Shell length to feed my new Vepr?

Is there a best shell length to use in the system? How about the loads?

I am going to order some ammo (well maybe a fair amount) and I have no real experience with shotguns (last fired a 12 gauge about 50 years ago) and their myriad of shells. Three or four lengths and a semi-infinite range of loads. Most of my ammo will simply go to non-defense and non-hunting uses (e.g., screwing around). If it makes sense, I am thinking about buying some of the more reloadable rounds (like Remington STS from what I have read) so I can reload if I really get into this. The low ends of cheapie stuff seems to be around $0.21 and the STS around $0.33. Once that is resolved, what sort of load should I buy for my stated purpose? I understand shot size, of course, but some of the other descriptions by purpose are not helping me a lot. I will get some #00 or slugs for use around the house. I am not thinking very light loads for general use either.

Well, you might start by just hitting Walmart a time or two and grabbing a few boxes of assorted ammo. See what it will reliably run and make note of it. Make note of the stuff that it just won't eat, as well. Once you figure out what fits within your personal criteria and will run in the weapon, then you can make a bulk purchase of ammo with some degree of confidence that you will be happy with your decision.

On another note, my VEPR 12s will run off of nearly any 2 3/4"- 3" ammo when I am done with them. It could come in extremely handy someday.

ETA: If you live alone and there are no close neighbors, Buck or Slugs around the home is fine. I personally would not use anything larger than #6 in my home. There are too many potential unintended targets for me to feel comfortable with larger shot or a slug. The stuff keeps on trucking through flesh and walls and can still have enough force to cause injury or death a room or two away. That would be very undesirable, for me. I lost a child to a car accident and I couldn't imagine how I would take the loss of another due to my own actions. Evaluate and prepare accordingly.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Thanks. I do understand the defense ammo issues. I would not use slugs inside, but "around the house". I am not certain about shot size smaller than 00. I have looked at a bunch of evaluations and the smaller pellets seem to be less apt to penetrate far enough. They make a real mess, but not necessarily a stop. And stop is the objective. But mostly inside will be handguns. A graduated response from handgun, to shotgun, to rifle. And yes I am pretty isolated.