Any ever take the Front Sight Block off of a Century Arms AKM 60?

After removing and pushing back the front sight block off of a Saiga .308, I figured I was smart enough to fix the canted sight on my Century Arms milled receiver Polish AKM 60. Apparently not that easy. I took out the pins and bashed away at it with a soft mallet but the sucker won't move. Any chance these are threaded on?

AKM60ID.jpg

AKMFSBcopy.jpg

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The FSB is pressed on, not threaded. If you can't get it off with some serious effort from a plastic mallot/dead blow, then it needs to be pressed off.

If you have some unique clamp vises around, you may be able to rig something up to avoid having to use a press. I've pressed out gas and sight blocks from barrel stubs with a stadard bench vise, but that's pretty easy to do since you don't have to deal with a rifle being attached to the other end of the barrel.

Edited by mancat

I used two pipe clamps and a u shaped piece of 1/2 steel plate shaped to the od of my barrel just behind the sight and a 12" long piece of round stock with with another piece of 1/2 steel plate to clamp to on the other end of the round stock.I put a brass washer between the barrel crown and bar stock so not to mess it up under pressure.this was on my s308.Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...