Hi,my name is Mike. New guy here. I always hate my frist post to be a question but I need somehelp. I just bought a sagia in .223 from a friend of mine and I see the he used a spring pin to hold in the gas piston in place. Can someone tell me if that is acceptable. Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by 'spring pin'?

Assuming that the action works back and forth normally and the 'spring pin' isnt sticking out from either side of the rivet hole, you are probably good.

"spring pin" makes me wonder though.

Edited by Boomsick42

One of these?

I suppose it could work. If I wanted to keep it that way, I would check it after every time I shoot it. Although I have to say, that is kind of half-assing it. I would say that it is even more half-assy than a bolt on components, since the gas piston is actually important.

I would go ahead and rivet it anyway though. Worse case scenario, if you realize that you cannot form the rivet for whatever reason, you can always go back and put the spring pin in there.

post-36320-0-92409900-1350009687.jpg

One of these?

I suppose it could work. If I wanted to keep it that way, I would check it after every time I shoot it. Although I have to say, that is kind of half-assing it. I would say that it is even more half-assy than a bolt on components, since the gas piston is actually important.

I would go ahead and rivet it anyway though. Worse case scenario, if you realize that you cannot form the rivet for whatever reason, you can always go back and put the spring pin in there.

If this is whats been used, it should be fine. Sig used them as the recoil spring retainer on there op rods. Which actually resides inside the gas tube. That is assuming it was drilled the correct size to begin with.

Not sure if they make oversized rivets. Check AK-builder, they have most of what one would need.

Although in retrospect, if your friend has fired it a lot with the spring pin, then maybe it will be okay. I would still keep inspecting it after every shoot though.

The trigger guard on my neglected AR is kept inside by what looks like a spring pin. Looks okay so far lol.

Not sure if they make oversized rivets. Check AK-builder, they have most of what one would need.

Although in retrospect, if your friend has fired it a lot with the spring pin, then maybe it will be okay. I would still keep inspecting it after every shoot though.

The trigger guard on my neglected AR is kept inside by what looks like a spring pin. Looks okay so far lol.

Thats good advice. Another thing I would suggest, is check the pin for play, and see if it feels like it slides back and forth inside the carrier. Your can always use a center punch to flare the ends.

I did not shoot it yet, but u can't move the pin. The pin is in good, when I hit it with a punch it did not move.

Put one round through it and check, then put a few throught it and check. Then just make a habit of checking it after every mag till your comfortable. Sig uses these things on 1,000nds of rifles. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But it's never a bad idea to periodicly check your gun anyway. Oh and make sure your pin is flush on both sides of your carrier you don't want it tearing up your rear gas block.

That's called a roll pin and they are a very common fastener. Given it is the correct size for the hole, you should never have a problem with it in there. It will be there until you remove it with a press.

Roll pin is what I've always known them to be called. But it's not uncommon for mechanics to use a diffrent name than distributors/ sales men.

Like try buying gaskets from somplace like grainger and see all the silly explanations you get when you tell them you need a 4" 150# neoprene!

Most AK pistons are also pinned, but with a tapered-head pin. I don't expect you'll have a problem, but you might check it now and then if you're worried. A dab of loctite would help ensure the pin stays in place.