VEPR 54R Rebuild Started..

So I shot about 100 rounds thru it and all went well.

Its the 20.5" VEPR in 54R.

veprbefore.JPG

I came home from the range and tore off the stock, FCG, & handguard..

VEPRdown1.jpg

Note the cool writing/markings under the gas tube on the barrel..

veprdown2.jpg

Stay tuned for the rebuild..

Parts due in from CSS, Dinzag, CNC Warrior, & Brownells..

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

The mil-spec stock choice is still kinda up in the air..

VLTOR Clubfoot, MagPul CTR, MagPul ACS, MagPul ACS-L

The CTR is in the mix as I may need a cheek riser.. the other MagPuls don't offer the option..

I have to PIN the stock after I figure out the length as I currently shoot 90% in NJ (a ban type state).. which sucks..

So today I got up early and had some fun with the 5/8-24 threading kit..

Not my 1st go round with this type of thing as I had threaded my Saiga 308 a few years back..

1 drop of Hoppes 9 oil.. the DIE jumped right on the barrel with the TAT installed with 4 threads exposed to start..

startthreading.jpg

Afte the 4 threads I took the TAT out.. and heres a shot 1/2 way or so..

abouthalfthreaded.jpg

And here a shot after I was done.. just short of rubbing the DIE handle on the FSB..

donethreading.jpg

I did NOT use a vise to do this.. as the barrel diameter is .612 which is on the small side for 5/8-24 threading.. so it was not super hard to turn and just hold the rifle between my thighs..

I also did not use a muzzle device to HOLD the TAT.. again I just used common sense and went SLOW..

When doing threading always remember..

Don't run into the TAT.. it will strip off the threads near the muzzle tip.

Go slow and back up to clear the DIE

If you remove the DIE for anything.. go slow rethreading it back on.. don't want to mess it up..

Some oil is good.. to much will junk you up.. then what ever you wipe with will leave LINT in the new threads.

Keep an eye on where your going (how far).. unless you like painting the FSB..

Overall time was about 15 minutes or so.. I did leave the DIE loose for this initial pass till I get the muzzle devise in.. then I may tighten it up if needed..

Rifle is now back in case to protect the threading from dinging..

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 3

Got my parts in from CSS and Brownells..

VLTOR AK stock tube (mil-spec)

DPH VEPR adaptor (dropped right in)

Hogue PG

JP Cooley Brake .750 dia... 5/8-24R

parts.jpg

I have to mod the VLTOR AK tube to fit into the DPH block.. all else is straight forward at this point..

I will take pictures tommorrow of that part.. off to work I go..

Edited by YWHIC

I got the parts pic up now.. (my rush earlier b4 work).

I did note the Hogue AK grip does not align and will need modifying to work on the VEPR 54 (and maybe other models).

Will do pictures about 9am to show what I mean..

The angle appears correct but the distance from front of grip to the PG hole is closer..

The option is to remove material from front of grip, or drill another hole..

I wonder if a non-converted TAPCO (for Saiga) SAW grip would work on this.. I know there was something different about THAT grip (like it was for another type of rifle maybe)

Edited by YWHIC

For some reason Hogue's grip screw hole is set back a little bit. I usually elongate the hole on the front side and that should solve the problem.

The Tapco Saw that came out of the stock set has an FAL grip hole pattern and will probably not fit.

Thanks I got it worked out after ALOT of dremel-fu on the front area under next to the trigger guard. I may need to order another (or another type that you recommend) and redo it later as I want it to look more proper..

grip.jpg

Also, you do need to modify the factory bushing to get it to fit with the DPH VEPR insert as it won't SWING into the hole with the full height on top..

bushing.jpg

Heres a shot of the VLTOR AK tube kit next to the PDH slant cut opening..

Its VERY close.. measurments were 1.09" (27.8mm) for the width opening and 1.147 (29.15mm) for the width of the AK tube end..

Off to the LAB (basement shop) for some metal dremeling..

tubeslant.jpg

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

OK..

Heres the DPH VEPR adaptor in place.. dropped right in..

DPHinplace.jpg

Heres a picture with the sides ground down to fit width-wise.. won't quite seat..

testfit.jpg

Ground down the TOP shelf about 1/8"

fullMOD.jpg

Had to MOD the smallest of the 3 inserts to FIT in too..

plasticMOD.jpg

Overall pic with the JP Cooley Comp/Brake on it.. just need a stock and handguard..

Overall length from TIP of Comp/Brake to rear or TUBE is now 38 5/8".. figure if you go with a standard FH or brake you could be down near 38 or so.. much better (IMHO) than the 40 1/2" or so it was with factory stock and no Comp/Brake..

overallPIC.jpg

Notes: I am NO EXPERT by a long shot..

Notice the small spec of AL showing near the rear of the receiver in the picture.. I will be fixing that when I redo the pistol grip.

Take your time when grinding or dremeling.. it could make things LOOSE and that would be BAD...

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 2

Well I installed the JP Enterprise Cooley Comp/Brake today.. (had to drill and tap for pin/weld for shooting in NJ)

It tapers down pretty nicely to the crush washer and the FSB..

CooleyComp.jpg

Waiting on a modified drop-in 54R G2 FCG from Dinzag..

Ordered a stock today.. went cheaper (MagPul CTR) as the pinning negates spending too much on one at this moment..

That is looking very nice!

Would like to inquire about possibly buying the wood.

I like the checkering and am wondering if the buttstock would fit my S.308-ver.21?

Are the Saiga/Vepr, slant cut receivers the same or close enough to work with?

What kind of handguard are you planning to use? This looks awesome!

Was going to run the CSS vented AR slotted model..

Greg from CSS notified just after mine shipped the front trunnion is slightly different on the newer imported VEPR's and he is getting a new batch in 2 weeks already set to go.. so I'll be sending this one back Monday and waiting for that.. (hence my Ultimak question I posted earlier)..

I did get in the ERGO grip and got that mounted without nearly as much fuss as the Hogue gave me...

Cudo's to CSS (Greg) for catching this and making it right..

post-8775-0-85602500-1349580757_thumb.jpg

Heres a mock up picture with the CSS slotted rail kinda in place and the ERGO grip.

frontfullRED.jpg

Heres another shot from the side..

sideRED.jpg

Can't wait for the replacement in 2 or so weeks.. this will be SHWEEET when she's done..

The ERGO grip only needed minor mods inside the slot where the grip nut/bushing goes.. the bushing is square and the slot hole on top is kinda round/oval.. had to make it square to match the bushing..

The good news is Dinzag has also shipped my modified VEPR G2 FCG back yesterday.. I will be doing a review on that as well.

Edited by YWHIC

That is looking very nice!

Would like to inquire about possibly buying the wood.

I like the checkering and am wondering if the buttstock would fit my S.308-ver.21?

Are the Saiga/Vepr, slant cut receivers the same or close enough to work with?

I know the VEPR has the hole to hold it (forearm) on with a long swivel screw and there is no PIN notch to grab the Saiga front PIN on the barrel.. and the stock may just bolt-on.. but I am not sure though.

I am keeping the wood in case I end up selling it I can put it back to almost factory (just with the comp/brake on it.)

I too am a little upset about the mishap with the CSS tube.. I was all stoked to have this thing back together.. but I don't feel good about hacking a $120 AL part to make it work.. 2 weeks won't hurt to do it right..

The good news is since CSS got in 2 VEPRS maybe they will start having other VEPR stuff produced for it since they can disect them to get fitments tested if they want.. << I hope...

I know a SGM 20 gauge Tri-Rail will fit with mods (from reading online).. then low and behold SGM announced on their FB page by mid-October they will have a VEPR specific one...

Edited by YWHIC

I like how the round css handguard looks but I with they made the transition from square receiver to round handguard nicer, with no huge gaping holes left at the front of the receiver. That's the only issue, otherwise looks great.

The round bottom edge near the tang is squared off to fit into the receiver.. there is no gap on the bottom edge..

post-8775-0-75752800-1349633470_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just need a caliper to measure the OD of your barrel muzzle..

Mine came in at 0.612", the 5/8-24 DIE is good down to 0.609" (per some std online) and upto 0.631" or so..

0.551"-0.569" OD for 14x1LH AK sized

0.591" - (0.609" guess) for the 15x1RH

0.500-0.520" for 1/2"-28RH AR15 size

if you goto http://www.dinzagarms.com/brakes_hiders/74brake.html he has all the common thread sizes and limits..

• Like 1

In other news my modiifed G2 is coming in from Dinzag.. he mailed it Saturday and I'm getting it today.. WOW..

My stock is also coming in from DSG arms today.. woot-woot..

EDIT: no mail today.. holiday.. figures..

Edited by YWHIC

In other news my modiifed G2 is coming in from Dinzag.. he mailed it Saturday and I'm getting it today.. WOW..

My stock is also coming in from DSG arms today.. woot-woot..

EDIT: no mail today.. holiday.. figures..

I ran into the same issue. I hate Columbus day!