Has anyone experienced failure of the Drive Block on their MKA other than myself ? This is an early serial no. MKA which I purchased about a year ago and only run 1500+ fps slugs through it.

First failure was noticed during cleaning after a range day of 100 - 150 Winchester Rack Master 2 3/4" Slugs which appeared as a small "blowout hole" and hairline crack on the underside of the Drive Block along what appears to be either a weld seam or forging seam. At that time, I had run about 400 to 500 rounds through the gun over three months without any signs of failure.

I contacted Clyde at RAAC and he sent me out a replacement Drive Block within a week. All was good and well for a couple months of 50 round range days until a few weeks ago where I ran 150 - 200 Brenneke Special Forces 2 3/4" Short Magnum and Brenneke Black Magic Short Magnum slugs through the gun in two hours.

When I got home and cleaned the gun, I noticed another small "blowout hole" right in the middle of that (forging / weld) seam again. But this time it hadn't gotten to the point of cracking down the spine of the seam yet.

After the first Drive Block failure, I became very suspicious of the Gas Piston Locking Nut coming loose and allowing the Bolt Carrier to "slap" around so I installed a small Spring Hose Clamp to prevent the nut from backing off. An this has kept that nut snug against the gas bushing, so I was surprised to see the part fail again.

In my last correspondence with RAAC, I asked if this was an isolated failure on my gun, or it was happening to others. Clyde has yet to answer that question... So, have any others experienced this type of metal fatigue failure ?

post-42092-0-94671000-1350183296_thumb.jpg

post-42092-0-75858500-1350183307_thumb.jpg

I mainly shoot slugs only shot like maybe 100 rds of buck, and 300 of bird. easily 700 slugs lol

I shoot at fruits, vegies, water bottles, you know reduce, reuse, recycle biggrin.png

HAHA! Love it! I too shoot a lot of slugs. I will keep an eye on mine. Thanks for heads up.

That is a casting flaw, it has been present in a few drive collars we have seen.

I would watch the part and make sure it does not propagate

Jim

I just got off the phone with RAAC and a replacement should be going out today. beer.gif

Edited by gose

you mean like this?

Have maybe 1000 rounds through mine, mostly Federal bulk packs and 1200fps AAs

broken_akdal_part.jpg

Yep, exactly like that... That's what the first one looked like before it was replaced. The photo I posted is of the second failed part a few months later...

Man that's A LOT of slugs , 015.gif

I have about the same # of rounds through mine , only about 75-100 slugs though , I'll double check mine , haven't noticed it yet if it's starting.

Just intrested , what do you shoot that many slugs at?

I shoot slugs at things that look like they need BIG HOLES in them ! anger.gif

That is a casting flaw, it has been present in a few drive collars we have seen.

Jim

Jim, just purchased your forearm and charge handle from CenterFire, says the charge handle is on back order, any idea when you'll ship ?

Mine had cracked, so I emailed RAAC a few pics. I had a new drive block from Turkey in about a week. Great customer service right there. The new one looks beefier than what I took out. Time will tell. But seriously, everyone should carefully inspect it at every cleaning. If you've never paid any attention, you better check it out.

• 1 month later...

I'm on my third one in under 6 months, I shoot about 200 rds a week on average of wally world federal value pack and maybe 15 rounds of remington sluggers though it afterwards. Yes the customer service at RAAC is top notch, I've had all mine replaced under warranty but that doesn't last forever. I'm hoping someone will be coming out with a tougher aftermarket piece soon because I love this shotgun and I'm not looking forward to buying these after the warranty runs out. If I have to I'll take one out to the local machine shop and have them mill me one out but I'd rather avoid the cost if some one is getting ready to mass produce them.

Edited by eod1

I'm on my third one in under 6 months, I shoot about 200 rds a week on average of wally world federal value pack and maybe 15 rounds of remington sluggers though it afterwards. Yes the customer service at RAAC is top notch, I've had all mine replaced under warranty but that doesn't last forever. I'm hoping someone will be coming out with a tougher aftermarket piece soon because I love this shotgun and I'm not looking forward to buying these after the warranty runs out. If I have to I'll take one out to the local machine shop and have them mill me one out but I'd rather avoid the cost if some one is getting ready to mass produce them.

I second the motion that we need an aftermarket drive block. I would rather just go ahead and replace the factory drive block now than wait for the inevitable failure.

• 4 months later...

Well I now have one with the same crack. I have one of the early guns and had the same issue after a couple hundred rounds and clyde sent me a new one. I just cleaned mine and put in a new Firebird spring and found it. I have pics but they all look alike.

Reading this thread due to Jaspers posting, I saw this -

Jim

These things can have babies? Holy smokes! Do they come out the mag well or the ejection port? haha.gif

Yip, we have them available, 1 year no ?'s asked guarantee.

We have BOTH, XN , and the earlier non XN available.

I NEED to figure out a good name for the earlier versions , ? ? ? ? .

XN model, sounds nice , non-XN , NOT so nice. Maybe it's just me.

Any suggestions ?

Keep it simple......Fits MKA 1919......Fits XN Only

JMHO

This one I like (it makes the most sense).

I'd agree , except, I've had A LOT of calls , people think the XN is a COMPLETELY different gun , and want to know , Who makes it? What does it look like ?

Hoping to keep the confusion to a minimum.

Just do it this way.

MKA 1919

XN MKA 1919

If I didn't know any better and came across these two choices for the first time, I'd understand there was a difference and that one was made by XN and one wasn't. Beyond this, I suppose you could add a "How to Tell Which 1919 You Have" page to your site, with a close-up picture of each and a brief description. Every time you sold a part for both versions of the shotgun, you could post a link "right there" (next to the part) pointing to your "1919 differences" page. You might want to do short a video, too, and have it on your new page as well.

Edited by Hunter308