Welcome. The fancy new models do make a lot of add on parts obsolete for a build from scratch.

A basic conversion on your saiga is still very worthwhile.

I agree with GunFun. The Veprs are very nice, but I still wouldn't trade converting and making the S12 my own. Apart from learning everything about the function of your S12, and making it exactly what you like, you will miss the enjoyment and pride of doing the work yourself. Looks like you should buy one of each, or if you have your heart set on the Vepr, I will offer more than Tim for it to end up in my garbage can :)

Um, if I were doing it over, and wanted a top rail, I would start with a VEPR. I always wanted pretty much every feature on them except the extra weight. Now that magzines can be had for reasonable prices the reason to buy a saiga would be for a minimalist build that is at least $200 cheaper than a VEPR. That or you just have to have a drum magazine.

I really think magwells are the way to go, and think having to change gas settings is a chance to make an expensive or mistake. I'd want an auto plug on any saiga I bought eventually, and magwells if I could afford it. Just those two parts can close the gap by $150.

Welcome. If you're the least bit like me (which may or may not be a good thing) one won't be enough. Saiga #2 isn't even finished and I'm already thinking about #3....or Vepr #1....and then there's slug casting...and reloading....and....are those rifled barrels available yet?...where's my lithium....

• 8 months later...

Welcome!

As I stated in another thread:

I wonder if the two were placed side by side, if anyone would still choose the Saiga 12 over the Vepr 12. We know that the S-12 is initially a less expensive "buy-in", and generally basic "improvements" are made. But given that, would people still want the S-12? It would be interesting to see a side by side list of pros and cons.

(I have an S-12, reliability done, some mods and polished.)

Congrats on your S-12

S12 is a tad lighter, and gas regulator design allows for a little less recoil. If you want a minimalist build, S12 still stays ahead. I think the magwell mags are a huge improvement, but some people really want drums and obsolete rock and locks.

S12 is a tad lighter, and gas regulator design allows for a little less recoil. If you want a minimalist build, S12 still stays ahead. I think the magwell mags are a huge improvement, but some people really want drums and obsolete rock and locks.

Is the add on magwell for the S-12 as reliable as the factory install on the Vepr?