maadi crutch folder kit finished

I bought a maadi kit from atlantic a couple weeks ago and finished it last friday. this was my first attempt at a kit build and i didnt have much in the way of tools.I meant to take pictures of riveting but when i got to that i didnt stop until i was finished with the whole rifle.the hardest part for me was drilling all the holes in the blank and welding in the rails.everything was done with hand tools.someone will call me on my mistake i'm sure

post-44196-0-13177100-1349746926_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-72963100-1349746959_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-40115900-1349747013_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-44063600-1349747121_thumb.jpg

post-44196-0-24881500-1349747142_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I heat treated the entire receiver,rails,pin holes and I used a dead blow hammer to install the barrel.I know allot of people will be against this method but it worked great I just used a spare barrel nut to protect the barrel and threads and started with a rubber mallet and once that quit making progress i switched to a dead blow and everything worked out fine.I took it out Saturday and put 140 rounds through it and it performed flawlessly.

Edited by red308
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No one called ya out, so I won't either. That's a nice looking kit. Does that particular stock just bolt onto the rear tang?

After converting two Saigas, I'm looking at a bunch of Bulgarian 5.45 parts in a box, a Polish 80% receiver, a two ton hydraulic jack (Walmart), a pair of 24" bolt-cutters (also Walmart) and a hand-drill.

I should be able to fab a simple spot welder from parts of an old microwave oven (YouTube) and also fab a $50 hydraulic press using 1" all-thread and angle-iron (YouTube). A hammer and mallet are Option #2.

How did the riveting go? Did you heat the rivets. I've heard that they smash pretty easy when red hot.

I don't have a shop or even a garage, just a good vise, a good size kitchen to work in, and an understanding wife :).

Making it all come together should be satisfying (Hmm, I wonder if I should build the 7.62 receiver that I accidentally ordered... ;P

Did you headspace it or just cross your fingers?

Inspect it carefully after each outting.

Nice gun! Good job!

Edited by Sim_Player

the head-spacing was done with three different brands of ammo and just tapped the barrel and kept checking it turned out fine.I did not heat the rivets just cold pressed them with a pair of modified bolt cutters they smashed easy.the stock attaches just like a wood stock does.

Edited by red308
  • 10 months later...