Extractor issues, maybe.

I've bought a Saiga 12 recently -already converted and lightly used- and no matter what I shoot out of it (tried 2.75 buckshot, birdshot, and slugs alike out of 5, 10, and 20 round mags) I get a FTE every single time. With the gas settings at #2 (even tried #1 for the hell of it) the action cycles back just fine (so I am doubting this is an issue with the gas block), however the empty shells always either stovepipe or just don't go anywhere at all. As I've heard the guns usually spew em out pretty far and this just isn't happening. Disassembling the gun and working the action manually without the recoil spring, the empty shells again just fall straight down.

Admittedly I am brand new to this but it seems to me like an extractor problem. Now, this is my first Saiga 12 so I'm not entirely sure what those're supposed to look like, but I'm suspiscious that this ain't it.

You guys have any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do?

post-44729-0-14301000-1349742839_thumb.jpg

If you hand cycle it does it eject? Does it move past the hammer all the way back easily? Does it have a rubber recoil buffer at the rear of the spring? if it cycles all the way back with a pinky finger, try cleaning out the piston chamber, it will collect plastic from the wad as it passed the ports. I had problems this weekend and it was full of shavings. The piston should also just slap around in the chamber after its cleaned. You can polish the bolt carrier as well if it doesn't cycle easily by hand. you can also buy a better gas plug and piston that has 4 settings and allows more gas by. My old plug could be backed out 2 full turns to number 2 and it would cycle better as well. Did the previous owner have problems? If it hangs up on the hammer the person converting may not have shaped it like a stock one. Lots of things it could be..... keep us posted

They'll pop off the claws just fine every time either hand cranking or firing, trouble is they don't go at much of an angle. Hand cycling with all the gusto I can muster I can get them to leave the port but they only travel about two inches at most. As far as internal friction goes everything moves back very smoothly and it cycles with minimal effort. It has no recoil buffer and the piston chamber is clean as a whistle. Rides just a tad on the hammer but not enough to make cycling difficult, feels and looks just the same as my other AKs if that means anything.

So in short it cycles smoothly but the shells still just kinda plop, even hard hand cycling.

Actually now that I've read around a bit it seems like that hammer resistance is causing enough hang up to stop it from getting enough speed to eject hard enough.

(had to use two hands but with some extra elbow grease I managed to get one to eject "normally")

Hammer moves down a good fourth of an inch, I feel just polishing it wouldn't do much good and taking about 1/8 of metal from the hammer might solve the problem.

What do you think?

Some other relevant information, the gas port is a 3-hole. After complete disassembly I can easily poke a standard paperclip through each one with lots of wiggle room. I'll get around to working the hammer (it's a Tapco G2 trigger, by the way) on a grinder for about 1/8" and see how she runs after that.

Don't grind your hammer! Or next you'll be about us about light strikes. Just contour the squared edges to a smooth radius. Take your dust cover off, observe where the hammer strikes the firing pin, leave that area alone.after contouring the squared edges pilotage the entire hammer face, and underside of the bolt carrier. Don't forget your rails on the gun and the slots on the sides of your carrier.

• Like 1

I'll keep that in mind, I'll try to just soften up the edges a bit, may as well polish everything up a tad more too.

While I'm at it since I haven't replaced the spring (or anything else, really) would it be worth it to just go ahead and get the reliability kit as well?

I tend to agree with torkit I was getting FTE even after polishing the bolt and rounding and polishing the hammer and carrier checking the ports and making sure it slides smooth after that I still got

FTE then I changed the springs both of them I've not had a problem with it since, I also added a recoil buffer pad just to be safe.

before you go buying anything, just pull out the hammer and see if it cycles the same with out it. you shouldn't be using 2 hands to cycle it. the saiga 12 hammer is cut significantly different than the AK hammer which a tapco is. The grinding is on the back, not the striking surface, it hits on the receiver, plus teh trigger can be a problem as well, but usually not what your describing

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/33023-fcg-install-problems/page__hl__trigger+group

....... feels and looks just the same as my other AKs if that means anything.

Try swapping the FCG with one of your AKs (if you have a FCG that's not a Tapco G2).

The stock profile on the G2 is a problem, it needs to be more like the stock S-12 profile.

The hammer, being the G2, does sit a lot higher yeah. It gives a significant amount of resistance where it has to be pushed down 1/4 of an inch or so when the bolt moves rearward which is why I considered grinding it down a bit.

Other than that I'm noticing that a loaded mag puts up a fair bit of resistance as well so polishing the conflicting surfaces may help a bit as well.

I'm having trouble finding a good reference for what a reprofiled G2 hammer should look like, after lurking the forums a bit it seems like there was one once upon a time but it was deleted?

Suppose I'll just go the tiniest bit at a time and test her out in between.

Okay first up I got a side by side comparison of an UNMODIFIDED Tapco G2 next to a polished, Saiga 12 stock hammer. You'll notice that it's pretty extreme difference. But keep in mind that it doesn't require THAT MUCH off the hammer face, just the angles need to be removed.

post-32655-0-49479900-1349838897_thumb.jpg

Now here is the G2 installed in my S12 you'll see the profile isn't that extreme. This is a 3 port gun .070" ports. And has no reliabilty issues, but I have completely polished the carrier and bolt.

post-32655-0-64470600-1349839616_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of where the hammer strikes the pin, try not to remove too much from this area, if any at all!

post-32655-0-75264600-1349839706_thumb.jpg

Edited by poolingmyignorance

In my last post first link. There is a better pic. Did it cycle easier without the hammer in?

Just noticed your top pick. That does show the difference well. Ive been searching for those old how pics from 2009 or 10. Still searching. Hard on smart phones

That is going to help tremendously, thank you very much.

And yes utah, effortlessly so.

I should have all the supplies I need for polishing up the whole thing and re-profiling the hammer in a few days, wish me luck, eh?

Yes good luck. Probably why your new shotty was lightly used. After you get your trigger resolved, see if it cycles target shells. If not break it in with 200 or so 00 buck rounds and try the polishing. After that consider drilling the 4rth gas hole or the low brass reliablity kits. Mine works fine with just the plug and piston upgrades and stock springs

Try the polishing before the X-hundred rounds, thats kinda the point of doing it.

Price some 220, 600 grit sand paper and a polishing wheel for your dremel with some rouge vs 200-300rnd of 12ga slugs and tell me which is cheaper.

the point is seeing what functions and what doesnt, these things have to be broken in

No Sir. What exactly is it that you think"breaking in" does? It hones moving parts via friction of the action. That is all. This can be supplemented by virtually working the Acton manually as well. Professional builders guaranty their guns run new out the fruit with no breaking in. How? By refining the action.Most reprofile, and some even do a nickle coating. Hundreds of rounds are not necessary to make your gun function properly. If you can get a few factory mags to cycle low brass from the hip, your gun works fine. (assuming you don't have am over gas issue) but that's another topic.

Edited by poolingmyignorance