new VEPR ejection issues

Picked up my new vepr 20.5 inch in 54r today, and went right to the range.

Did a quick strip, clean, and oil while waiting for a clear. I put 100 rounds through it, 40 light ball, 60 heavy ball. I ran into frequent ejection problems. About one round in ten was jamming in various ways. Some stovepiped, others were pinched by the carrier and pinned awkwardly above the magazine. One managed to do a 180 and got jammed backwards. Many that did eject did not do so properly and were bouncing off the top dust cover and essentially falling out after bouncing around internally a few times.

Its pretty clear that the ejector is trying to send the rounds more or less straight up. I actually have a mark on the bolt carrier rod where the casings were hitting it.

Anyone hear of this before? Any suggestions?

Apart from the ejection issue, I was quite impressed, I absolutely love the lefty thumbhole stock and the overall ergonomics made it very comfortable to shoot.

No feed issues from the factory 5 rounders, I have not yet acquired any 10's. I was quickly able to get the iron sights zeroed, my only complaint is that the notch on the rear sight is quite wide. Accuracy seemed quite acceptable, I'll know for sure when I add some kind of optic (I am a fairly poor shot with all varieties of iron sights).

Sorry for the poor description, that's what I get for attempting to post right before bed.

What I meant was the actual shaft portion of the bolt carrier. It seems to me that it is attempting to eject straight up and hitting the carrier. Here is a picture:

post-31228-0-59412400-1349094469_thumb.jpg

Edited by drhobo

You'll probably have to take a file and reshape your extractor slightly. I would highly suggest finding a replacement extractor and installing it first to see if that resolves the issue. I'm not sure what alternative AK extractors might fit as finding OEM Vepr ones could be troubling.... maybe YWHIC can compare bolts to some of the other rifles he's got to see if any will be a close match.

Try taking your dust cover off and cycle rounds manually and slowly. Its helped me in the past to potentially pinpoint problem areas.

Based on what your saying, look at your ejector to see how low its riding. If your gun is throwing casings more than 6ft, its not a gas problem. Could be a stiff ass recoil spring too.

is it a tgi import? if so they have a warranty contact them

It is, this sounds like a much better option than messing with it myself. Thank you, I mostly buy milsurps so a warranty didn't even occur to me.

Edited by drhobo
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if the ejection problem of your vepr is fixed. I have the same problem with my new VEPR too. I sent it to Wolf but I received it back with the same problem. Now they are not even responding to me!!!!!

The details of the FTE problem of my Vepr is here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/82391-vepr-54r-problem-fte/

Edited by vepr54r

I had 120 rounds go through my vepr hunter yesterday with 7 different people firing. There were maybe two rounds (silver bear 174gr) that did not eject but seemed to be more operator than gun related.

Did you have any other FTEs later? Anyway you got the hunter version; mine is regular. Mine has a serious FTE problem. Wolf could not fix it and are not responding to me so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 120 rounds go through my vepr hunter yesterday with 7 different people firing. There were maybe two rounds (silver bear 174gr) that did not eject but seemed to be more operator than gun related.

Did you have any other FTEs later? Anyway you got the hunter version; mine is regular. Mine has a serious FTE problem. Wolf could not fix it and are not responding to me so far.

I took mine out on 12/10/12 and we put 40 rounds through it. 3 shooters including me and there was one of us with multiple FTE. The other shooter and myself had no issues. This is why I think it may be shooter related. Try having multiple people shoot the rifle to see if there is a change in the feeding issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I found my issue. The carrier was binding a bit right before it got back to the ejector. Not consistantly, but enough to be noticeable every so often when hand cycling repeatedly. I think that binding slowed the carrier enough on some shots to deny the casing proper ejection force which resulted in the random ejection angles.

When inspecting it to try and determine why it was binding I noticed the finish on the guide rail seemed thick at one spot. A little polish and I am down to 3 fte's in one hundred last saturday. (Was several times worse before) . I think with a lit more polish that my issue should be resolved.

Edited by drhobo