Is a box-stock RAAC 16" SAIGA worth a WASR U/F in trade?

Trying to trade my low-miles, untouched/unmolested RAAC-imported SAIGA in a FTF deal for a WASR U/F (or any well-built kit U/F) - you'd think I was asking for free money by the lack of interest.

Am I being overly optimistic of the value of my SAIGA? Should I just give it up and hang on to this?

Thanks!

EntireRightside_zps32293cd6.jpg

Left_zps48d2c96a.jpg

Saiga's are a dud for resale. They are cheap enough to get new that most people don't consider buying a used one. Add to that, that most people who are planning a "conversion/restoration" are picky about what/how it's done and prefer to do it themselves. That yours is unmolested is a major plus... however most modders would pay the extra for a "virgin", as they will be doing a lot of work to it, thus want a fresh canvas to start with. Just my opinion.

You'll probably take a serious hit when/if you sell it, so I'd keep it! Convert/restore it and enjoy it!

• Like 1

I think in the long run you'll be happier with a converted saiga. It's not impossible to have an underfolder trunion installed on your saiga, and end up with a great gun.

+1000. Between my Wasr and Siaga.. the Saiga blows it away in build quality and fit. They both are different rifles. The Wasr is an AKM, the Saiga is a 74/100 series. They both work. Beyond that, though.. the Saiga is MUCH nicer to look at :-)

I own a few AKM's and a few Saigas. They retail for about the same in my area, which is due to Saiga's growing popularity.

If you can (financially), keep the Saiga and buy the underfolder. Two is better than one!

However, if you can not, (and I can relate) try to sell the Saiga outright. You will never get a good trade-in value at the shops.

Yours has the extra Y stamp which means that it is more desirable to somebody looking to make an exact replica of a 103. I'd say put it up for sale then buy the underfolder.

Many have the "Y" stamp. Heck.. even my romanian M10 (Wasr) has the "Y" stamp. This means nothing. The "Y" stamp is the location for the "full auto" sear/lever, which no one can use... so it's a moot point.

The only thing that may work in your favor is the lack of 7.62x39 saigas on the market now. There are almost gone from the retail market. I have heard some will be coming into the country in october, but who knows. When they do however, the value of your rifle will go down.

A couple years ago when I bought my saiga, a used 2002 model, from gunbroker for 420dollars, there was a severe drought. It was the only place I could find one, so I paid more for it. A few months later they were selling new for 350 once they were available again.

About your trade, I really dont think the gun dealer would do it. Wasr rifles are running around 500 on the low end anymore. It certainly wouldnt be profiting for the dealer you sold it to, if he traded straight up.

It would suck to give a dealer your saiga and a 100-200 bucks (probably the deal hed make you) for a wasr. Especially, when you can add that money to your saiga and have a nicely converted ak. The saiga is a way better, and better looking rifle.

My humble opinion: Convert it.

Edited by Boomsick42

2 years ago I bought my 7.62 Saiga for $249 shipped from centerfiresystems.com now they are in the $400 range..and good luck finding one....its a russian AK at the end of the day built in the same factory as Mr. Kalashnikov works at...I'll take a Russian based AK vs el cheapo and convert it