That is good. The guy is ignorant and probably doesn't have any skills when it comes to working on things or maybe just can't afford to send it out. Maybe someone with a Saiga 12 that runs well will smear his ass at 3G.

I am NOT a well seasoned 3G competitor. I competed in the Open division with a guy that has done it far more than I have and beat him on a shotgun only stage by 22 seconds. My time was 18 seconds and his was 40. He was running a tube fed auto. Saiga 12 wasn't looking very "dumb" that day ;)

• Like 6

Looked over the article when it came out, though I'm no Costa fanboy. The article harped about quick reloads, ammo changes (slug to buck, or vice versa) and the Costa style ninja warlord training. I had to laugh since every point the writer tried to make about how badass what he was learning about using a shotty could be done faster and easier with a S12 - and without paying Chris Costa God knows how much money.

Need to switch between buck and slugs? Change mags. you can change mags a hell of lot quicker than tubes. Need to reload quick? Change mags. No need to fumble with loose rounds or with those "quick" reload tube devices. I don't give a damn what Chris Costa taught him about using a Remington 870.

ANYONE familiar with their S12 can do the drills faster with a S12.

Seems like he got duped twice. Once by not learning how to work his S12, and twice by allowing some mythic shooting guru to convince him that using an inferior weapon was the way to go...

Edited by Jpanzer

Switching between buck and slug back and forth for >2 rounds is faster with a tube gun, but not by a lot. This came up a while ago and I did some comparisons of methods on a rough video. I can put that back up if people want it. Obviously magwells made the drill much faster.

The main thing that occurred to me is why would you only want to switch for a couple of rounds? The only reason I could think of was to satisfy an arbitrary contest rule that you had to switch after each shot.

If in real life I had multiple assailants close and farther than 100 feet, I'd unload my buck on the close ones, switch to a mag of slugs and leave the slugs in for any remaining close attackers. If someone is attacking me at a range where my weapon's accuracy is marginal, I sure want more than just one chance to stop him without topping off each shot or two. Of course this is all mostly a thought experiment Realistically if someone is more than a hundred feet away they aren't likely to be an imminent enough threat to justify self defense. If they are using a rifle to shoot at you, you probably aren't alive enough to defend yourself. If they are shooting with a pistol at that range, running for cover is smarter.

I wouldn't work the action either. May as well burn off the buck round towards the assailant or the ground rather than spend the time to eject it.

• Like 1

Just got back from the range. My son complained because I blew all his orange dots off the steel plate with 5 shots of 00 buck in my S12 (at 25 yards) before he could get off his 2nd shot with a 22 he was sighting in. Yes, I'm mean, but hey it was my kid I was harassing.

S12s are evil, slow to change from slugs to buck, and very unreliable. Besides that, I'm pretty sure they're made in a foreign country that doesn't build Ferraris. That's obscene, IMHO. Still, I think I'll keep mine.

Edited by TacticoolTim