Sign in to follow this  
mks41507

New Vepr 01 , muzzle cap

Hello everyone, new to these forums. I just bought a VEPR 308 and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it looks like my barrel is threaded or not, and if it is, how hard is it to remove the muzzle nut? Thanks for your help!

IMG_1777_zps60168b6e.jpg

IMG_1775_zps622aa5ba.jpg

I maybe wrong but I would knock the pin out and see if you can unscrew it. From the looks of the bottom pic your barrel is threaded and the muzzle nut is pinned on. JMO. Also welcome to the forum and remember you came here willingly because there is no cure for the sickness you now have "The Russian Saiga/Vepr flu" you can only manage the symptoms by buying a new Saiga or Vepr every 2 to 12 months this will surpress the flu like symptoms. LOL

Edited by SCHULTZE

HAHA yeah I already have a saiga .223 that is converted that I bought about a year ago, that was after buying a couple mosin nagants. My disease is progressing. I know nothing about pinned muzzle caps, do they just knock out straight with a punch and hammer?

Who did you order your vepr from? I just placed an order from centerfiresystems, don't know if it will have the muzzle cap. I already have a saiga 308 20 inch.so I will do a comparison side by side.

I bought this rifle from classicfirearms, WPA said they believed this new batch from classic arms has the threaded barrels.

They installed a G2 trigger group, but it appears that the bolt carrier is catching a little on the top of the hammer. I have read that this will eventually wear in from friction as "polish" itself, but is there any worry that this could cause any other damage other than cosmetic?

From the look of your pic the pin will drive straight out with a hammer and punch just dont go caveman with the hammer it shouldnt be that tight then it should just unscrew

This is where I'm at in the process, I though this was going to be easy. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I cant get this freakin pin out. Right about the flash line on the second pic is where the pin is.

photobucket-9443-1349487647034_zpsae01935f.jpg

photobucket-25652-1349487447306_zpsf3f12dfb.jpg

I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel. Just cut a very little at a time. Expose more and more of the pin. Score a little notch on the side of the pin, and at some point, you set a screwdriver in the notch and tap the pin out with a hammer. Tap lightly.

photobucket-19046-1349503159336_zpsd1e39a22.jpg

Thanks for everyone for their help. I REALLY appreciate it, Never took on this task before. Problem resolved.Thanks for the link tnmarktx. Hero walked me through it, All good to go now, just need to find the right brake.

Be a bit careful on the brake you choose. Just because it is for 7.62, doesn't mean it will work for a 308. For instance I asked Tapco if any of their brakes would work for my 308, and they recommended against it.