VEPR 54R Rebuild Started..

Just need a caliper to measure the OD of your barrel muzzle..

Mine came in at 0.612", the 5/8-24 DIE is good down to 0.609" (per some std online) and upto 0.631" or so..

0.551"-0.569" OD for 14x1LH AK sized

0.591" - (0.609" guess) for the 15x1RH

0.500-0.520" for 1/2"-28RH AR15 size

if you goto http://www.dinzagarm...rs/74brake.html he has all the common thread sizes and limits..

Very informative, thanks!

I was a bit confused because I noticed that the barrel is kind of slightly tapered, and gets skinnier as it progresses.

Seriously contemplating threading mine, and then adding some U.S. goodies to make it awesome. I've only ever tried threading with tried and true dies on the same kinds of barrels though. Never had to figure out the right size or anything ;).

Nice thread overall!

I try to do threads to inspire people and jump in.. I'm not the 1st to use an adaptor with the VLTOR AK stock (I've seen in on another forum with a 223 VEPR).. I just liked the way I could save my tang and get something useful.. if I could go folding here when shooting in NJ I would just do a folder ACE..

The LOP on these VEPRS seem very long to me.. I need something like 9-10" not 13"+.

On my 308 Saiga I tried a Drag stock and that was too short at like 8 1/2".. switched to cheap Krink Poly Stock from RPB industries.. was much happier at 9 1/2" (I think it was)..

The AR stock (though it must be pinned for NJ) will at least give me time to figure MY optimum standard LOP for my shooting style.. I like kneeling or off a bench with a front bag.

Hopefully I will be off this weekend and take this back out to ROCK it..

Just ordered 120 rounds of the lighter 147 gr surplus to test against the 182 gr surplus out of it.. should be interesting with the G2 installed as well..

Stock and Dinzag 54R trigger just came in last night..

90percent.jpg

With stock on position #2 I am at 12 1/2" LOP.. and the stock is 9 5/8" from the back STRAIGHT edge of the receiver.. (my 308 Saiga was at 9 1/2" so i should be GTG)...

The LOP's using the VLTOR AK-AR stock tube.. measurements approximate.

1st position is 11 1/2" LOP and 8 3/8" from the SQUARED rear edge of the receiver.

2nd is above 12 1/2" LOP and 9 5/8"

3rd position is 13 1/4" LOP and 10 1/8"

4th position is 14" LOP and 10 15/16"

5th position is 14 3/4" LOP and 11 5/8"

I installed the .70" MagPul recoil pad as well for obvious recoil reasons.. rolleyes.gif

Just waiting on the handguard from CSS. which I may modify to get the Ultimak on their too.. cool.png

Edited by YWHIC

For those thatt shoot in BAN states or live their..

Pinning the stock on CTR was easy.. 2 holes by the friction lock and trigger guard roll pin from an AR..

PinStock.jpg

Drill and tap the Comp/Brake for 8-32 and use a tiny 8-32 SS set screw (bought online).. recess it abit into the barrel threads..

This is my normal procedure that I do..

PinBrake.jpg

Weld over with HF mig welder on low 25 amps (not 80/90).. you can leave it.. or clean it up with a dremel..

PinWeld.jpg