Are there any good bipods that work with an unmodified, wooden stocked .308 Saiga? And if there are good, stable ones, do they change the point of impact, i.e., make it shoot high which is the error I would expect? Thanks, Don.

Harpoon:

Here are my two cents. I have a 308 with the synthetic foreend. This has a swivel near the front of the foreend. The photographs that I have seen of the long barrel wood foreend shows that it has a swivel, too, so my comments about my 308 should apply to your rifle. I have a Harris bipod which is considered to be a top of the line unit of this type (no off-shore knockoff for me). This is intended to be installed on an Izhmash 22lr Biathlon Basic rifle but I have played around with it on my 308. What one does is is unscrew the front swivel assembly and remove the swivel. What is left is the screw and collar which has two holes in it into which the swivel loop fits. If you use a file you can widen the gap of these holes so that the Harris bipod can be attached. I don't feel comfortable filing these down so I plan to buy a swivel stud with a machine screw and use that as the way to attach the bipod which essentially pinches onto the swivel stud.

If you look around on the other subforums of this forum you can find postings by persons who have done this.

I don't have a bi-pod, but I have replaced the Saiga sling studs with QD swivel studs. There are many bi-pods that will mount to them. I have the woodie, and standard 10/32 sdud fit the front with only a trim to length of the screw. The rear required drilling the pilot hole larger and making a plastic spacer(washer). You need the 10/32 machine thread for the foregrip, and wood screw for the butstock. I found both, and the QD rings for the strap at a gunshow for under $10.

G O B

Are there any good bipods that work with an unmodified, wooden stocked .308 Saiga? And if there are good, stable ones, do they change the point of impact, i.e., make it shoot high which is the error I would expect? Thanks, Don.

This will works. NOw :blues: I took the QD Stud From a Harris Number 4 Adaptor. The Harris Number 4(the universal barrel clamp Harris adaptor) will give you a stud that is perfect in size. YOu will not have to grind or file any thing(with the stud). The price for the adaptor is $20. It is a little steep, in price but most gun customs are pricey.

I use a Rock mount bi-pod. Rock mount is a Harris knock off. But my bipod does the job. Excellent groups you know! :killer:

Note that the bi-pod will fit fine. But I wanted a perfect fit. I took a grinder to the back of the Bipod in order for the bipod to fit level with the Siaga's forearm. I have the Plastic stock 308.