I've seen targets that fall after one hit but does any one make a target that falls after a random number of hits say 1-7 hits?

Real world people don't always go down after just one hit. I've seen targets systems that are mounted on robots with "kill zones" that activate a kill switch that stops them but nothing that provides realistic shooting where a undetermined number of direct hits will drop the targets forcing the student to keep shooting till the target goes down. The idea is to get students used to not just double taping but rather being aggressive, aware and actually shooting down the target.

Does any one know of a system like that?

• Like 2

Cool concept. Maybe one way you could achieve this is by the same sort of rules applying to the human body. Trauma and blood loss. Maybe have a target that sits on an electronic scale, When the overall weight is diminished by a set amount, the target falls. Targets would be actually foam or gel fillled "ugly bags of mostly water" (to quote Star Trek...lol). Hits in the key vital areas where more gel/water is stored, will make the target "bleed out" or lose more mass faster.

Just an idea....

secret_smile.gif

Take a green trash bag. Poke a small hole in the bottom center, about the size of your fist. String some light rope through the hole and tie on three or four inflated balloons. Hang the bag from a cross post and start shooting. When you deflate the final balloon the bag will fall to the ground. This can be done with old shirts or sweaters as well.

It would have to be electronic in order to be random. The target would have to have a sensor in order to detect the hits and it would need some sort of controller to know when to drop the target. I don't believe it would be too complicated to make... but you'll need to have (or know someone with) good knowledge of building electronics from scratch. Using an Arduino micro controller is your best bet... start here: http://www.arduino.cc/

I have used balloons in the past and tannerite for longer ranges will work

For pistol range stuff, there are small binary exploding targets that are .22 sensitive that I have bought locally and are available online. If you use a cardboard cutout and tape the targets to the back in the vital areas, you will definitely know when you hit the good spots.

Personally, I think moving targets are a great idea, but I am too poor to afford any of the automated ones. Best I can do for my budget is a pendelum type metal target hanging on a rope or chain. That is a lot of fun.

If you are looking for good, versatile, easily programmable microcontrollers and such, check out sparkfun. com. It is amazing how cheap very good USB programmable circuit boards are, including many with remote control capability. Think $20 for all components needed.

Some friends and I used a few for a project a while ago. They have everything you could want ready made, reliable, modular and super cheap.

By all components, I was referring to control circuitry, not servos or solenoids, power supply, etc.

We made 8 mode air powered remote triggered mystery devices that used $14 worth of electronics, a $6 waterproof enclosure and about $26 for each air solenoid. Air rams to reset something like an ISPCA silhouette should be around $30 each.

Low tech and low budget solutions are also an option. Something as simple as old bowling pins on a table would suit your need. Sometimes they fall right off. Sometimes they need multiple hits to get them off the platform. Even a half full milk jug could fit the bill. Hit it above the water line and the bullet zips through leaving teh target in place. But hit it below the waterline and it explodes. Not the same reation every time depending on fill level. Swinging targets on a string. Some fall, same swing back a coulple of times until the string breaks. Mix it up, put a half full plastic jug or a bowling pin on a string..... Some just on a platform. Some fall, some spin, some swing, some just sit there and wait for the next hit.

Edited by Groovy Mike

The idea is to make a target that is as real as possible. I thought about a steel plate with accelerometers mounted to it to register hits with a solenoid that releases to allow the target to fall. Possibly a ball joint so the target can fall back, spin, fall forward etc.. to add to unpredictably. I have the mechanical part figured out but the electronics is what has me stumped.

• Like 1

been playing with the idea of a brake that will only allow the target to move a little at a time until it tips over. Also looking at a racket with a cam. Each hit would rock the target moving the ratchet,turning the cam till the cam depresses a latch allowing the target to fall.