Are there any UK Owners of Vepr 12

Hi

I intend to order a Vepr 12 from Rusmilitary for UK PSG and wanted to hear from anyone in the UK has one and their personal experiances with them.

Thanks

Steve

Barrel length is an issue. They are coming in at nearly 27" which is really too long for psg in my opinion.If you want to add a decent brake this will add another 3-5".. I have however seen a few on the circuit so maybe an actual owner will chip in. I shoot a 24" S12 which as you know is the UK minimum barrel length for this type of firearm, and this is really beyond what is practical. The top guys at the World shoot were using considerably shorter guns to very good effect.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to take the Vepr to a Gunsmith and have the barrel took down to 24" and then threaded for a Saiga Muzzle brake after. Hopefully it will make it better performing. On a side note, is it possible to shorten it further and have a fixed muzzle brake still meeting the 24" law in the UK. I have read the Firearms Act and it is a little vague.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to take the Vepr to a Gunsmith and have the barrel took down to 24" and then threaded for a Saiga Muzzle brake after. Hopefully it will make it better performing. On a side note, is it possible to shorten it further and have a fixed muzzle brake still meeting the 24" law in the UK. I have read the Firearms Act and it is a little vague.

You may have problems getting an RFD to cut down the barrel unless you first remove it from the receiver. This is not desperately straightforward. I am in the same predicament as you regarding chopping the barrel and affixing a Brake. This was a reply I had on a diff. forum. I think it would be allowed, but removing the barrel (and replacing it) to get the work done could make it more trouble than its worth. If you manage to find some one prepared to do the work with the barrel still attached let me know.

Since it is illegal under the firearms acts to shorten a shotgun barrel or rifle barrel to below the legal minimum unless you are a dealer and are doing it for the purpose of cutting back to decent metal to extend it again (as you would when re-barrelling a side by side) - please see the guidance notes:

2.32 However, section 7(3) of the 1988 Act

exempts from the provisions of section 7(2)

any firearm where the barrel has been

shortened by a registered firearms dealer for

the sole purpose of replacing part of it so as

to produce a barrel not less than 24 inches

in length.

I had my s12 barrel chopped to 24" too, the barrels are heavy

If anyone in the UK is after some 8rd factory rock and lock mags I have 4 up for grabs

Did you remove the barrel first?. As you were not reducing the barrel below the legal 24" minimum, I guess you could do it yourself. Only reducing below the legal limit seems to require an RFD.see above.

I have the Magwell version so cant use the R&L.

Edited by dochoc

You can chop it built up but have to be carefull of internal burs, the barrels are chrome lined to you have to be careful not to chip it when cutting

Removing the barrell was easy, there are loads of threads on here about it

Makes it easier to cut down in a lathe and rethread for a choke or muzzle break

I've got one from Oleg m8 ,

The barrel does need chopping back a bit to make it perfect.There are 3 options chop it back to 24" and get it threaded for a polychoke(which will add a couple back on) do the same thing but chop it back further and permanently fix the polychoke on (this will add about 1" over because you can't count the removable bit of the choke) and 3 Buy a Molot Gk-01 brake get the barrel chopped WAY back and re threaded internally for your original chokes and then get your brake permanently attached. You will need a long handled choke tool but they are easy enough to make.

I'm probably gonna go for option 3 eventually but i suspect its gonna cost a fair amount.

Mind you mine cycles 24g cartridges with the long barrel and yes i do sporting clays with it :)

Thanks for the info, I am just waiting for my FAC to be sorted and then I too will be off to Oleg with cash in hand. Is there anything that I should be aware of with the Vepr.

Also if you do chop the barrel can you let me know who did it for you and waht it cost. I have seen quite a few threads on people chopping and threading the barrel themselves but I am not that practical :-)

The barrel does need chopping back a bit to make it perfect.There are 3 options chop it back to 24" and get it threaded for a polychoke(which will add a couple back on) do the same thing but chop it back further and permanently fix the polychoke on (this will add about 1" over because you can't count the removable bit of the choke) and 3 Buy a Molot Gk-01 brake get the barrel chopped WAY back and re threaded internally for your original chokes and then get your brake permanently attached. You will need a long handled choke tool but they are easy enough to make.

I'm probably gonna go for option 3 eventually but i suspect its gonna cost a fair amount.

Mind you mine cycles 24g cartridges with the long barrel and yes i do sporting clays with it smile.png

Hi Abbadon

How would you fix the molot brake to the barrel permanently? I believe the current Brake is forged aluminium which obviously could not be welded to the barrel. Early brakes were made in steel which would be ideal. Do you have a source of these steel brakes? This is the route that I am currently trying to go down but I cant find a steel molot brake!

Mind you mine cycles 24g cartridges with the long barrel and yes i do sporting clays with it smile.png

Hi Abbadon

How would you fix the molot brake to the barrel permanently? I believe the current Brake is forged aluminium which obviously could not be welded to the barrel. Early brakes were made in steel which would be ideal. Do you have a source of these steel brakes? This is the route that I am currently trying to go down but I cant find a steel molot brake!

Molot has never made Muzlle brake from steel except a dozen of Efimov design muzzle brake, known as Polygon, Vsevolod Ilyns design muzzle brake, known as Molot GK-1, made from aluminum with steel insert that glued to Al MB body with loctite.

Pic of Efimovs muzzle brake-compensator (Polygon) made by Polygon, modified by Vsevolod Ilyn

IMG_1538.JPG

Pic of Efimovs muzzle brake-compensator (PSH-2) made by Gunstuning Laboratories and Molot Flash hider

Molot_Vepr_12_Muzzle_Attachments_220910_002.jpg

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by Molot from Ti

Molot%2520Custom%2520Edition%2520Titanium%2520GK-01.002.JPG

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by Molot Arms from Al

IMG_1341.jpg

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by IZMASH from Al

IMG_1362.JPG

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 1

Hi Abbadon

Molot has never made Muzlle brake from steel except a dozen of Efimov design muzzle brake, known as Polygon, Vsevolod Ilyns design muzzle brake, known as Molot GK-1, made from aluminum with steel insert that glued to Al MB body with loctite.

Pic of Efimovs muzzle brake-compensator (Polygon) made by Polygon, modified by Vsevolod Ilyn

IMG_1538.JPG

Pic of Efimovs muzzle brake-compensator (PSH-2) made by Gunstuning Laboratories and Molot Flash hider

Molot_Vepr_12_Muzzle_Attachments_220910_002.jpg

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by Molot from Ti

Molot%2520Custom%2520Edition%2520Titanium%2520GK-01.002.JPG

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by Molot Arms from Al

IMG_1341.jpg

Pic of Vsevolod Ilyns muzzle brake-compensator GK-01 made by IZMASH from Al

IMG_1362.JPG

Thanks for clearing that up. The reason I was after a steel Brake ,,was that due to the barrel length laws in the UK the Brake would need to be permanently fixed to the barrel so it cannot be removed. Maybe the Al version could be silver soldered as a permanent fix?

Thanks for clearing that up. The reason I was after a steel Brake ,,was that due to the barrel length laws in the UK the Brake would need to be permanently fixed to the barrel so it cannot be removed. Maybe the Al version could be silver soldered as a permanent fix?

I repeat again ALL Al version has steel insert, glued to Al Body. You can also glue steel insert with loctite to barrel. To remove MB after loctite, you'll need high temp.

• Like 1

I repeat again ALL Al version has steel insert, glued to Al Body. You can also glue steel insert with loctite to barrel. To remove MB after loctite, you'll need high temp.

Glueing with loctite would not unfortunately be considered a permanent fix in the uk. Welding or brazing/silver soldering is the only thing that would be allowed.

Glueing with loctite would not unfortunately be considered a permanent fix in the uk. Welding or brazing/silver soldering is the only thing that would be allowed.

You still can weld steel insert to the barrel and pin and loctite aluminum body to welded steel insert, IMHO it's better then to pin the barrel. After all be done your GK-01 will we be compleatly none removable.

• 4 months later...

You still can weld steel insert to the barrel and pin and loctite aluminum body to welded steel insert, IMHO it's better then to pin the barrel. After all be done your GK-01 will we be compleatly none removable.

Still looking into this and have found a section 5 rfd/gunsmith who is looking into it will let you know :)

• 6 months later...

I have just treated myself to a VEPR 12 from Oleg too.

If you need some 5 round Molot mags at a bargain price, let me know !!

I was also looking into shortening to either 24" plus brake or even 24" inc brake somehow permanently pinned on ?