Thickness of S308 Receiver.

Hey guys,

Just a quick question to the experts out here ... working on my Saiga .308 build, generally very happy with the rifle. I am curious though ... while researching specs there is some debate about the receiver thickness versus the VEPR model. Some claim it has a heavy barrel, some claim it doesn't, some claim the receiver is as thick as a VEPR, some say it is a standard 1 mm receiver thickness. Just trying to clear up some issues about S308 construction and durability. This guy on AR15 states:

In the .308 version, both brands use the wider RPK-style trunnions (and thicker 1.5mm receiver sheet metal, IIRC). In all other calibers, only the VEPR has those two characteristics.

So then, I decide to email Krebs of Krebs customs. He seems knowledgeable. He tells me (very graciously I might add) that the S308 is 50 thousandths of an inch and the VEPR is 60 thousandths of an inch thick on the receiver. Again, can't find anything to substantiate this. I would measure my own S308 but I don't have calipers to take such a measurement and I am currently having the front sight repinned and the barrel threaded.

Where are people getting their info from? Anyone have any insight? I would greatly appreciate it.

- Ken

Saiga Receiver thickness is approximately .062 +/- .001 I have measure some at .059 which isn't that big of difference. 1.5mm and .062 is virtually the same. They are the equivalent of 16 gauge (.0625) which is one of the most common industry sheet metal standards.

• Like 2

Thanks JT, just saved me from doing some "renovations" to try and find my calipers, haha. Good to know. Kaelic, keep in mind, even with the similarly sized receiver, the VEPR barrel itself is thicker than a Saiga barrel. This is where you really want the thickness as it will assist in accuracy more than a receiver. The only real downside to the VEPR would be magazine and stock options. I love the Saiga though, so I will recommend that first, then a VEPR later. The Saiga conversion is really a good learning experience and quite fun

On my Saiga .308 the receiver is 1mm. I know this because I am able to easily slide my Romy side folder into the rear of the receiver. To slide a Romy side folder into a 1.6 mm receiver like a Chinese AK, the 4 sides of the folder have to be filed to fit in the thicker receiver. My Saiga is from 06. Maybe the new ones are thicker, but I don't think so. GARY

I had to do a bit of material removal from a Romanian measured stock set to get it to fit my Norinco, so if yours slides in it is 1mm. I'll see if I can measure mine, just had surgery but if I can find my calipers, finally, tomorrow I will get ya a measure on mine beer.gif

• 2 weeks later...