Cutting Barrel Shroud..cut a bit too deep..

I was amazed too! Son of a bitch made in china cutter fucked a Russian barrel.

I guess it KIND of makes sense though. If you look at my image, you can see that the outside of the barrel has somewhat deformed outwards away from the cut.... Maybe the same forces make the ring on the inside.

Note that I literally screwed the pipe cutter on as hard as I could, and then twisted it with NO remorse.

wow right on lemmon thanks for sacrificing ur spare barrel for me..so now that u see wut i am talking about do u think later on down the road the barrel will be affected in any dangerous way..if alls i did was fuck up the accuracy a bit i can live with that it seems to shoot strait even after the dumb ass pipe cutter move..like i said, the other day when i went out shooting the accuracy seemed the same i just dont know wuts gonna happen 5000 rounds from now if anything at all...??i am wondering if the faint line will turn into a crack or if it will just polish away from bullets passing over it...? thanks a lot man i really appriciate it.

It was a cut off section from a barrel, not the whole thing. Long story beaten.gif

I think that it should be good to go, honestly. The only way that I can see this going wrong is if you go bump firing it until it damn near catches fire, because then it just MIGHT be hot enough to let the metal deform due to the reduced thickness? Not sure, I never studied the properties of metals and stuff.

I would just take a look at it every now and then when cleaning it. I usually check the bore with a light after shooting, just to see how much dirt is left. If you do this, you will be able to tell if the ring is degrading or just staying the same.

Its a good idea to inspect firearms after shooting them anyway.

ya i inspect it everytime i shoot and after when i clean..i wish i could understand what the metal is doing between the cut and the ring on the inside of the barrel..you know wut i mean? like if it is even possible for it to get worse...also if i shot 500 rounds through it with no notices in accuracy change its probobly gonna be ok..and if it was like 1/1000 of an inch difrence in hieghth (cant feel any difference with a toothpick) would shooting it wear that spot back down to normal? i wonder if i shortened the life span of the barrel.. i already have about 5000 rounds through it.

Unfortunately I think the only way to tell if its shortened the life of the barrell is to shoot it and find out. That's what I would do at least. And once a year or so I'd bench rest it and compare to the previous results to check for degradation.

Was thinking about using a pipe cutter on my shroud. This has put me off somewhat. :-( sorry to hear about this.

The pipe cutter is still probably the best route to take. Just use the knowledge in this thread to keep from going too far with it. Make sure you have sharp cutter blades. An extra set of blades would probably also be a good thing to have handy.

Listen for the "cracking" as mentioned. It is pretty noticeable. This would be the point to stop with the pipe cutter and tap/twist and maybe use a fine tooth hacksaw to finiish the job.

Just don't go at it with reckless abandon and take your time.

Was thinking about using a pipe cutter on my shroud. This has put me off somewhat. :-( sorry to hear about this.

Pipe cutters have been used thousands of times on saiga rifles with no problems. Its like saying, my brother in law crashed his car, now Im not sure If I want to drive cars anymore, maybe Illl get a motercycle.

Just go slow, pay attention and all will be fine.

• Like 1

Crazy the same answers we provided in chat over and over are here, aside from word being annoying of course.

Sorry I was a bit harsh man, but you were not giving very much detail and wouldn't provide pictures when I asked (in fact flat out refused), and when I asked if you could mic it also *shrugs*

I'm glad you got your answer and everything is ok. My suggestion next time, and I will go to bat for you in chat, which I have been doing is that you give more detail for one, and try to put pics up. Like I said before I am not professor Xavier and can't magic your thoughts. If you don't get the answer you want, please don't keep asking in chat, had you not started essentially spamming I don't think everyone would have been so trollish. Also fixating for 2-3 weeks and asking about whether dropping it will harm it over and over didn't get you off on the right start. If you don't like the answers provided, starting a thread such as this is more productive as you can tell.

So again my apologies for anyone that went after you and I'm glad everything is ok, come on back and I think we all want to put it behind us, I know I am, I think you are a good addition to the place :)

Man, do you live on the edge of the woods or something? How can you go shooting so often? I envy that.

Living in an urban setting, I have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to the closest range. And when I do have time to go shoot, the range is usually packed.

Either in an indoor range with no more than 20 yards range, or a public outdoor range where the same old people are ALWAYS present with their SAME deer rifles, taking one shot every 10 minutes, always glaring at my "heat seeking baby cop killing assault killer anti aircraft rifle".

Man, do you live on the edge of the woods or something? How can you go shooting so often? I envy that.

Living in an urban setting, I have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to the closest range. And when I do have time to go shoot, the range is usually packed.

Either in an indoor range with no more than 20 yards range, or a public outdoor range where the same old people are ALWAYS present with their SAME deer rifles, taking one shot every 10 minutes, always glaring at my "heat seeking baby cop killing assault killer anti aircraft rifle".

I hear ya, I shoot at my sportsmans club, like 10min from my house. The other guys are shooting muzzle loaders and bolt actions, and theres me with my "wacko, shoot up movie theaters" ak. I get some looks too015.gif . Ooh I wish I still lived in the woods.

Possibly your personal attacks on a well-established, contributing member?

im sorry but that guy in that video is a fucking moron..

well said beer.gif

yo dude wuts with the ass pic..not that i dont admire but correct me if im wrong i doubt ur gettin laid much.. n e body else feel the same way..

WOW dude gives you a toast and you bash him. Go get drunk and play in the freeway you fuckin' loser..

WOW wut are u his fucking boyfriend..

• Like 2