Does anyone put 1-4x scopes on thier Saiga 12?

I have a couple simmons shotgun scopes. One is 2x fixed and the other is 1.5-4x. I have had good groups, but I am not going to make claims untill I get a chance to do some more careful measurement and shooting. I can say that my groups and target acquisition are much better and faster with scope than with irons. Seeing the target clearly helps a lot, and mine has a diamon reticule that is designed to work as a range finder.

This is my baby with her scope set-up. 029.gif

1A_zps8314b873.jpg

1B_zps437c5030.jpg

I have to say that mount looks nice. Really low. The areas I gun hunted in NY for deer we used shot guns and I always used a low power variable scope. Usually on 2. Never had issues picking up targets. Back then I used a rifled remington 1187 with a 2-7x leupold . Smooth bore shotgun with a scope should pull off 6 to 8" groups at 50 yds. Sometimes better. Find the flavor of slug your gun likes may make a big difference in group size. Being that for the longest time all we could use for guns on deer in the southern zone was shot guns we use to try every trick to squeeze out every yard we could out of them. Getting a new slug gun ment a few boxes of everything on the shelf too. Edited by rnemhrd
  • Like 1

Memhrd-- What do you do to stabilize the scope with the dust cover movement?

No scope on the S12. I would go the side mount for sure. Not a fan of that much mass on a dust cover. I did toss the red dot from my 7.62 on and got 2.5 to 3" groups at 25yds . Didn't use a ruler. The last post is from past exp with mossburgs and 870 smoothbore slug guns and old Ithica deerslayers buddies had with scopes. Thinking red dot or maybe inexpensive red dot and scope on side mounts. It's not a dedicated gun so I may need both. Need WTF.LOL Edited by rnemhrd

Betty Bucker, my adopted Russian daughter S12 SBS employeees a 1x Eoteck with the red dot in the center of a kinda large red circle. Within 25 yards or soossss, implooying 24 pellets of #1 buck, everything pretty much dissappears totally inside that red circle thingie. HB of CJ (old coot) All NFA and 9.22r rules apply.

No scope on the S12. I would go the side mount for sure. Not a fan of that much mass on a dust cover. I did toss the red dot from my 7.62 on and got 2.5 to 3" groups at 25yds . Didn't use a ruler. The last post is from past exp with mossburgs and 870 smoothbore slug guns and old Ithica deerslayers buddies had with scopes. Thinking red dot or maybe inexpensive red dot and scope on side mounts. It's not a dedicated gun so I may need both. Need WTF.LOL

Oops. I was actually looking at the image for the post above you and didn't realize that he just had the sweetest side mount to pic rail I have seen.

No scope on the S12. I would go the side mount for sure. Not a fan of that much mass on a dust cover. I did toss the red dot from my 7.62 on and got 2.5 to 3" groups at 25yds . Didn't use a ruler. The last post is from past exp with mossburgs and 870 smoothbore slug guns and old Ithica deerslayers buddies had with scopes. Thinking red dot or maybe inexpensive red dot and scope on side mounts. It's not a dedicated gun so I may need both. Need WTF.LOL

Oops. I was actually looking at the image for the post above you and didn't realize that he just had the sweetest side mount to pic rail I have seen.

That mount is so low it looks like part of the dust cover Edited by rnemhrd

That is a sweet side mount. He bought it from a non supporter of the forum. But it is made in Wisconsin and is very sturdy. When I can arrange the funds I plan on buying one. Also the company make a mount that has 30mm ring sidemount. The company is Midwest Industries Inc.

Kim