How do I take care of a wooden stock?

I'd recommend a product called "Old West Snake Oil". I purchased a bottle of the oil a few years back to use on my Enfield rifle and M1 Garand, and started using it on all my firearms that have wood stocks (to include my revolvers with wood grips). I still have half the bottle left; lasts a very long time.

The following is what is written on the back of the bottle:

"Old West Snake Oil is a unique blend of natural oils and waxes specially forumated for antique firearms. Snake Oil contains NO lemon oil, shellac, acrylics, water, detergents, silicon or other damaging chemicals found in many similar products available today. (Shake Well Before Using.) Directions: Apply as needed with a clean soft cloth. Spread evenly over entire firearm. Dried or porous wood may require several applications."

I keep a semi-saturated thick cloth in a zip-lock baggie. Any time I feel the wood of my firearms could use another application of this Snake Oil, I simply remove the cloth from the baggie and wipe-down the wood, then replace the cloth back into the baggie.

Seal it with Spar varnish. It's specifically made to protect wood from water, and is very tough to scratch. I clean my guns in the sink (damn corrosive), and don't bother to take any of the wood off before hand. It's gone through several washes, and has held up perfectly. Literally water-proof. Looks pretty bloody good, too.