Hi guys,

I went pheasant hunting a few weeks ago and begged two pheasants with my Saiga 12. It was a learn to hunt event at MacKenzie Environmental Education Center here in Poynette, WI.

To learn more about learn to hunt events (most are free if not only $15) go to your local Department of Natural Resources website and search for "Learn to hunt". I would have given URL of Wisconsin, but I'm not sure if thats okay here so inbox me if you have any questions.

The only thing I did to my Saiga was to paint the front sight red with some nail polish.

I had fun and loved it, the S12 did an amazing job!

327401_10151438265463136_1157246993_o.jpg

HuntingtripforPheasants.jpg

HuntingtripforPheasants2.jpg

Please get out and go hunting with a friend or two even more fun if its a kid!

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 3

Congrats on getting out and enjoying a good hunt. Look like you ad fun. That grin says a lot!

Personally, I prefer a tube gun for bird hunting. I have tried a S12 in the field but a magfed gun is pretty awkward.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

sunnybean I know what you mean, it is odd when you get ready to shoot. I had to practice a lot to get used to it.

jeremiahisnaked There is no need for a plug in Wisconsin, but I will be using a ratchet bolt that will go into the gun for Duck hunting next weekend.

It will look something like this:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=24483

Edited by Amani74

For me it wasn't when getting ready to shoot. It was the goofiness dinking around with mag changes. I just needed to shove one or two rounds in, which is simple with a tube. With a mag gun you're messing around with taking one mag out and fumbling around for the next one. Birds are getting up and up are unable to get more than one round off because you're in between mag changes. Then, you need to sling the gun over your shoulder so you can have both hands free to load a mag. Meanwhile the old guys with double barrels are shooting all the birds that are getting up around you making that "urban assault shotgun", as they called it, look pretty fucking stupid.

ETA, not dissing on you. Glad you're getting out and enjoying the great sport of bird hunting. Looks like the S12 is working for you.

Edited by sunnybean

Sunnybean no offense bro but it sounds like you may need to work on quick mag changes some. If I hunt doves or geese with my S-12, I keep several 2rd mags at the ready, and only reload mags during downtime. A quick tactical mag change and you never miss a beat. Three rounds total in the gun, per federal law, shoot twice, leave the third round cocked and locked, while swapping for another loaded mag. The just pull the trigger to resume....and repeat... If yours has trouble loading on a closed bolt, we should talk. I can fix that.

Nice shooting Armani74! Good to see folks out there showing the S-12 can actually be used for hunting also. Let me know if you would like to try one of my galvanized steel mag inserts. It's just like a Russian mag limiter, and will allow you to simply use your factory 5rd mag to hunt migratory birds, by limiting capacity to just two rounds. (and one in the chamber)

• Like 1

Cobra,

No offense taken. I could certainly use some improvement in the mag change area. I can load on a closed bolt. I just don't feel that it is any easier or quicker than stuffing 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 in a tube. For higher than that, certainly a mag change wins. I am spoiled and hunt in the best pheasant grounds this country has to offer, south central South Dakota. Other than driving to the next field, there isn't much downtime for reloading mags. I have litterally shot a box of shells in one drive. The last two seasons we have finished our hunting (20 guns/60 birds) in two drives! Its pretty ridiculous. I just find it better, easier and simplier to feed a tube in this kind of hunting. YMMV.

While I don't hunt I think using Saigas for this purpose is a good thing and should be encouraged. In addition to the other positives, this way if and when the Brady Bunch opens their pie-holes and says "No sporting purpose...." they can be shut down right there. Of course fact, logic and reason often don't figure in but at least the point will be there to be made.

I was sitting in the barber shop the other day waiting for a chair and I picked up a hunting mag I can't remember the name of and read an article about the wild hog problem in some areas. I don't remember the details but I did come away with the impression that some of these swine have to die...I do likes me some barbeque.

I took my first deer with an AKM....

While by no means the best deer hunting option where rifles are allowed, a S12 certainly would do the job.

Holy smokes 7.62m43 those are some big racked bucks compared to what I chase in my neigborhood. Any one of them would be a wall hanger for me!

Edited by Groovy Mike

While I don't hunt I think using Saigas for this purpose is a good thing and should be encouraged. In addition to the other positives, this way if and when the Brady Bunch opens their pie-holes and says "No sporting purpose...." they can be shut down right there. Of course fact, logic and reason often don't figure in but at least the point will be there to be made.

I was sitting in the barber shop the other day waiting for a chair and I picked up a hunting mag I can't remember the name of and read an article about the wild hog problem in some areas. I don't remember the details but I did come away with the impression that some of these swine have to die...I do likes me some barbeque.

Squishy Please don't take this the wrong way, I understand what you are saying and I am sure we would likely agree 100 percent, but for the sake of someone who might stumble onto this post and not have a clear understanding of their rights. The second amendment of the constitution has absolutely absolutely ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! to do with sporting and for any branch of the government be it Federal State or local to infringe on a law abiding citizens right to keep arms based on what they think we need for "sporting" activities is a criminal act.

• Like 4

... The second amendment of the constitution has absolutely absolutely ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! to do with sporting and for any branch of the government be it Federal State or local to infringe on a law abiding citizens right to keep arms based on what they think we need for "sporting" activities is a criminal act.

Amen, brotha; Preach on! You better testify. He's got the spurrrit, ladies and gentlemen!!!

I may have gotten a little carried away... I agree with you. Well stated, sir.

I understand the purely bottom line "facts" of this matter and you are 100% correct. But I also know that in the strategies of rhetoric which sway public opinion and those with votes who don't know and may never know the fine points, things that shouldn't be issues often are. It would be a truly fine state of affairs if judges only interpreted and applied the constitution and existing laws rather than seeing these things as "living" documents to be taken as they wish.

"Sporting purpose" should be moot and irrelevant in the gun control debate for the reason mentioned. But when Schumer, Feinstein or McCarthy stand at a press conference holding up a weapon and spew their distortions....fact, logic, reason, the law, the fine points of The Constitution are all absent. And if it were just a matter of John Q. Public simply being ignorant about something and nothing more it would be no big deal. But when that ignorance influences what buttons are pushed in the voting booth, it matters very much.

My point is about taking ammo away from the enemy, one less argument or talking point to get traction with. "Our" side will never get the chance to explain why it's wrong and doesn't matter. You could write 10,000 articles on this very subject but in the so called information age if it doesn't fit into a Twitter tweet many will never see it or take the time to read it.

As one who does not hunt and does not shoot competitively I have never felt compelled to do one of these things only to make my gun ownership "legitimate". All I have is the inalienable right to defend myself which I think is why wise men long ago chose to adopt the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution to ensure that right will never be infringed.

ADD: Another thought about this is that one tactic some Banners have used and are using in recent times is acknowledging the right to keep and bear arms. They take that argument off the table entirely. They say, "Hey we're cool with it, the 2nd Amendment does say this right cannot be infringed." And then they go to work trying to define which guns can be owned by civilians. In their minds if you and I have muzzle loaders the 2nd Amendment is being satisfied. Here's a good example, any idea where this is from?

"We recognize that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms."

Sounds good doesn't it?

What do you think is one of their leading arguments in the debate to determine which firearms the law should allow? In any debate about an Assault Weapons Ban where can they get traction?

And to Amani74, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Edited by Squishy

Squishy - No need to apologize to me. I understand where your coming from and agree with you and defequisimo, I do hope that one day you will go hunting, especially for an invasive species like Hogs.

7.62m43 - I want to say GOOD JOB man! You are one lucky man. I can't even get one deer!

Groovy Mike - Good look after them Turkeys. I went Turkey hunting, but came up short. Take photos for me!

• Like 1