Why convert the front end of the 5.45?

Hello to all,

As a new forum member, I'd like to say thanks to all of you for contributing so much important information and advice concerning the 5.45 Saiga. After having built/owned....then sold many different variants of the 5.45, I have settled on the semi-converted Saiga as the perfect weapon for my purposes. Combined with a PK-AS red dot, the Saiga has proven for me to be a perfect rifle for daylight range shooting at 50m and 100m. I'm curious to know if others here prefer to leave the front end "as is". Removing the fsb and gas block, due to the welding (rather than pinning), can only weaken the steel in those locations of the barrel. Compared to my Arsenal Saiga SGL31-84, I sense no difference in recoil, despite the lack of the threaded barrel/muzzle brake combination. On a side note, I recently viewed a documentary about the Beslan school hostage massacre a few years back in North Ossetia, and noticed a semi-converted Saigas used by civilian partrols during the childrens' recess. The playground is patrolled by armed civilian guards to this day.

Thanks for the reply, RSkibinski. :)

Interesting! Perhaps I'm wrong, but I understand that the "dimples" are created by intense heat/welding, which is a much less labor-intensive process than pinning.

Hammer, were you going to use your current 5.45 for this project?

no, i have a saiga 5.45 iz340 in classic ak74 configuration that i don't plan to change except for a bulgy plum set, near the top of the gun bucket list is an rpk74m built with a russian rpk receiver, so i'll be buying a vepr 5.45 for this project

Edited by Russian Hammer

no, i have a saiga 5.45 iz340 in classic ak74 configuration that i don't plan to change except for a bulgy plum set, near the top of the gun bucket list is an rpk74m built with a russian rpk receiver, so i'll be buying a vepr 5.45 for this project

Roger that. Id try to find a 20" model for that role. On my Vepr, the FSB is pinned, but the gas block is dimpled. I wish they were both pinned.

Roger that. Id try to find a 20" model for that role. On my Vepr, the FSB is pinned, but the gas block is dimpled. I wish they were both pinned.

is yours a 20" model? it really doesn't matter to me what barrel the gun comes with, because that will be replaced anyway

is yours a 20" model? it really doesn't matter to me what barrel the gun comes with, because that will be replaced anyway

No, mine is a 16". What all are you planning to swap out other than the rear trunnion and barrel?

No, mine is a 16". What all are you planning to swap out other than the rear trunnion and barrel?

is your rsb pinned or dimpled? i'd like to keep the vepr rear sight block, but i'll be swapping out the gas block, of coarse the gas tube and probably the front sight block, i've already determined that i need to buy the entire rpk74 front end assembly, so i'll choose the parts i use depending on what is more correct for the rpk74m, i hope to use as many vepr parts as possible

The RSB on mine is dimpled. I dont blame you for wanting to use as many Vepr parts as you can either. Its gunna be tits when its done though dude.

yea, i can't wait to start getting the parts together to do this, the dimpled rsb might be able to be drilled out for pins though, since the part where the dimples were will be covered by the handguard, you'll be the first to see pics when it's done

• Like 1

The RSB on mine is dimpled. I dont blame you for wanting to use as many Vepr parts as you can either. Its gunna be tits when its done though dude.

yea, i can't wait to start getting the parts together to do this, the dimpled rsb might be able to be drilled out for pins though, since the part where the dimples were will be covered by the handguard, you'll be the first to see pics when it's done

Badass. I'd re-use it as well, since it wont be seen.

...Serb still hypnotized by Captain Hero's avatar...

Thanks, guys. I'm keeping the front end as-is, but I appreciate the info if and/or when I decide to convert it. Of all the 5.45's that I have owned, this is the only one that ejects shells at 2 o'clock consistently. I have not had to pick up a single shell at my range table!

...back to staring at avatar...

• 2 weeks later...

You'll notice the biggest difference at longer ranges and higher rates of fire. For plinking at the bench there probably isn't a whole lot of noticeable difference without the 74 brake but that doesn't mean it's not highly effective when used as intended...controlled automatic fire at 300-400m.

I also notice a difference when shooting unsupported and on the move with the 74 brake, and I find it much easier to shoot quickly when I put a 74 brake on my AKSU compared to the standard cone booster. Shot groups are noticeably better at higher rates of fire too.

So for typical purposes that most of use our rifles the lack of a 74 brake probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but it does when you step off the bench and start shooting under dynamic conditions.

AKSU is a whole different animal with the 74 brake

AKSU_Stormwerkz_KonusMRD.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 3