Opinion on conversion

I am getting ready to do a conversion on my new Saiga .223 sporter. I am in California and will be getting a bullet button to be legal as well as following all the other necessary requirements. What I am looking for is advice or opinions on the conversion.

I am looking at CSS's conversion kits as they seem to have it all in one. I am not a gunsmith and the conversion process while it looks straight forward is something I don't want to screw up, lol. If there are other options out there I am open to them. The forum has been a wealth of information and thanks to all that share that information on these forums.

The videos on CSS are spot and will walk you through start to finish. No need for specialized tools, or a vice. There are some other options, but the CSS kit is probably the best bet, and good pricing to boot. Don't forget to get the discount code from their section of the vendors forum. It'll save you a few more dollars.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj8aLz-xY4

Start with this youtube link. There are three videos total, this one being the first. They are the best I found. Also, I really liked the Hogue grip upgrade from CSS. It's worth the 7$. I would not uprade the trigger guard. The round one in the conversion kit fits better. I don't know about the bullet button. Good luck. The Saiga is a MUCH better gun than AMD-65 or the M10-762. Some people have had failure to eject problems with the .223, I've had 2 FTE issues after firing over 1500 rounds since November 2011. Both TULAMMO from Walmart. I shoot wolf or tula exclusively(it's cheap). Also, the steel Galil mags have worked perfectly along with the Orlites. These are the only two mags I've tried. Some people can't use the Galils. They sit to low in the receiver and do not strip the bullet out of the magazine. Good luck, take your time when doing the conversion and have fun.

Edited by muvef

The conversion is easy (especially if you use a "standard AK trigger G2) and ditch the BHO (as I did). I also used CSS and their parts were top notch, nothing was missing, and every part functioned as expected. The easiest way is to just do a "pistol grip" conversion, keep the front end stock, and use SGM mags (to avoid the bullet guide). It may seem a little scary at first when drilling the rivets off the sporter plate (knowing there's no going back, at that point), but it's SOOOO much fun from there (not to mention learning EVERYTHING about your rifle, how it works, and taking pride in what YOU did and the parts that are in it)!

Kudos to you for exercising your "right to keep and bear" in today's Commiefornia (no offense: former CA resident here).

Check conversion forum here and (as you plan) watch your six for all those CA (and Fed) laws and regulations, starting with 922r.

One of the classic threads is here:

http://www.cross-con...rsion/index.htm

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sgt. Raven

The bolt hold open cam will push the trigger spring on the side of the BHO to far, and sometimes needs to be adjusted to properly rest at the same place it does on the other side of the trigger. Not all do it but it does happen . It must be how they twisted the spring.

Just a little tip to make sure your trigger is true.