Best Folding Stock Mechanism ?

One question you'll need to answer is whether or not you want to cut your tang. There are mechanisms that will work either way. If it matters how far the folding part is from the back of the receiver this would figure in as not cutting the tang sets it back some. One one of my S-12s I didn't cut the tang and used a Bonesteel folder. On the other I am cutting the tang and adding an internal receiver block. I'm having the barrel cut and a brake permanently attached so I want this one to be as compact as possible when folded.

A lot of personal preference in this.

if your definition of best, includes only "most Solid". Then I guarantee ours is the hands down winner, it does have the one drawback of being .5" loger when folded, but other than that I find it superior in evey way to other offerings. Anyone who owns one can testify to the fact that they are indeed the most solid locking mechanism on the market. I also stand behind that statement with a money back guarantee if you do not find it to be the most solid locking.

One question you'll need to answer is whether or not you want to cut your tang. There are mechanisms that will work either way. If it matters how far the folding part is from the back of the receiver this would figure in as not cutting the tang sets it back some. One one of my S-12s I didn't cut the tang and used a Bonesteel folder. On the other I am cutting the tang and adding an internal receiver block. I'm having the barrel cut and a brake permanently attached so I want this one to be as compact as possible when folded.

A lot of personal preference in this.

Thank you for your quick response. I've gone back and fourth about going with the BoneSteel system, ultimately, I think I am going to cut the tang and use an internal receiver block because I want a shorter LOP. I know there are a few different companies making the folding mechanism for the internal block, I was just wondering if one company made a better product than another. Thanks again.

Edited by BlackBird97

On the ACE style bolt pattern, the only one I have had good success with on a shotgun is the CSS push button locking folder. The regular spring loaded ACE has a tendency to unlock under recoil from heavy buck and slug loads. I've experienced that with two of those hinges on two different shotguns. It was merely enough to be annoying on the S-12, but it was really severe on my Winchester Defender pump gun. That style is fine on a rifle, however.

The AK-100 is the best for that Squishy, though not near as easy to install as the Ace. Unless you modify the ace by polishing the knuckle, you shouldn't have to worry about that issue. I have one that I modified to make it easier to open, but normally don't see that with regular unmodded hinges.

The standard Ace mechanism made by Ace. It's as solid as they get. The push button folders are the only ones I've ever seen with any wiggle to them, and I've used many original Ace folders.

The CSS folder usually does have just a hair of wiggle that can't quite be adjusted out. But at least it doesn't try to fold while I am firing the shotgun, as I have experienced with two different standard ACE mechanisms on two different shotguns.

Edit to add: No mods to the hinges.

Edited by Netpackrat

I'm gonna weigh in on this one just cause I've been using the standard ACE folder for almost five years and have had absolutely NONE of the issues I've heard others complain of. Its rock solid and has zero wiggle. It has NEVER shifted under ANY of the considerable magnum buck and slug loads I have put through it. It does not lock folded but I find this preferrable for fast deployment. It is tight enough when folded that it will not "fall open". BTW, the ACE folding mech has a threaded hole in the side to accept sling swivels.

On another note, I used an external block for a few years before upgrading to an internal. When I was a noob, I was hesitant to make permanant alterations to my firearms and the look did not bother me at all. After being a member here for several years and seeing quite a few S12s, I finally got to where the look of the external block bothered me quite a bit. I had to change it. I then ran an internal block for several years before finally having my brother at Sierra Ordnance Company "harden up" my S12 by adding a weld-on ACE backplate, welding on the front sight tower, filling and blending the receiver holes, and permanantly attaching the flash hider at 18.25".

I'm happy with my ACE, but if money was no option I'd vote for the AK100 folder.

I'm gonna weigh in on this one just cause I've been using the standard ACE folder for almost five years and have had absolutely NONE of the issues I've heard others complain of. Its rock solid and has zero wiggle. It has NEVER shifted under ANY of the considerable magnum buck and slug loads I have put through it.

It's too bad we're almost clear across the continent from each other. It might be interesting to get together sometime and start swapping shotguns, loads or maybe even parts to try and figure out exactly why I have trouble with the standard Ace hinge and you do not. I'm not doubting your experience at all; it's just a lot different from mine.

I'm gonna weigh in on this one just cause I've been using the standard ACE folder for almost five years and have had absolutely NONE of the issues I've heard others complain of. Its rock solid and has zero wiggle. It has NEVER shifted under ANY of the considerable magnum buck and slug loads I have put through it.

It's too bad we're almost clear across the continent from each other. It might be interesting to get together sometime and start swapping shotguns, loads or maybe even parts to try and figure out exactly why I have trouble with the standard Ace hinge and you do not. I'm not doubting your experience at all; it's just a lot different from mine.

Which way do you have it folding? While it is considered to be reversible, the recoil can cause it to unlock when setup to fold to the left

Pedal2alloy; I do have it set up to fold to the right. I find this greatly preferrable on this weapon with this stock. It does eject empties properly when fired folded, but only just barely and only with the stock mounted in the lowest possible position. I never fire it folded anyway, but I know that matters to some people.

Netpackrat; I do not doubt your experience either as I have heard a few people mention these issues before. If you're interested in experimenting you could try reversing the folder mechanism and see if that makes a difference.

That's probably the reason then. I have all of my folding stocks set up to fold to the left, not only to keep the ejection clear, but to make it easier to operate the bolt and the safety with the stock folded. I don't operate them that way either, but I want to retain the ability to do so. Thanks for the info.

Got my box-o-goodies from CSS today, ordered on the 17th. I haven't installed the folding mechanism yet but it seems very well made. One thing, I was wrong about no provision for an attachment point. This part has a thread hole which I assume the Ace 10/32x1/2 Sling Swivel screws into.