Adjusting stock sights

Hello all i'm new here and i'm having a hell of a time adjusting the stock rear sight for my saiga-12.

It shoots almost 2 feet right at 25 yards. I tried beating the hell out of it with a hammer and punch,

but to no avail, it wouldn"t move a hair. Is there some trick im missing or do i need to switch them

out to mojo sights or something?

Little bit of oil, let it sit, put it in something that holds it firmly, use a punch with more surface area, hit harder?

Adjusting mine was fairly simple even without oil or a vice. Just flopped it on the carpet and gave it a few whacks and checked with the bore sighter in between.

so i tried soaking it with wd40 for a night then clp for a night, got a sizeable punch and hammered it. wont move in either direction, just mars the crap out if the side of the sight. i dont see a bolt holding it in place when i remove the piston and check underneath, so im basically at a loss here...

I tried to remove mine with a punch to install a rail over the gas tube... after beating the CRAP out of it, without it moving what so ever, I ended up using a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a groove across the middle and knock it out!

May help to use cold. It is dovetailed in, but the press fit can be tight. Try holding ice on just the sight for a while. If that doesn't work, try stocking the whole think in the freezer for 20 minutes. Then work quick to hammer the sight again. This has worked for me on several "stuck" pieces of equipment.

They called me a pussy and told me to get a bigger hammer and wider punch when I had the same issue and it worked.lol. Well, maybe not a pussy. I used a 16oz. hammer and punch as wide as the base and hit it like I ment it and it moved. Now I can drift it with firm blows. Just took one nasty one to break it free.

Edited by rnemhrd

intresting thought, i was think an ak sight tool might work with pressure from a screw bolt, but seeing as i dont have one freezer it is. thanks for the input guys.

They called me a pussy and told me to get a bigger hammer and wider punch when I had the same issue and it worked.lol. Well, maybe not a pussy. I used a 16oz. hammer and punch as wide as the base and hit it like I ment it and it moved. Now I can drift it with firm blows. Just took one nasty one to break it free.

Yea i feel like a big puss, normally im trying to fix something and it shatters in my hands this if the first time i've been trying to pummel something with no avail!

intresting thought, i was think an ak sight tool might work with pressure from a screw bolt, but seeing as i dont have one freezer it is. thanks for the input guys.

Yea i feel like a big puss, normally im trying to fix something and it shatters in my hands this if the first time i've been trying to pummel something with no avail!

Ahh, you use the HULK SMASH method too. I was using the tap tap tap untill they said smack it on here.

what they used to say in the military about old m2 .50 cals was you gotta treat 'em like an old tijuana hooker. Can't be gentle, gotta slap'er around hard to get her to do what you want. looks like this saiga is in that category, old russian hooker?

• Like 1

Don't mess with Russian hookers. They just MIGHT be manlier than you and me combined.

My S12 came out of the box with a wrongly located rear sight leaf. The notch on it lined up with the notch on the leaf holder, but a quality laser bore slighter and several trips to the ranges proved that the mark was incorrect.

I marred my finish a tiny bit too when moving the sight, but I really smacked it hard. I'm used to smacking these things hard, because this is how I remove the gas blocks and front sight blocks off of Saiga rifles when I convert them (after drilling out the dimples of course). When I remove the GBs/FSBs, they almost collapse in on themselves.

It took quiet a few powerful blows. Also I used the widest steel punch that I have, and used the heaviest hammer that I have. Make sure to take a couple shots of vodka to steady your hands before you do this.

P.S., try using Kroil. It works and smells better than wd40 ;).

Make sure to take a couple shots of vodka to steady your hands before you do this.

halarious, I think this is what caused Ivan to mess up my gas ports and rear sight to begin with lol.

Actually my wife solved the issue, I realized I didn't have access to a deep freezer and she suggested

heat instead. so she held her blow dryer on high and i hammered, and voila! I knew i kept her

around for something...

Edited by gman762