Competition only, barrel porting....

I don't see any info on barrel porting (ala holes drilled in it). Not rocket science.,it works. Having a Saiga puts me in open class anyhow, may as well have all the benifets...... If you want to sprnd a lot of $$$$$, Brownells even offers a porting aid. I have a Poly-Choke so a screw on unit is a no no....

Are the R&R guns ported or are they using the clamp-on devise w/ holes?.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it done to my trap gun over ten years ago

Made a noticeable reduction in muzzle climb

Worth every penny

The company I used machined the holes with an EDM machine to prevent any internal burs

Even if you do get internal burrs, a good spiral wire brush will clean them out in a minute or two.

If you are serious about it, you could do it with a drill press, and/or get a mid barrel comp such as R&R offers.

The thing you need to know is that if your gun performs marginally, you may need to do additional gas/friction work to keep it running. The general rule is that if you have any holes in your barrel closer to the chamber than 12" you probably need to move the gas block. I would like to see the install specs for the user servicable one he just mentioned, because that sounds like it is intended to be further down the barrel.

The pro builders like R&R put the porting and comps back further to take advantage of the thrust from venting gasses at the middle of the barrel before the pressure peak drops. They get a much bigger boost than devices at or near the end of the barrel. They pay for it with machining and tuning. Once that is done though they have extremely low recoil guns that stay level when fired.