Just got a hold of some new Tapco slabsides. Now before all the hate starts pouring down on me, I've already got steel surplus and circle ten mags. When I first got into Saiga's a few years back I followed the crowd here and avoided the mags you guys all said were junk. However, last year, in a steal of buy, I acquired another SGL with three additional tapco mags. Those nasty looking ones with all the ribbing and heavy bottoms. At first I said, what the heck, good backups. But you know what, I've shot the hell out of them, abused them pretty significantly and have yet to have one break or fail. So when these new slabsides came along, I decided to give them a try. I don't have pics yet, but I will tell you guys that they are built like freaking tanks. I compared them to other polymer mags, including my bulgarian ones, and actually have less give at the feed lips than even the metal lined ones. Both front and rear locking points appear to be very robust. I'm not eager to replicate drop tests with any of my guns, but I wonder if there is a way to rig one in a vice in such a way as to simulate it being dropped. On top of all that, aesthetically speaking, these are really, and I mean really, good looking mags.

• Like 1

i bought prolly 1/2 dozen crapco mags several years ago for cheap..everyone of them has functioned well..all my korean mags for my glunk have worked with no issues as well..if its cheap i buy..i do not see any problem with tapco mags at this time..if you want buy a few and if you have a problem your not out any significant amount of coin..

I'm waiting on 5 black ones as we speak. I got to hold one locally, and they seemed lighter than the original ribbed ones, but still rock solid. I, too, have a butt-load of steels(including a couple of Koreans that haven't hiccuped yet), and wanted something for the range to take the wear off them.

Who has these the cheapest right now? Preferably in orange.

Theres just something reassuring about having lots of $5 mag you really dont give a crap about. You can have a ton of loaded mags at hand for cheap, and if they drop, or break, or get stolen, or whatever at the range; who cares? They were $5 crapy tapco mags. :D

i have two of these in black and it doesn't matter how many times you try....29 rds is all it will load. not only that but when snapped into the rifle it won't function unless it has 26 rds or less in it 015.gif have to manually chuck out three to get it to even work. i bought 2 a while back just to try out and IMO stick to surplus.....tapco's intrafuse mags do work decent but these need to go back to R&D.

I have two of them. I saw them, thought they looked a lot like the modern European polymer mags, thought what the hell and bought two to test out.

They have a very thick mold and are very stout. I haven't had any trouble loading them to 30rd. I did a video on them a bit ago where I toss them around a bit, run over them, etc. They have worked fine. Also they are the tightest fitting magazines in my two Romanian AKs. This doesn't mean they're tough to insert - they go in very smooth and lock in tight, there is absolutely zero wobble at all.

Skip to 3:20 for the Tapco 7.62x39 part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WbsmkHYXTo&list=UU2LvjwL2uz_XecdFl3aHVcQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=294s

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

great video, gonna go dig mine back out and look em over again! might give em a second chance...been in storage since the second day after i received them smile.png (thinking 3 months ago). they did get the looks right this time, would of been nice if they'd gone a little further and steeled the lugs and feed lips.

It would probably raise the price $5 or so but I would gladly pay it to have reinforced US-made mags that look correct in an AK.

No matter what they do, they need to make these in 5.45 and 5.56, and they need to do it yesterday.

• Like 1

It would probably raise the price $5 or so but I would gladly pay it to have reinforced US-made mags that look correct in an AK.

No matter what they do, they need to make these in 5.45 and 5.56, and they need to do it yesterday.

+1. My M10 came with one (surprisingly), and it has worked flawlessly. It fit so tight at first that it shaved the polymer on the sides (leaving plastic scrapings in the receiver), but after a few inserts, was smooth. No wobble in mine, in ANY direction.

I totally agree in that I can't understand why Tapco refuses to put some steel in their mags?! They HAVE to know that a steel reinforced, US mag, would kill on the market! Yet, they continue to gamble on a "less than best, but cheap" reputation. Why?? A SERIOUSLY steel reinforced mag (read: NOT US Palm's ultra thin sheet steel "wrapping") would push them over the top. It would change their product from "that'll do" to "gotta have" for little extra $ in product. As others, I like this mag (looks clean and is robust, for a poly), but would LOVE to see metal added. C'mon Tapco... DO IT ALREADY!!

• Like 1

Honestly guys, I wouldn't make such a stink about missing a steel cage in these mags. They actually have less flex at the feed lips than both the circle 10 and the other steel lined Bulgarian mags I own. For that matter, they have less flex everywhere else on the mag also. These mags are built like tanks out of glass filled nylon polymer. If I'm not mistaken, several gun manufacturers are making gun receivers out of this material. Also, several automotive engine parts have also been replaced by parts made of this stuff, so it's proven to be durable and long lasting.

And for what's it worth, all of my mags load 30 rounds, but the last two are tight.

Honestly guys, I wouldn't make such a stink about missing a steel cage in these mags. They actually have less flex at the feed lips than both the circle 10 and the other steel lined Bulgarian mags I own. For that matter, they have less flex everywhere else on the mag also. These mags are built like tanks out of glass filled nylon polymer. If I'm not mistaken, several gun manufacturers are making gun receivers out of this material. Also, several automotive engine parts have also been replaced by parts made of this stuff, so it's proven to be durable and long lasting.

And for what's it worth, all of my mags load 30 rounds, but the last two are tight.

This is my understanding and opinion as well..I bought my mags "crapco" from dinzag--who i trust ( i figured if he sells'em its worth the chance-didnt pay his current price though-least i think they were a few bux cheaper back then)

While that's all well and good for range use.. I CAN tell you this: I had to shave my SGM mag tabs to fit (took about 1 min with a med file) and ALSO had to do that with some (out of spec?) metal mags. Those metal mag latches had me filing for a good 15 min (w same file) to get them to snap in correctly. Now, I'm not engineer.. but 1 min vs 15 min seems like the steel is stronger.

For range?.. who cares. Any will do. But for a combat mag?.. no way. I'm taking STEEL or STEEL reinforced mags. Polymer does NOT cut it (Iwhen there are steel mags as cheap as these).

Good questions to ask is: how long will the polymer hold up under constant reload (scraping away at the mag latch)? How well will the polymer hold up under FORCE (dropping it, or landing on it) with all pressure on the tabs (I KNOW steel will hold)?

Yes, many of todays "parts" have been replaced with polymer.. however.. NOT load bearing ones.

I love my Tapco slabside mag.. but it is NOT a combat mag (nor does it pretend to meet ANY type of milspec). The only milspec's are Circle 10's (for a reason)... they have STEEL at the load bearing points. Not concerned for range use... VERY concerned for combat use.

Any mag will fail if you abuse it enough, even pistol mags. I had a USGI 1911 mag that had been dropped so much it puked it's base-plate. Welds were completely ripped out.

I have 5 Tapco slab-sides I just purchased. They are a BIG improvement over the "waffle side" mags. Held 30 no problem, with 2 holding 31. Yes, some of the early Tapco mags had follower issues, and wouldn't load to capacity. They learned and evolved. Mine have steel base-plates, which is an improvement over the plastic ones. I only had one i had to file the mag catch about .001 to get it locked in. After a few insertions/extractions, they drop free just like my Chicom mags. I loaded them up, and absolutely zero "lip flex" compared to my older Tapcos.

All in all, they outdid themselves this time. I agree, a 5.45/5.56 version would help many people out. Plus, the orange version is darn close to the Bulgy bakelite mags.

• Like 1

About all I can add here is that I'm not "mil spec" so it would be pretentious of me to demand more of my equipment than I do of myself.

Same here. Seems every day something new hurts on me limiting me more and more. Tendinitis is getting the best of me early at only 42. Don't let your kids play football if they are undersized. It will come back to haunt you.

• Like 1