Vepr 30 rnd .223 / 5.56 mags

With some help from my friends we have been able to determine a few magazine options.

Thanks to mancat I was able to get the measurements on his mags. Based on his measurements the Promag .223 AK mag should fit it, and the Polish Beryl. Promags are readily available, Polish Beryl mags are harder to find, but that may change with the release of the Polish Archer AK.

Special thanks to CaptainHero. He sent me a Bulgarian Circle 10 mag body for testing. I can say the Circle 10 mags work like they are made for the Vepr. I did have to take 3/10's of an inch og the magazine release to get the mag catch to allow the mag to lock in.

I'm posting info as it becomes available. I plan on doing a full write up on everything I've done when I get my final configuration worked out.

post-33094-0-85033700-1350492611_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do these require machining or do they work in an unmodified saiga. Also , do these 30rd mags need a bullet guide? Thanks!

Will work in saiga with a bullet guide. You would get familiar with 922r. Can't use high cap mags unless your parts count is right. Check out the Saiga 223 section for more info.

Do these require machining or do they work in an unmodified saiga. Also , do these 30rd mags need a bullet guide? Thanks!

Will work in saiga with a bullet guide. You would get familiar with 922r. Can't use high cap mags unless your parts count is right. Check out the Saiga 223 section for more info.

Not only what Liberty said, but with the Saiga sporter, the front trunnion isnt recessed for standard AK mags and therefore may require minor fitting to clear the bottom of the trunnion.

• 2 weeks later...

The beryl magazine, circle 10 and promag are all copys of eachother they are all based off the bulgarian circle 10 mag thats why they all work

Thanks. I did not know that. I'm sure that others here did not either. I love the forum! Still learning new things.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older RobArms Vepr II in .223 and the Promags work perfectly in my rifle. A couple mags needed to be used several times to become reliable, but I've never had a misfeed once broken in due the magazine. My rifle had a bullet guide installed by RobArms by the way.

Edited by Ronswin
  • 2 months later...

Will the 5.56/.223 VEPR's feed from surplus Galil mags - either poly or steel? I have a 5.56/.223 Saiga that works well with them and I would really like to get the thing a 'companion,' but trying to find a Saiga, any Saiga, at a reasonable price is almost a joke!!! But, maybe the VEPR would be a suitable alternative!

By the way, who is supposed to be the Saiga importer these days, since RAAC isn't any longer? And what are they doing? Because it really doesn't seem like it's importing Saigas!!!

Thanks in advance.

Old SF

No idea on Saiga imports. My guess is we won't see many until they get their house in order. Vepr seems to be trying to fill the void.

From the measurements Galil mags are too wide to work in both poly and steel. By all accounts Bulgy circle ten, Beryl, and promag fit.

Will the 5.56/.223 VEPR's feed from surplus Galil mags - either poly or steel? I have a 5.56/.223 Saiga that works well with them and I would really like to get the thing a 'companion,' but trying to find a Saiga, any Saiga, at a reasonable price is almost a joke!!! But, maybe the VEPR would be a suitable alternative!

By the way, who is supposed to be the Saiga importer these days, since RAAC isn't any longer? And what are they doing? Because it really doesn't seem like it's importing Saigas!!!

Thanks in advance.

Old SF

Legion USA brought some in a while back, and I think theres a few others but not many. I dont think they are pumping many out at the moment. But for considering a Vepr, I would easily suggest one to someone. They do cost more, but I feel you get a bit more in return, and at the moment havent seen the crazy pricetag that the Saigas have in this climate.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got bored and decided to see if a Tapco Galil mag could be fixed to work in the Vepr. Didn't really need to do it, but I need a project every once in a while.

Success! Took maybe 5 minutes.

My camera is down so no pics yet. After removing a couple mm's off each side with the good ol' Dremel it fits and feeds test ammo. Very little wobble. Top on the mag is right where it should be without mods to the front or rear lugs.

Not pretty but inexpensive and it works. I may try using the table say to make more precise trimming on the next one. Probably won't happen until I get bored again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...