thinking about getting a handgun for CCL?(conealed carry lisence)

so i turned 21 not to long ago and im for sure going to go get a gun on the 26th this month, but im not sure what i want.

im thinking i want a 9mm because i have some ammo already, and its cheap and economical and can carry moderatly more.

but on the other hand, id like a .45 for stopping power and im a fan of big rounds.

i think i may just go with a glock cause it seems pretty solid from everything ive seen and heard, but i am interested in all handguns.

1911s seem nice, and id like to get .357 sw 686 just to get into reloading and plink around with it. i heard those were safe to fire .38s out of and i have a TON of .38 and .357 brass.

but like i said, i just turned 21 and have never over - the - counter form 4473 i think it is purchased a handgun, so what do you guys think would be a good choice if i was wanting a glock 9mm?

Ya got any buddies that have a pistol or two you can try out.

Find a gun shop with a range, tell them you are wanting to buy your first pistol,

they will let you try a few for free, just to get a sale.

G26 is my vote, ammo is at a fair price, easy to reload, change barrels, get a mold,

buy some lead, cast you own boolits. Get the price down to a few (3 to 4)pennys a round, no lie, pennys!

• Like 1

Look at:

S&W Sheild (if you can find one)

Glock 26

Springfield XDs

Walther PPS

All great choices. I am a big fan of 1911's. Currently it is all that I own, but they are not the easiest to CC. I am looking for a good CCW in .45 as well. As Red said, find a seller with a range. It will go a long way in making sure you are happy with your final purchase. Some of the guns that others loved, just didn't feel right when I held them. Some that felt great when I held them, I didn't like when I fired them. Thus far I am leaning towards the Glock just because it is the best balance of everything I am looking for. I wouldn't know that though if I wasn't able to have some range time with each of the pistols I was looking to buy.

I prefer wheel guns. Ruger LCR .357 One can argue that you have less rounds than a semi, but when shit goes down there is no need to worry about putting one in the pipe or a jam. And the reality is for self defense carry.....who is really going to get into a shoot out and need 16 rounds?

The gun is light, reliable, easily concealed. You can target with cheap .38 and carry .357

You will do yourself a favor by adding a front night sight......

Edited by Saiga Power

IMHO, the 9mm is more than adequate for defensive use. That being said, I think smaller is better because you will be more likely to carry it on a regular basis. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 and it is very concealable. A Ruger LC9 would be a good choice too.

"who is really going to get into a shoot out and need 16 rounds?

St. Louis City Police, 4 officers, recently fired almost 60 rounds at one suspect and hit him just 4 times.

Exactly. Read up on the statistics of Police shootings and how many rounds fired vs how many hits. Hit up a course that includes stressed fire and you'll be surprised what a shitty shot you are under stress regardless how great you are from a static range position. Adrenaline affects you immensely. Go run around the block then immediately draw and try to place hits on a target while it is pumping through your veins. You'll see what I'm talking about. For CCW, I either carry a G19 or G23 with their respective mags. Backup mags are G17 or G22 mags. Two reasons for backup mags. One, more ammo. Two, malfunction with the primary mag. Who says wheel guns are the only handgun with a round in the chamber anyway? My semi autos always have one in the pipe. Kind of useless otherwise.

• Like 3

Hello

If I were going to C/C a Glock it would be a 36. As far as I know that is the only model they ever produced specifically for concealed carry, and it's a stalwart performer. Although, I must admit, packin' it hot with a GlockClip in SOB makes you mindful and respectful....For 9mm, I really like the SR9C. A bit larger than I normally like, but an awesome pistol. Remove that retarded mag interlock.

LC9 looks nice, and ought'a be, but that trigger is a POS. Should have put the SR9C trigger in there.

But, as JeauxE states, my hands down favorite in almost every catagory is the Springfield XDS. Shoots/feels like a slimmed-down 1911, and just flat disappears no matter how you elect to carry it. Extra mag's take up no space.

9.5/10 just because nothing's perfect.

JMHO.....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

• Like 1

St. Louis City Police, 4 officers, recently fired almost 60 rounds at one suspect and hit him just 4 times.

Exactly. Read up on the statistics of Police shootings and how many rounds fired vs how many hits. Hit up a course that includes stressed fire and you'll be surprised what a shitty shot you are under stress regardless how great you are from a static range position. Adrenaline affects you immensely. Go run around the block then immediately draw and try to place hits on a target while it is pumping through your veins. You'll see what I'm talking about. For CCW, I either carry a G19 or G23 with their respective mags. Backup mags are G17 or G22 mags. Two reasons for backup mags. One, more ammo. Two, malfunction with the primary mag. Who says wheel guns are the only handgun with a round in the chamber anyway? My semi autos always have one in the pipe. Kind of useless otherwise.

But we're from the internet. We are much more highly trained than police officers.

• Like 2

Sounds like a new poll is needed on the site.....How many years have you carried and how many "shoot outs" have you been in?

Of course, police officers, not included, Just "Joe Public"

I’ve always been a big revolver fan somewhat based on 6 for sure beats a tall stack of maybes in the gun will function department. There are a lot of schools of thought on how far and how many times you could be shooting in a defensive situation and IMHO it’s really not going to be that far and not many shots in a real defense scenario. I figure it if I’m forced to shoot or at least shoot at someone with a pistol they’re in the room with me within 20 feet or less not 20 yards or more away. While being scared shitless is not a good time to remember to release a safety or perform any additional function to make the gun go bang I want to just be able to point it and pull the trigger. A good plain Jane 357 revolver like a S&W 13 would be my 1st choice and a Glock 19 or 23 comes in 2nd.

post-26137-0-39037200-1349891858_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 2

... so what do you guys think would be a good choice if i was wanting a glock 9mm?

9mm is the way to go. The stopping power percentage differences between 9mm, .40, and .45 are not big enough to outweigh the benefit of extra rounds. And if you're trained to shoot 2 or 3 rounds in quick succession to stop the threat and then survey/break tunnel vision, you want as many rounds as you can get.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Glock, but you might find that it's thick for pocket carry. I did, anyway.

I had a Kimber Solo, but I came to a couple conclusions about it: First, the design isn't reliable enough yet for concealed carry, and second, it's too pretty/expensive for a concealed carry gun. Consider that if you have to use your CCW piece, it WILL be confiscated. So buy something that you can part with, not a collector's piece.

1911's aren't well-suited to CCW. Too big, wrong safety configuration. My opinion, learned from trying out a Kimber Ultra Carry. Also too pretty.

Currently, I use a Kahr CW9. So far, so good. Will update if that changes.

I haven't tried any revolvers to say, but there might be merit to the reliability argument.

Edited by Koljec
  • Like 1

It is important to get something you will actually carry all the time.

I started with a SW442 years ago. Even though I have different options now (MK9, XD9SC, SP101), I still carry the little J Frame appendix style often. It is very concealable, comfortable and light.

Good luck with the hunt for your new best friend.

i know its nothing special, but i may get a keltec p11 9mm tonight in trade, ill let you guys know. its not what i really want, but we shall see how it works out.

It's nothing special other than what it does which is exactly what it is supposed to. I prefer the PF9 but the P11 is also up to the task as far as I'm concerned.

I will admit to being puzzled by the revolver fans although I understand their position. In theory. I've ran thousands of rounds through multiple self loaders and never had a failure. Am I just lucky, or is it a non-issue?

what do you guys think would be a good choice if i was wanting a glock 9mm?

I have a Glock 19, it works okay for EDC. Fairly easy to conceal for me at 185cm, 80kg. 15 rounds, always reliable, good after market (as with all Glocks), etc.

It kind of busts my balls due to lack of a safety, and the grip could be nicer I suppose, but it works.

A friend of mine carries a PF9. It shoots well and has always been reliable. The KelTec will do the job if you make sure it works fine (do this for any CCW piece) and carry it.

I find revolvers comfortable to carry and easy to operate. However the MK9 gets carried a lot more than any revolver due to its deep conceal ability. Wouldn't carry a sidearm if I didn't trust its reliability.

You will acquire more firearms in time. Get a piece you can afford now that is reliable and carry it.

Edited by NM0

i know its nothing special, but i may get a keltec p11 9mm tonight in trade, ill let you guys know. its not what i really want, but we shall see how it works out.

It's nothing special other than what it does which is exactly what it is supposed to. I prefer the PF9 but the P11 is also up to the task as far as I'm concerned.

I will admit to being puzzled by the revolver fans although I understand their position. In theory. I've ran thousands of rounds through multiple self loaders and never had a failure. Am I just lucky, or is it a non-issue?

Tim to be honest I have no ideal what the frequency of malfunction is for semi autos and / or revolvers or what is the most common cause for a weapon to have a failure to fire. But in a life and death situation I want the best odds I can get working for me and I feel safer with a good revolver than a good semi auto. I used revolvers, 1911s, Glocks, and some others for years shooting matches plus just plinking and have had very very few failures (and never one on the 1st round chambered), but I’ve never had a revolver not work every time. Problem is in life and death it only takes once.

Any gun beats no gun for defense so if you’re happy with yours that’s the best one going.

• Like 1

+1 to all of that, especially the underlined/red. I could never understand the reasoning to carry an unchambered gun.

With how many attacks/robberies these days are being done by groups of shitheads, I personally would not feel comfortable with only having 5 rounds ready to go. To each his own, though. Just like people say about CCW pieces themselves, this saying also applies to the capacity of said CCW piece; "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Another vote for G19. That's what I carried (and still would, if I didn't move back to NYcry.gif ). I pretty much lived in cargo shorts and t-shirts before, and it concealed just fine. I carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Having 15+1 rounds of 147gr Winchester Ranger T on tap was nice.

Lets dig up this dead horse and re beat it! deadhorse.gif

My opinion fwiw.

Glock

SW MP

SW older steel autos (59XX,)

HK USP (other HK is fine too)

Walther PPQ

SW P99

Walther P99

Look around for a used one. They are cheaper. I buy all my from Police trades. In all the police guns Ive bought I have yet to clear $500 on any singe purchase, including HKs with accessories. They have holster wear but thats about it. Internals are like new. The cheapest I bought was $250 and the most expansive at $475 for an HK.

1911 comes with their own set of pro's and con's. Weight is a personal thing. Some like it some dont. I dont mind it with a proper holster and a real gun belt. Like an AR the 1911 is a type of gun that every company makes. Some good some total garbage.

Make sure you get a good holster and belt. Cant stress that enough. it makes it easier to carry a gun all day. I see guys buying turds all day because its light weight and they can carry it nevermind that its garbage. And they refuse to buy a good belt and holster, which makes a world of diffirance.

9 vs 45! deadhorse.gif

9mm is perfectly fine as a SD round. If you want to stick with "bigger is better" then the 45 is nothing compared to the power of a 10mm, 50AE or the 500, 460 rowland, and a bunch of others. Might as well pack those. The 357 has more ft-lbs of energy then a 45 and most 10mm. Practice with whatever 9 you like. But when you carry BUY QUALITY AMMO!! Yes this means you might have to spend $20 on a box of 20 bullets but there is a reason for it. Some very good SD 9mm are Gold Dots. They are quality ammo that have been verry consistant for a very long time. Ranger is also ggod stuff. Remington Golden Sabers used to be good but lately have been incosistant.

Edited by Arik

My .02 cents for what it's worth........

Get a 9mm, you'll actually practice with it more since ammo is much cheaper. You could have the coolest super round in the world but it doesn't mean anything if you can't actually hit anything with it. Platform wise I prefer Glock, but it's really up to you and what you shoot best with. The Glock 26 is a cool gun and I enjoy mine but for a first handgun I'd go with the G19, it's a good compromise between size, rd count and ability to conceal.

No matter what you choose (I hope it wasn't the Kel-Tec) best of luck to you!