapon might need some milling to take them also do not know if i will have to put in a bullet ramp, all 922 related. Any of you guys know what as to be done. Also have the 308 went to the range did some sight work with open sights. 50 yards what a rifle.

I'm not sure on mags just yet since mine isn't here, but Captain Hero has the 5.45, and from he has said Saiga mags should work. Might require a little fiing on the mag catch. I'm going to see if me Surefire/SGM's work. They will count a three compliant parts. The VEPR is all russian parts so you need to change out 6 parts to be 922r compliant. Us the parts count app. on this sight to help figure out what works for you.

You will need bullet ramp, and may have to do some reciever trimming to get the weigers to fit. But, those won't count towards parts to be 922r compliant. Keep that in mind.

What barrel length did you get in the .308?

Liberty, it is a 16 ", what a great rifle, I just love being able to work on these things, I am getting my saiga 762x39 back from my son, his was in Republic of Kal, and will give him back his Mak 90, He is moving back to AZ. Going to 922r my saiga. Also building an AR 45 designed to take grease gun mags, was going to order V 223 not sure yet, thanks for the info. Billy

Billy, if your running mags that have a built in bullet guide, you wont have to install a bullet guide, but if the mags you want to use dont have one built in, it may or may not feed properly. Id install one just to be safe if this is the case.

The Vepr mags that came with my 5.45 have a very skinny rear tab and required me to remove more material from the mag catch than I did with my Saiga's to accept standard AK mags. If the mags you want to use have the thicker rear tab, you'll need to remove some material for them to lock in fully. You'll see what I mean when you have the Vepr mags in hand.

Id rather take material off the catch than have to modify the mags to clear the trunnion. Id also pick one of these up while they are still priced rather low.

Im already wanting another one as well. I want a .308, but like you, cant decide what I should let go to help fund it. Between this and the V12, Im prolly going to ride it out until after I get the V12.

The G2 for the small cals may be easier.. I just noticed today my new Hogue (for AK) grip will no go onto my 54R VEPR without work being done to the grip.. Hopefully its a 54R thing.. but keep it in mind on yours and test before order conversion parts for a PG and stock..

YWHIC, thanks for the input on the G2 and stock. Good to know on the 54R for sure since I hope to get one of those some day as well.

CSS replied in my 54R Rebuild that the Houge is an oddball and the screw hole is set back further then it should be normally.. (figures)..

After I grinded down the darn thing.. I'll order another TYPE next week and just replace it.. $25 out the window isn't too bad..

YWHIC, thanks for the input on the G2 and stock. Good to know on the 54R for sure since I hope to get one of those some day as well.

CSS replied in my 54R Rebuild that the Houge is an oddball and the screw hole is set back further then it should be normally.. (figures)..

After I grinded down the darn thing.. I'll order another TYPE next week and just replace it.. $25 out the window isn't too bad..

That suprises me about the Hogue grip. I have one on one of my Saiga 223, and it mounted perfectly. Better than a couple of other grips I tried. Maybe my Saiga 223 had the grip hole square cut wrong and it just worked correctly by accident. CSS know their products very well so I'm sure what Grag told you is true. Might be able to resell the Hogue so you not out the whole amount.