New S 12 owner starting conversion

Hey everyone just bought a Saiga 12 iz 433 and am in the process of making it reliable and converting it. Figured I'd document it here so I could get some tips and tricks from people who have done it before.

I'm in NY so this is going to be a thumbhole stock conversion because its the best I can do without the possibility of going to prison.

What has been done so far.

Took it to the range Saturday morning, put 75 rounds of a mix of buckshot and slugs = 100% reliable every round chambered and ejected fine.

Next tried some birdshot,(not walmart bulk crap, but a mix of Rem, Fed, Estate) every single round failed to eject. Some almost ejected, but most got shoved right back into the chamber.

Went home smoothed out all rough surfaces, bottom of the carrier, hammer, rails. Went back to the range in the afternoon for another test. 50% failed to eject. However, getting better.

That night polished every surface and noticed one of the rails the carrier rides on was a little to large, the carrier would hang up on it every time. Took out the dremel remove the excess material, smoothed out and polished. Now it rides smooth as silk without the trigger group installed.

Also followed the tutorials on the site and removed a bit of material on the bolt where it rides over the shells and polished it up.

Range test sunday morning. Wont cycle walmart bulk( bought some just to test) but cycled everything else I brought with me that day, 100% for 150 rounds.

So I call that a success!

Parts for conversion ordered

My 922r will be the mags and trigger group.

Stock will be a modified Bulgarian thumbhole take off( have that already, modified it heavily to get it to fit and make it a bit more solid)

Probably going to reuse the trigger guard for now.

I'm sure I will have to address function again when I replace the Trigger group, but I have a good starting point.

I'll post pictures of my progress once I figure out how.

Any tips you guys have, I'm all ears.

Welcome to the forum. beer.gif

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Was the bulk walmart stuff Winchester or Federal? The Winchester is notorious for having problems. The Federal isn't bad though. That's what I'll often use for cheap skeet or playing around at the range.

I imagine you've already done this, but check to see how many ports you have and if they are obstructed at all.

Not sure if you did this or not, but if shells hang up on loading, the culprit is usually a sharp little edge at the front of the extractor cutout. This is especially true with the softer Winchester bulk rounds. Here's the solution for that:

cimg2513d.jpg

Thanks for the tip Corbin! I will look into it.

Ive searched the site but cant seem to find it, can someone tell me the distance between the trigger hole and the pistol grip nut hole? Possibly have a picture so I can clarify the measurements and get a visual. Thanks

Edited by 4x4Blazer

Had a little time to work on the S 12 tonight. Got the all the sporter crap off, re purposed the trigger guard and got the bottom of the receiver painted along with the trigger guard. Then remembered there is an added step of cutting a pistol grip nut hole. I've converted a few rifles and thats always done from the factory.

Here's where I'm at.

post-34414-0-93440500-1349224010_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-32749600-1349224030_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-66587100-1349224274_thumb.png

Finished up the conversion tonight, once my mags and trigger group come in tomorrow I will be ready for a range test. Very happy with the final product.

To finish it up I need a couple more plastic plugs to fill the sporter holes and pick up one of those grind to fit buttpads, For now it just has one of those 1" thick limb-savers on it.

post-34414-0-91510300-1349316617_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-04522200-1349316628_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-92671300-1349316641_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-41271600-1349316655_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So it's been awhile since I've posted but figured it was time for an update. After a lot of work, tweaks and about 900 rounds of low brass this gun now runs 99.9%. I say 99.9% just because the last two outings I had 1 FTE out of 450 rounds, so I cant honestly say its 100% but its damn close. I had to step the spring down to the lighter one that CSS sells, that made all the difference and now cycles all the cheap crap from the hip without a problem.

I have also figured out a way to make standard lock and rock mags not only fit, but work the LRBHO. The mags I have got this to work on are SGM, Promag, the Keepshooting 5 rounders and the mags made for the JTE magwell. Each one need slightly different mods but they all work the LRBHO perfectly. (I did not accomplish this the same way as someone else had posted, I believe my way is more solid and permanent. Not dissing the other guy! but I took a different path to achieve the same goal) If there is an interest in how I accomplished this, I will do a write up with pictures when I get a chance. Let me know.

The CSS mags made for the 030 have worked flawlessly from the start, so I'm not sure why in another thread SGM stated they wont work. In my experience they have worked flawlessly!

I love this fucking gun cant believe I didn't buy one years ago!

post-34414-0-90459700-1353289975_thumb.jpg

post-34414-0-20222800-1353290774_thumb.png

• Like 1