amd 65 forearm on an S12

I've tried searching and nothing came up. I want to put an AMD 65 forward pistol grip on my S12 that I have on layaway. Will it work? Also, what's a good handguard retainer that will work with this setup? There's the Dinzag unit, but that's really pricy for what it is. Will the Tromix galil retainer work?

The forward grip on a AMD is just a pistol grip turned backwards. The AMD handgaurd will be too narrow at the taper to allow the retainer to grip. As the galil hand guard doesn't taper, plus the Galil handguard has a FEMALE recesse for the retainer to clip into, and the AMD is male and clips into the retainer.

If your crafty anything is possible. Now you could get some perferoated chanel from lowes, cut it the lenght you need, to allow it to screw into the gas block, and dremel a hole for the pistol grip and add a tab for the trigger guard slot in the pistol grip to lock into so it doesn't swivel on you. Be sure to allow clearance for the rock and lock of the mag when locating your pistol grip nut hole. You'll also have to add a tab on the back of the channel to slid into the reciver.. But with a little patience and taking the time to cope your corners and round all you edges you could have something very custom and nice after paiting. Good luck I hope this helps.

I know the forward grip is just a regular AMD grip turned backwards. I didn't know the galil retainer was female, I do now. I'm assuming the AMD sheet metal handguard is the same spec as any other AKM forearm. The reason why I was asking about the Tromix retainer is because the Dinzag unit is almost $50 and his ship time is insane. Dinzag's parts are good, though.

So, to revise my question, is the ventilated AMD forearm the same spec as any other AKM forearm? Basically, I want this build to be plug 'n play and as economical as possible. Are there any other options besides the dinzag retainer for lower handguards?

*Edit: Oops, just realized I had the dinzag price wrong. lol. It's somewhat affordable. Still pricy for what it does, though.

Edited by bigdust80

I had an AMD handguard on my S12 until just recently when i finally got to shoot it. I don't have the forgrip on it though. It definitely heats up quite a bit if you rapid fire, more so on the rifles. I used the Dinzag lower handguard retainer on mine, but there is one thing, the AMD handguard is not just something you can just throw on. You need to remove the entire top folder over part of the handguard. I actually went back to the original handguard. The color in the pic is due to my camera, the guns aren't actually purple.

post-26430-0-49536500-1348936950_thumb.jpg

• Like 1