Newbie from MI!

well it cycles alot better when i compress the stock into my shoulder as hard as i can. vs just throwning it up and firing. even with the gas setting on its highest setting just holding the rifle it failed to eject high brass slugs/00 buck and of course low brass 8 shot. but when i compressed the stock all the way into my shoulder 20 rounds of number 8 shot no probs at all on gas setting 5. and slugs and 00 buck with stock compressed all the way on setting 1 were cycling just fine. that is what leads me to think it is the stock and not the little dust cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard. I am getting down to the final details on my S12 for 3G, but my pistol is the Glock 19 that I carry daily. I feel your pain.

tehehehe its DONE!   all the guts out All finished   Had to do final fitting to the MD arms drum but was easy with a file and it locks in nice and tight.     Looking threw the opti

ran great in its first 3 gun. would have been better if the first stage i had rememberd to turn the gas back up from 2 to 6 oops haha. had a few fail to ejects but ran pretty good the whole day.

Posted Images

Well found a cheap AK-47 stock and hand guard matching set for 25 bucks. going to give it a run on the S-12 see how i like it.

tryed calling mako with no answer i looked up Fab defense number they are in israel and not going to make an international call haha.

i know i need to carve out the hand guard to make it fit around the S-12 barrel. but what do i need to clamp it on?

Well the stock with a little dremeling and a few slams into the floor fit right on and nice and tight.

DSCN0756_zpse30f82aa.jpg

DSCN0758_zps6b19717e.jpg

DSCN0764_zpsfdf36a59.jpg

Only down side is it is pretty short had to move my scope all the way forward. and the hand guards are going to take ALOT of dremeling also dont know how im going to keep them on or if im even going to put the top hand guard on.

Right. And rather than use a dremel, put an angle grinder in a clamp with a normal abrasive disk. then move the handguard back and forth. It will be easier to control how much material you remove and keep it even.

Here is a tutorial I did on fitting wood furniture. Guide Comfortable Wood Goodness with a modern touch. - Tech Section - forum.Saiga-12.com

The KVAR retainer will work too.

Thanks for the link!!

is their anyway to put the top hand guard on as well? i saw on dinzagarm he had a whole thing for the gas system rear sight and front sight but i have a scope on mine so not being able to see the iron sights wont hurt me at all.

if not ill just put the bottom one on.

if i had an air compressor i would use my angle grinder but i do not have one! need to get than and a vice!

Dinzag parts are the best way to do that. By the time you put in the cash though, you may as well have just got a V12 or OxO model with that.

Honestly, I haven't missed them. I have never burned myself or even been bothered by my gas tube. If you are really worried, maybe get one of those perforated heat shields for the gas tube that cobra 762 makes, for looks. I have thought about getting one of them just as a place to mount a tape switch.

Look at my two builds in my gallery page and that will give you an idea whether you think it really needs the upper hand guard. The other thing is that the upper guard will force you to raise your sights a little.

Dinzag parts are the best way to do that. By the time you put in the cash though, you may as well have just got a V12 or OxO model with that.

Honestly, I haven't missed them. I have never burned myself or even been bothered by my gas tube. If you are really worried, maybe get one of those perforated heat shields for the gas tube that cobra 762 makes, for looks. I have thought about getting one of them just as a place to mount a tape switch.

Look at my two builds in my gallery page and that will give you an idea whether you think it really needs the upper hand guard. The other thing is that the upper guard will force you to raise your sights a little.

Thanks again for all the good info! yeah i may just leave it with the bottom hand guard. ill take a look at the cobra heat shields as well but will prob just leave it with the bottom wood hand guard.

As for the upper guard forcing me to raise my sights i have a scope on mine that sits WAY above the iron sights so that would not be an issue.

DSCN0758_zps6b19717e.jpg

You can see in that picture pretty good how high above the irons the scope mount alone is the rail is above the irons and the scope is another few inchs above that. so i am not worryed about the hand guard blocking the scope by any means. i cannot see iron sights under the scope mount anyways.

Have you looked at the KVAR "RPK" style front handguard and retainer? That might meet your needs to match plastic stocks and is much less work. Your gun won't look unique, but it will look good.

i was thinking of the KVAR lower hand guard before this wood one. think that Retainer would work for the wood hand guard???

i got a wood carving bit that goes in a drill will make short work of making the hand guard bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Since i moved the scope forward one on the mount i took it out and sighted it and well it shoots a quarter at 25 yards with 2 3/4" slugs icon_smile.gif

Holding center my buddy shot 5 shots yes 5 slugs are at the top right in the 5 and 6 ring.

me using just kentucky windage i held low left and had 3 touching in the middle with 2 more out to the 8 ring.

not bad for a 19"Smooth barrel with a 5.8 muzzle brake eh?

i left it shooting high because at 3 gun someimtes we shoot 50 yard slugs so it should still be dead on.

had my gas setting all the way down on number 1 and was only throwing shells 3 feet from the gun but cycled just fine an OH MY what sound it made with all the gas going out the muzzle brake! worth every penny of the 150 dollars it cost!

2013-07-0520-13-02804_zps3f0ade05.jpg

ill take it smile.png

Edited by shifty_85
  • 2 months later...

well rather than starting another thread ill post it up here! ran 3 gun with the saiga again!

This stage it ran flawless for me. love being able to use drum!

This stage had the gas system on 6 *wide open* and had to fire 5 slugs....well it didnt like that and did not cycle it then cycled the bird shot just fine.

This was set up like a 3 gun nation stage and i dont know if me having the bolt closed with 8 in the mag hurt me but it didnt like me.

Was very fun i came in 34th out of 47. i beat 13 peolpe using a 1941 SVT-40 smile.png

need to get my Saiga happy dont know why it hates me at times i may be limb shouldering it?

Edited by shifty_85
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's cool to see all the saiga action in MI. I have a S12 and S.223 that I am hoping to convert early in the new year. I am not quite comfortable doing it myself. Does anyone know of anyone with a good rep and fair prices in Metro Detroit? Thanks and one day I and going to check out one of those 3 gun competitions they look like a ton of fun.

Thanks,

Anthvent

• 8 months later...

ran a tac shotgun match today. last shotgun match it wouldnt cycle very well at all remington 2 3/4" 1200FPS 8 shot. so i got the Tac auto plug and through it in. well it ran a little better but still not great. adjusted it as far as it would to cycle low brass but still no joy. i took out my CSS puc and i had to beat it out with a cleaning rod. noticed the factory one was not only heavyer but it was longer as well. put than in did a 10 rd dump no prob. it was hit and miss from there on out. had a clean stage of 12 shots. then the last stage *Stage 3* i used what i picked up all day at the range everything was 3 Dram 1300 fps + and it cylced fine. Do i need to drill some gas holes or just buy some better ammo? heres a vid thanks all.

Ran clean this stage with the remington ammo.

And here ran good with the mix of ammo.

Edited by shifty_85