A few pics of my MKA

This is what I've done so far, was lucky enough to have the parts (FB) sent out here to Hawaii and put it together at my shop. Also did some internal mods, with a custom FCG with anti-walk pins, custom piston & rod, light radius profiling to aid feeding and polished most of the contact areas to reduce friction. It runs great and is very fun to shoot.

8064629582_b6e0148bf2.jpg

8064629170_e0f465b738.jpg

8064628643_715bbcbc6b.jpg

8064628225_7925ea4a5c.jpg

Edited by PYRO

love those firebird handgaurds.

those and toothandnail's make the MKA look actually good

how is the balence with that rocket cone on the front (no idea what else to call it)

looks beastly with those

I think its a mid barrel compensator. Jim was talking about it in the other thread when one user was complaining about his permanently attached muzzle brake

...get fucked

So back on topic...

So PYRO how is the balance of the MKA with the "mid barrel comp?" (because god knows if I call it anything but the thread will go off on a tangent)

dont get mad brah, just busting your balls a little

I'm actually interested in getting a comp too but other things are calling my attention first... like getting my hands on a FB handguard or replacing my daily carry with a custom glockmeister g27. I'd like to know if there really is a noticeable difference. Does it really aid that much to make it worth the cost?

Thanks for nice comments.

The bolt release lever is the B.A.D. for AR15, just cut it to fit this gun's factory release.

The weight of the gun as it is, without the mags, is just under 9lbs (small added weight on the piston rod). With the loaded coupled mags, it gets a bit heavy, at about 13lbs. These weights where measured with a hook type luggage scale, so not real accurate. This is my "3 gun" shotgun for now, so the weight shouldn't be a big deal,,,,,,,,it's not like its my bird hunting gun,,but it might work good for moose or bear next time we go to Alaska :-).

The mid barrel comp works great, reducing felt recoil by about 1/3 (IMO), the MBC and the thick Limbsaver really tame the recoil to the point where I can shoot for hours where I couldn't before( I have 4 fused vertebra in my upper back). I also use a FB MBC of a slightly different design on my Saiga 12 with even better results but it isn't as friendly to other's standing to the side of my shoot position.

As for balance, the MBC is a very light aluminum part and I don't notice any difference,,,,I did add some weight to the front for a better feel ( which is a totally personal choice).

I like it a lot!!!!

Just to let you know, i had the same Barska you have. It held up GREAT on every gun it was mounted to. I even gave it fantastic reviews. UNTILL it saw my MKA. With 1oz slugs it didnt last very long with fast repetition shots. I saw it go flying off out of my peripheral vision, looked down and the mounts were still intact, broke between the mounts and battery compartment. It still turns on, but no way to mount it now. Just a heads up.

I like it a lot!!!!

Just to let you know, i had the same Barska you have. It held up GREAT on every gun it was mounted to. I even gave it fantastic reviews. UNTILL it saw my MKA. With 1oz slugs it didnt last very long with fast repetition shots. I saw it go flying off out of my peripheral vision, looked down and the mounts were still intact, broke between the mounts and battery compartment. It still turns on, but no way to mount it now. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the warning, for a cheap knock off, it has worked very good. When I first shoot my MKA, before the Barska and most of the mods, the gun had a brutal recoil to it. Now, after the work that has been done, it shoots much lighter, so hopefully the red dot will last a bit more.

Did you fabricate the lower rail for your FB hand guard? I just got mine back from them and it did not have a lower rail? So I was supposed to get a comp put on but there was some confusion and mine shipped without it being on. I can either send it back in to get it on or receive a credit. Is the comp a must have in your opinion? How's the reliablity with it on there? I shot mine yesterday only 120 rounds or so but I did not have a single feeding issue with the gun or the 10 round mag.

Did you fabricate the lower rail for your FB hand guard? I just got mine back from them and it did not have a lower rail? So I was supposed to get a comp put on but there was some confusion and mine shipped without it being on. I can either send it back in to get it on or receive a credit. Is the comp a must have in your opinion? How's the reliablity with it on there? I shot mine yesterday only 120 rounds or so but I did not have a single feeding issue with the gun or the 10 round mag.

The lower rail is from FB also, it is the same as the top rail and will also fit the side opposite the charging handle.

The mid barrel comp is great at reducing recoil in higher power ammo, you will not feel much difference using low recoil ammo but the more powerful the ammo, the more the mid barrel comp helps reduce the recoil.

As for reliability, I have had no problems with it, from what Jim told me, it needs to be installed in the correct location on the barrel for everything to work together, which I did. If you decide to have Jim install one on your gun, I am sure it will work correctly.

So basically, if you move it back to where it takes best advantage of the gas they gun will need major gas work?

That does look lovely, although heavy. I have always been impressed with that charging handle system.

Jim @ firebird does good looking work, but his prices just seem insulting.

So basically, if you move it back to where it takes best advantage of the gas they gun will need major gas work?

That does look lovely, although heavy. I have always been impressed with that charging handle system.

Jim @ firebird does good looking work, but his prices just seem insulting.

That is not what I said.

Where it is positioned on my gun is where it needs to be to take advantage of this gas system.

If you can't justify the cost, buy something else. I have no problem with the cost, knowing I am getting the best parts available and knowing that Jim will stand behind everything he does. Coming from custom fab shop, I understand the cost involved with bring new parts to the market, and considering the design and quality, the prices do not seem "insulting" in the least.

Edited by PYRO
  • Like 1

I was mostly referring to the prices on his mag extensions. They seem high no matter how I look at it, especially when you consider that you still need a factory mag to go with them.

firebird charging system looks like the benchmark for MKA to me, and I wish something similar was offered for my saigas.

I understand that he and his direct competitors are catering to a customer base for which a $3500 gun is not that big a deal when compared to their practice ammo bills. I don't blame ferrari for having high prices either, but I still look askance when I see what they charge for a carbon fiber shift knob. If you can afford it, I don't fault you for getting exactly what you want.

To clarify about the comp location, I was saying that further back it would knock out more recoil, but he had to mount it further forward as a compromise to reliability for the gas system. I have wanted an MBC for years, and would love to try his.

The mka has a very deep taper on the barrel that pretty much dictates how far back the comp can be placed.

I have custom operating systems to allow short dwell times, or short barrels.

For the record...Firebird mags consist of a machined extension, a new 2rnd mag, a new spring and a new floorplate.

The mag gets the feed lips reshaped and adjusted to spec, then they get a molybdenum internal coating along with the follower.

After assembly they are tested and packaged.

With the cost of the components and labor...we make just about NOTHING on mags.

The ONLY reason we build them is ...they are nessessary equipment for 3gun and our customers need them.

Trust me...I will be happy when I dont have to spend days at a time building mags, and can go on to other products.

Jim

• Like 2

Interesting to know. Thanks for the info. When I saw the prices, I thought a customer had to provide his own mag. That moves it into the category of necessary evil for both you and the customer rather than exploiting your customers because you can.

I've thought many of your posts were informative, but I never realized why before.

While the cost still makes me cringe, I can see your side of it, and I also see that up until a post I saw earlier today, you were the only one willing to step up and make them commercially. Almost no-one selling any accessory for that gun would have enough market unless someone is offering 10 shot magazines.

Since I now know I can give the compliment directly, I really like the lines on that MBC for that gun. It fits the style.

• 3 weeks later...

Comes with the top rail, I purchased the bottom rail as an extra. The bottom rail is the same as the top, which can also be used on the side.

Edited by PYRO

Got a couple questions for ya pyro. First, is that the "short" version of the firebird handguard? Also, I was wondering of you have the original mka that came with red and white "gems" in the the receiver, I only ask because that's what I have an I am wondering what you did to get the flip up rear sight onto the non-mil spec picatinny rail. Thanks for any help, I just ordered the FB handguard and a few 10 rounders, so I want to get the sights setup figured out ASAP.

Sorry for the slow response, I am at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this week and havent had much time to check this forum.

The hand guard I have is one of earliest ones FB made,,,,,whatever Jim made first, is the one I have. I know that doesnt really answer your question, but that is all I know.

The gun in the photos is one on the very first ones after the change to the standard rail and no "gems".

Edited by PYRO
  • 1 month later...