Adjustable gas block for suppressed S308

Hi all, this is my first post. I just wanted to first off say thanks to all of you out there (on this forum and others) who take the time to post and share your knowledge not only with those who are members of this forum but just for anyone out there with the DIY mentality. I never thought I would have gotten myself into converting a Saiga "sporterized" rifle into the 922r compliant assault rifle considering I was dead set on a Keltec RFB before a friend told me about the Saiga rifles. Anyway, back to the topic of this thread which is about suppressing a Saiga 308.

I've spent countless hours over the last several days scouring the various forums out there, silencer talk, snipershide, the firing line, and probably 10+ other forums that came up on google regarding suppressing an AK. The general consensus seems to be that an AK is not the best weapon to put a suppressor on, however that is just my issue; most of the information out there is specifically about suppressing an AK-47 not a Saiga 308. I understand there are a lot of similarities between the two however are there any differences that make the .308 inherently better for suppressor use? I've searched this forum as well and haven't been able to find much about users experience regarding suppressor use.

My major concern is the reliability of the weapon being decreased (or longevity of use) and gases coming out of the gas port after firing and getting in my face (burning my eyes, or breathing in the gases). I've also read that this is the reason why the noise reduction resulting from suppressing an AK is less than other types of firearms. Comments from those who have suppressed their Saiga 308's would greatly be appreciated.

In addition, I was wondering if an adjustable gas block would help with any of these issues or if anyone has any experience with one of these, more specifically with a DEZ Arms, Inc Adjustable Gas Block.

I also wanted to caveat my post with the fact that I know very little about these rifles so thanks in advance for any insight you can provide me with.

Before you suppress any weapon you want to make sure you have all the correct paperwork and legalities covered before you start thinking about it.

WHAT are you talking about, the guy was asking a question ABOUT doing it. You DO NOT have to have permission to talk about doing it or to ask for advise as to the best way to go. So, unless you actually know what the hell you're talking about, don't practice law here.

In response to the OP's question. Yep, it'll tend to make the bolt & carrier recoil a lots harder, possibly striking the rear trunion. I have threaded my Sx39 for a can, tested it with a friends can, the recoil, TO ME, wasn't as bad as without it, but you will get more gas and blow back. I only ran about 20 rounds thru it, but I didn't see where it was really hammering the rear trunion, but you'd be better served by asking Tony, if anyone will know, he would. I will tell you, that you WILL notice a big difference in the sound with & without a can. It won't make it "TV" quite, but does do away with the boom of the gun, NOT the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

I've never seen an adjustable gas block for the AK's, but if you know where to get one, please let me know.

Before you suppress any weapon you want to make sure you have all the correct paperwork and legalities covered before you start thinking about it.

WHAT are you talking about, the guy was asking a question ABOUT doing it. You DO NOT have to have permission to talk about doing it or to ask for advise as to the best way to go. So, unless you actually know what the hell you're talking about, don't practice law here.

In response to the OP's question. Yep, it'll tend to make the bolt & carrier recoil a lots harder, possibly striking the rear trunion. I have threaded my Sx39 for a can, tested it with a friends can, the recoil, TO ME, wasn't as bad as without it, but you will get more gas and blow back. I only ran about 20 rounds thru it, but I didn't see where it was really hammering the rear trunion, but you'd be better served by asking Tony, if anyone will know, he would. I will tell you, that you WILL notice a big difference in the sound with & without a can. It won't make it "TV" quite, but does do away with the boom of the gun, NOT the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

I've never seen an adjustable gas block for the AK's, but if you know where to get one, please let me know.

oh sorry big dog!

Thanks termite, I'm assuming Tony is a member of this forum? The adjustable gas block I was referring to is by a company called DEZ Arms Inc, you can view it at the following link: http://www.dezarms.com/pdfs/FOR%20IMMEDIATE%20RELEASE%20AK%20GAS%20BLOCK.pdf

Now that I look at it though, I'm not sure it would fit on the S308, so I'm not sure if it is even a feasible idea in the first place.

Tony Rumore his section is here http://forum.saiga-1...m/46-tromixcom/

You can PM him as well

Thanks Dad2142Dad, I made a post over on Tony's Section and asked him specifically if he had any experience regarding the adjustable gas block or any insight regarding this.

Any other S308 owners out there running suppressors? What have your experiences been?