First I want to say hello to everyone and thanks for having me... so I finally got my hands on two md-20 drums and with me being a newbie and all , I was nervious about fitting them myself and reached out to a local gun shop for that service.so as soon as I walked in and told him what I wanted , the gunsmith while only looking at the drums says "I can not do that gun because it's illegal " so I try to explain to the older guy that its just a saiga 12 and it is legal to own... and he said that looks like a street sweeper to him and says he will not touch it.... also informs me he is suppose to call ATF ! Spooked me so bad just hearing that made me feel like I was driving home with a street sweeper and I was being followed by ATF all the way home.

Has this happened to any of you before...

That kind of reaction should make you proud because you have an evl blk wpn.... ;)

Yes, I've had people telling me I'm going to prison because I have an "e-legal" sawed off shotgun. I've heard the "That's an e-legal street sweeper". I hear shit like "Bedder get rida dat thang four ya git in trubble.". I may just start replying, "Well, maybe you should do the right thing and call the ATF.... would you like the number?" as I stand there with a loaded 8" 12 ga ;)

• Like 4

Sounds like you live up north with all the WIERDO's, down here, when you start shooting, everyone comes out and wants too shoot it. One night, even the county sheriff looked at it, grinned, shook his head laughing and drove off. It's nice to live around Rednecks. Oh, and Yes, we was protecting our neighbors place from thieves that night.

Welcome, and I live in the north country and I get people that just look @ me like WTF is that. And I do get ?'s on it and asked to shoot it. I even offered on guy after he asked what it was and I told him Saiga 12, and all I got was I HATE YOU from the guy. After shooting it he looked @ his wife and said we are driving to that store(I told him I bought it locally) and I got the death glare from her.

I'm glad I bought it no matter what anyone says. Its menacing and a blast(really) to shoot.

Montec I'm in the same boat as you. Live up North but I always get positive responses at the range and I always offer to let anyone shoot it if they show an interest. Let a father and son shoot it last time I was there.

My little bro's(they are way younger then me) shoot it the last time I was up visiting my parents. They loved it. The youngest(11) had a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

First I want to say hello to everyone and thanks for having me... so I finally got my hands on two md-20 drums and with me being a newbie and all , I was nervious about fitting them myself and reached out to a local gun shop for that service.so as soon as I walked in and told him what I wanted , the gunsmith while only looking at the drums says "I can not do that gun because it's illegal " so I try to explain to the older guy that its just a saiga 12 and it is legal to own... and he said that looks like a street sweeper to him and says he will not touch it.... also informs me he is suppose to call ATF ! Spooked me so bad just hearing that made me feel like I was driving home with a street sweeper and I was being followed by ATF all the way home.

Has this happened to any of you before...

My god what state do you live in? How can any gunshop owner not be remotely familiar with a Saiga more over threaten to report you to the Feds. I woulda told him to go fuck his mother and rightly so.

PS - Fitting your drum is way easy. Just a file a little off til it fits.

I went to a fund raiser skeet shoot a while ago. It was fun. They all knew what it was but the ~70 year old range master clearly resented me. My name was Kalish-Ni-Koff as far as he was concerned.

He kept shaking his head and saying things like "what is this world coming too?"

He muttered something to me about what would a guy need or want a gun like that for, and I responded with a laugh, that it was either because I really liked it or I bought it just to make him mad, and he could believe whichever he preferred. He'd been giving everyone else lots of second and third tries, but none for me the whole time. Toward the end, he demanded to see that, and as soon as it touched his hand he pronounced it heavy. He'd complimented another guy's fancy edition browning citori. When I got home, I looked that citori up: 7.5 lbs. the saiga I brought weighed in at 7.6 lbs with an empty SGM 8 if the scale I used can be trusted.

I thought the whole thing was funny, as I did about as well as any of the other novices, and the other range members and staff, each stopped by to enquire about it with interest at some point or other. I'll admit it was not the most convenient to load one or two at a time per range rules, but the handicap was minor, and I was about as quick as anyone with an over under. The only thing holding me back was my skills. All in all, a pretty fun day.

I had a similar reaction from a local gunsmith here in Northern California when I brought in my Saiga 308 to be converted. He took one look at me with my Tattoos and Tool shirt and said he wouldn't touch my gun with a 10 foot pole. I tried to explain that a pistol grip conversion with a magazine lock is NOT illegal here. He told me that it could be made illegal after, and said he didn't want my money. I told him that I could take a shit on his floor, and just because I could didn't mean I was going to and left. I am grateful that he was a douche because it motivated me to do it myself and since then I have converted my own x39 and S12 and helped a few customers at the gun shop I now work at with their conversions.

• Like 2