With Halloween almost here again and Ive been thinking of ghost and goblins and other shit that scares me besides Obama and the future of our country. Anybody have any good stories? It can be other than ghosts.

Ive got a good one.

It happened in 2003 in Austria, see I used to work for this very rich man for quite a few years and I got to live in Austria for close to five years for this guy. He owend a few houses, one of them a very very old 6 bedroom house with 2 swimming pools. One was an outdoor in-ground pool and in the basement was another in-ground pool, which also had a sauna room and tanning bed. I used to go over sometimes on my day off and go swimming or tanning ect.

The fist time I used the inside pool room in the basement alone, I had an.... experience.

You could gain entry into this room via two ways, One was a door which led into the upper house and the other a sliding door which led outside and up a flight of stairs that opened up to the yard and to other pool.

So I had some time off and decided to go swimming and tanning. I locked both doors for privacy as I wanted to tan naked first. Im the only one in the house besides his wife, his kids were at school and his wife was upstairs. So Im laying in the tanning bed listening to Robbie Williams on CD, which was the only CD I found next to the CD/radio they had down their.

I then heard the jiggling of the door knob and the door moving, like someone tried to walk in and was stopped by the locked door. So I said "just a minute", grabbed a towel and went across the room and opened the door. Nobody. I just figured it was the wife who forgot I was their and went back upstairs. I go lay down and continue doing my thing. Two minutes later it happens again but more forcefully, the jiggling and moving of the door. So I went to the intercom and called up the wife upstairs and she said she was busy cooking. I didnt really think nothing of it, maybe it was one of his kids(2 girls over 10) playing a trick on me.

I go back to tanning and guess what? It happened again! Same as the last time, not violent, but forceful, and followed by a childs giggle. This time I was going to sneak up on the door and open it as it was jiggling, catching whoever it was. I thought it was the girls home from school trying to scare me and having some fun. Plus I wanted the peice of mind it wasnt some ghost or something lol. So Im sneaking up on the door and the knob is going fucking crazy, just as I reach the door it stops.... I wait, my hand poised over the knob waiting for it. A minute went by and Im still waiting, then.. The jiggling! I grap the knob, rip open the door and went Aaaahhhh! wanting to scare the kids who I thought it was.

Nobody there! I stuck my head out into the hall and looked around, I was alone.. That spooked the shit out of me. So I shut the door and Im trying to stay calm walking to shut off the radio and grap my stuff and leave. The door knob jiggled again! I grabbed my towel and RAN to the sliding door, ripped that fucker open and ran up the steps and out into the yard and to the back door so his wife could let me in.

She asked me what happened and I explained myself. She laughed and said it was just the kids having some fun with me. I said I opened the door and no way did they have time to hide plus it was too early in the day and they were at school. She said no, not her kids... The OTHER kids.

She then told me a story about a small group of kids who died around the property in the 20s, they drowned or were caught in a cave in or something like that and sometimes they like to play pranks. Lets just say I NEVER went back down in the basement again!

Edited by GREYLUPO
  • Like 1

Just the time I saw "SOMETHING" flying in the sky... that looked like "venus" in the pre-sunrise-dawn... that instantly shot off AT A 90 DEGREE ANGLE and ACCELRATED into space towards the moon and disappeared as it exited the atmosphere! :eek:

:smoke:

The house I used to live in as a teenager in Loganville, GA was definitely haunted. Funny thing is the house was only 4 years old when we bought it.

One night I was in bed with my parents out of town. I awoke to the door from the outside of the house going into our kitchen opening and the forcefully closing. I thought my parents must have had something happen and had to return early. I called out to them and heard no response. Called out again...nothing. Then I started hearing slow methodical footsteps walking from the kitchen walking back and forth. It amost sounded like someone was pacing, but stomping while pacing. I got my 1962 JC Higgins bolt action .22 from my closet and got on the other side of my bed. I trained the rifle in the limited portion of the kitchen that was visible from my room. Those footsteps continued for about ten minutes, but I never saw anything. After 10 minutes they just stopped. About to crap myself, It took about another 10 minutes for me to muster the courage to go and investigate, and there was nothing there. The door was locked and everything.

Another time, I was awoken from sleep by my water bed jostling all over the place like some one was pushing up and down really fast on the water bed mattress. It was moving pretty violently. As soon as I woke up, whatever was jostling it stopped, but the movement was still there until naturally died down.

We finally sold the place to my uncle. He was single and lived alone. He called me about two months later and asked me "Um...did anything weird ever happen when you lived here?" I said yeah why? He said "I just finished folding my laundry. I walked out of the living room into the bedroom and then came right back and the clothes I just folded were in a single large mixed up pile"

Needless to say he didn't live there long.

Myself and a few friends dabbled in the whole paranormal investigation thing several years back for awhile. One night in one of the more active old houses we would go to, I was trying to record some audio while my friend videoed across the room from me in the second story bedroom. It caught me really off guard so I don't know what was said (to this day it bothers me that I don't know) but I suddenly heard a woman's voice speak three or four words. It sound like it was coming from the corner behind where my friend was standing. Both our eyes got huge, and without saying anything, I nodded to him and he nodded back. We went down stairs, and I directed him to speak with another member of our group about what he heard and I would do the same with another so that we wouldn't cross-contaminate our experiences. When we all got back together, it was confirmed, we both heard the same voice from the same direction.

So now I'm thinking awesome!!! We had two sources of audio recording, my digital recorder and the video camera's audio. I downloaded it all to my laptop on the spot and began to go through it to see what the voice might have said. I couldn't find a thing. Anything at all. Not only was the voice not recorded at the time we heard it... there we no other sounds than the basic ambiance that we could have possibly mistaken for a voice. Now, I can understand hearing something in my head... and I can even, to an extent, understand two separate people hearing the same thing in both their heads... but how in the hell do two people hear the same thing in their heads at the same time and experience it as coming from a specific direction, just like a physical sound???

• Like 1

As a teen, I saw a doll slide clear across the floor of my parents den. I got the F out of dodge so fast! I was alone in the house when that happened. My parents came home to find me outside the house. That house always made strange noises. I would frequently here footsteps at night. Also, it was very common, and we all heard this, to hear horses. We figure it must have been built on land that was part of a trail or something in the past.

Never believed in ghosts. Angels and demons, sure- not ghosts. I moved into a house that an elderly hillbilly had passed away in.

I say "hillbilly" because of the ridiculous shit I found on the property. Live ammo buried next to a tree stump (found with a pickaxe- did not make me happy) backasswards wiring, cardboard for insulation, etc.

I got so fed-up with this crap, I named him "Cletus" and would bitch him out every time something new came up.

One night, after some more wiring issues and a bitch-fest, I gave up and decided to play some video games. I turned off the lights, sat down on my couch, and started my Xbox. Before my TV had warmed up, I heard the fabric of the couch slide as though someone had sat down, followed by a loud sigh. Thinking it was my girlfriend wanting to watch a movie instead, I turned and said, "What?" Then I realized:

I'm alone.

I jumped up, grabbed my 1911 off the coffee table, and screamed, "What the fuck?!?" Cleared the entire house- no one there, but the cupboard doors had been opened.

All the cupboard doors.

A few nights later, I was in the shower and my girlfriend was on the couch. The only two doors were deadbolted shut. She leaned back, closed her eyes, and intended to wait for me to get out.

Shortly after the water was warm, I hopped in and the door opened. "Hey hon, what's up?"

"Were you just messing with me?"

"Huh?"

Less than a minute after she closed her eyes, she heard footsteps in the kitchen and sensed that a person had walked to the edge of the couch then leaned down and said, "Hey."

Her eyes flew open and no one was there. Assuming it was me, she came into the bathroom which I had not left.

...So she made me clear the house in a towel. :lol:

So glad I moved!!!

Ever had "old hag" syndrome or sleep paralysis!? That'll truly scare the hell out of you!

I had it happen during a sleep study, didn't seem to phase them at all.

I was trying to scream, all that shit all over me and I had NEVER had it last for that long, it was over 10 min, for me it felt like something was holding me down also. When I could finally make noise they were like huh, well your brain waves were werid, pulse rate was crazy and all sorts of stuff, ok go back to sleep. Happened a few times since then, but it's been years. For a while it was a couple times a week, I honestly fucking thought I was about to be ass up on a table and be probed the first time or some shit. Not much phases me, but not being able to speak or move is weird.

Almost bleeding to death from a nose bleed is high up there also, no/low platelets, barely a white blood cell to my name, and on blood thinners. Small nose bleed kept getting worse and worse, all the coughing, sneezing, and throwing up strained the tissue in my nose and this spot just kept getting worse, it was right on a major vessel, and I kept blowing these huge clots out of my nose or they were coming out like a "loogie" but not stopping or getting better, kept bugging my doc, the clots were so big they would get stuck in my throat and choke me or gag me, stuck in my nose etc. A giant bag of blood looking thing, the clots would just get bigger and bigger since my bloods lack of ability to stop it fast, it would just fill up slowly and get sticky I guess, forming almost a new blood vessel. During the time leading up to when it just started bleeding out I was getting 70% more blood then normal, and more platelets.

When the dam burst the night before thanksgiving 2000, it started with a sneeze, something got knocked "loose" and blood started coming down my throat, I could breath and was literally going to drown in my own blood, I could only think to blow my nose as the giant clotted nasties were causing breathing trouble anyway, and what came out I can only refer to as a thousand periods worth of clot and horrible, and that made the blood just come out my nose. Screaming for a nurse, my father was out the door, and I knew one of the emergency things, was yank some cords out of the walls, well nurses were coming, and they were only going wtf wtf wtf, ENT and surgeon were called and my room was prepped for go time, that was the longest wait of my LIFE, as the people that were there to help were helpless as I. Finally the guys arrived, I was very weak and loosing consciousness, they had blood and platelets hung and more waiting. They cleared out my nose with afrin and took a quick peak (somehow) pulled out a 8 inch thing with a tampon string shoved it in my nostril and sprayed some saline on it. The blood stopped coming out of my nose and back down my throat... great. Doc was just like WELL FUCK, got the first tampon thing out, grabbed a bigger one and a roll of guaze, shoved it in there and 20 foot of gauze, bleeding finally stopped, softball sized thing in my nose and my nostril was about twice the size of Arnold's in Total Recall when he pulled the ball out. They put me on a roll out bed and cleaned up what my fav nurse said was more blood then she thought it possible to come out a nose, she said she had seen a proper wrist cutter bleed less. I got 4 units of blood that night and 2 platelets, still needed 2 more and one more of platelets in the morning. One nostril is still notably larger then the other one.

The house I used to live in as a teenager in Loganville, GA was definitely haunted. Funny thing is the house was only 4 years old when we bought it.

Doesn't matter on the age of the house. There could have been another house there at one time or it could have merely been the location of a violent crime resulting in death. "Poltergeists' have also been known to follow people around. Usually young teens going through puberty.

I've lived in two haunted houses in the course of my life and they don't really bother me. Must not, I'm still in one of them.

When I was about 13, my sister (4 years my jr.) and I would ride our bikes to the cemetary and enter through the area where one of the iron fence bars was missing, and go pick flowers that others left on the graves and give them to our mom. As we were walking over a graven area (broad daylight) I heard this human growling sound about 10-15 feet in front of me, and saw an apparitional rotted corpse that was mostly skeletal, and transparent in appearance starting to rise slowly up out of the ground, with its bottom jaw slowly opening with the head tilting back and firey flames coming out of its eyes and mouth. I stared at it in shock as my sis who was standing right behind me began to scream as I turned around to see her looking at the very same thing I was looking at. I grabbed her by the hand and ran like a cheetah dragging her about a city block, throwing her on her bike, and dragging her and her bicycle by pedaling mine.

True as a heart attack. To this day, every now and then I'll ask her "What did you see ?" And she has always said the same thing I saw. That was about 1983.

My ex-wife and I were living in Boulder City,Nevada a few years back and spent a 4th of July weekend at a campground on Lake Mead that was supposibily an old indian burial ground. A friend of ours camped with us and we had a fire going. Skulled heads seemed to half arise from the fire, so I told my wife to put the camera on video mode. My friend Mark was standing opposite us on the other side of the fire as we were filming, when suddenly a full sized flamed apparition walked about a good 10' behind Mark, arms swinging with head looking right at us that appeared to come out of one tree, and vanashed into the next. We also captured 2-3 heads up to their necks submerge from the fire pit.

Mark also took a piss with his back to us as we were talking, when suddenly he was shoved in his shoulder. I saw this happen, and it literally looked like someone invisible shoved him pretty good. He started yelling " Something just pushed me!" I said I saw it. True story. We showed the footage to a bunch of different people and they were in awe! I have the camera, and told my ex never erase it, but she must have.

My sister and I when we were little were at out great granny's house one afternoon when a big thunderstorm was rolling through, and GG was saying prayers in Polish out loud when the handle to the attic door knob slowly turned and the creaking door slowly opened. My sister and I began screaming like a couple of four year olds that had just shit their pants on the playground, and GG took her bottle of Holy water and shook it at the door as it immediatly slammed shut. Her attic had a small window at the back over a porch roof that she never opened, so it didn't open and close from a vaccuum. This event freaks out my sister to this day!

Anywho, here are my personal experiences. I have better things to do than make up ghost stories. Thank you fellers for sharing yours!

When I was in Baghdad we where in an old office building near the edge of town. The cafeteria was separate from the main building with a breeze from the second floor over to a stair case that lead down to the cafeteria/ make shift gym area. Every one through the breeze way at night was creepy (maybe it was all the bullet hole in the wall about head level) We had the building fortified pretty good with cameras, 24 hr guards, and 20ft walls with razor wire around the whole place, etc.... I lived down in the basement with the rest of my team, another platoon lived on the 2nd floor. The guys on the 2nd floor side from time to time their doors would rattle like some one was trying to open the door, things in the room would move, etc.. It became a fairly common thing and a few guys tried "picking a fight" with it but it would only rattle the door never open the door and go in. Several time people heard a little girl laughing on the second floor. I know at least on guy saw a little girl running around the second floor as he was walking down the breeze way.

My Grandma had stories about how the house they grew up in was haunted. After her dad died a ghost meet people at the door more then once, people that didn't know he had died assume it was him taking their coats etc... The ghost would also walk around the house at times. It left for good when one day, it was blocking a hallway and would not let my great grandma walk by. She told it to move and it didn't so she walked through it, said it was really weird but it never came back after that.

Edited by Rusty truck

Somewhere around 1980 I woke up on the beach about 500 feet from a bar in Galveston Texas in a sleeping bag next to my motorcycle and next to me in the sleeping bag was the most Godawful wench I had ever seen. I'm not sure if I screamed or if it was one of those silent screams but I just got up an started jogging away saying I had to take a piss and I just couldn't go back. I circled around and waited her out from a distance while swearing to give up alcohol forever from that moment on. She finally left and I got away. Still to this day I don't really know who she was or how she ended up there with me but I do know I didn't fuck her. I didn't quit drinking after that but it was a wake up call and it did make me a lot more careful.

• Like 3

I had the sleep paralysis thing happen a few times at my old house. My eyes would open, I would feel my body start to tingle, and I couldn't move. You try to yell and move, but can't. Eventually I just learned to wake myself up.

The weird part is, it hasn't happened at my new house. We used to live in this newer model trailer, and I would hear footsteps running down the hallway. They were like kid footsteps, running until they got to my door, and then they'd stop, and nothing. This is in the middle of the night, no one around, A/C not on, no water running, TV's are off, nothing could have made that noise. My room was by the bathroom, and when anyone at any time of the day would go to the bathroom, you could hear them clearly walking and coming towards my room. I know it sounded just like a kid running, because I always heard footsteps there. These footsteps were a little lighter, and quicker compared to what I would always hear. It would last about three seconds, and they'd always start farther away, and get closer. I had a friend come over one night and told him about it sometime earlier in the day. Probably around 11:30ish, I thought I heard it. I got up, turned the Xbox and TV off, and told him to listen. About a minute later it happened again. My dad was asleep on the other end of the house, and it was just us two. He said the same thing, it sounded like a kid running down the hallway.

Anyways, back to the sleep paralysis thing. Usually I would hear those footsteps (being a light sleeper), and the sleep paralysis would hit me like a ton of bricks. The first few times it happened, it freaked the hell out of me, couldn't move, scream, etc. My body would tingle, and sometimes I think I even remember seeing nothing but black, with like grey wisps floating around. After I learned to "fight it", I just attributed it to dreaming and stuff, but it was definitely weird. I'd always go back to sleep right after, or get up and go to the bathroom. It was always hard to tell whether the sleep paralysis was me dreaming, or if it was real,

I do watch a lot of paranormal and cryptozoology shows, like Monsterquest, Is it Real?, and other stuff like that. That could be a reason for me dreaming the sleep paralysis thing, but that also doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Sleep paralysis happens when you're in a stage of dreaming, yet you're also conscious, and is supposedly completely normal. Also, it's happened all over the world for a long time, and usually, the "entity" causing it varies by region. Everyone reports not being able to move, scream, etc. Traditionally in Asian culture, it's an old witch sitting on your chest. In Europe, it's a ghost or witch. In America, it's either alien abductions or ghosts. I think that all depends on your culture. When you're exposed to things in your culture, like stories, books, TV, pictures, etc, you subconsciously think and dream about those things. Alien abductions, while are now reported all over the world, are much much more widespread in America than they are other cultures. I don't think that's because aliens have a thing for Americans, I think it's because we are exposed to it. If you're exposed to it enough, you start to dream and think about it, whether you know it or not.

I am a skeptic. I usually look for the most logical explanations for things. I have to admit, my experience with the sleep paralysis and ghostly footsteps was weird, especially how they seemed to coincide with each other. It could have just been a coincidence, but I guess I'll never know.

Edit: Also, it's a popular belief that if you experience ghost activity, someone either died in your house, you own an object that was the deceased's, or your house was built on land that someone died on, or is buried on. I have found hundreds of arrowheads on that property over the years, along. There's also an area on that property where someone was illegally digging for indian artifacts. I think me and my friend counted 50 or so newly dug holes, with their corresponding dirt pile beside them, ranging anywhere from 2'x6' to 6'x10', and one to two feet deep. I've heard many accounts of "indian burial grounds" causing paranormal activity, so I suppose my experience could be attributed to that.

Edited by jmzzl

Ah, I forgot a good one!

My mother, God bless her, can be a bit paranoid. A few years ago, I moved back in with my folks to save some money and get a new start. One night, my mom (who worked 2nd shift at a hospital over 20 miles away) came home around 2AM freaked the hell out. "I saw it again."

"Saw what, mom?"

"I don't know exactly what it is, but bright lights in the sky followed me almost all the way home."

According to her, she had seen bright, hovering lights several times before in the same area. She would roll the windows down on a road with no traffic, yet hear nothing but the wind.

"Tonight," she said, "I decided to pull over and see what happened."

She pulled over, shut her van off, and waited. A minute later, the lights seemed to drop silently closer and begin to slowly circle her vehicle. She stuck her head out the window for a better view and could hear absolutely no sound coming from the object. She described a winged craft, several hundred feet in the air with an enormous wingspan. With nothing in the air to compare it to, she couldn't give an approximate size but, "It was big."

She started her van back up and drove off, speeding homeward. "I kept looking in my mirrors but I couldn't see it. It stayed right above me the entire way. It even got closer to the ground as I sped up, as though it was keeping pace with me. Every time I slowed or sped up, it just stayed right with me."

Shortly after this, I was driving home and spotted these hovering lights in the area she had described. They didn't follow me home, but I got a good view of the object and made a pretty definitive I.D. She came home shortly after I did and I asked if she saw her 'friends' tonight.

"Yeah, I did! It didn't follow me this time, but I saw it again. Did you see it??"

"Yes I did mom," I said while grinning from ear-to-ear, "and I saw it exactly where you described except you left one detail out."

"What did I leave out?"

"The curves in the road and the hill you described happen to be right next to the Defense Logistics Agency."

"So?"

"Mom, that's not a UFO in the middle of nowhere! It's a UAV patrolling a D.O.D. warehouse!" :lolol:

Fort Wayne is rumored to have the largest stockpile of VX nerve gas in the world. A few years back, this little depot just outside of town had a whole lot of trucks going in and out. There's a razor-wire fence and 24hr guard at the gate.

My mother, bless her heart, pulled over in front of a government facility for no apparent reason and then sped away while being observed semi-covertly. Well duh, they're gonna follow you after that! :lol:

• Like 2

I had a good friend who was a Vietnam vet. One day I was over his house and he was showing me a painting his assistant gunner in Nam had done shortly before he was killed.

It showed a GI wading through a swamp and was very crudely done. He was explaining to me how he hated the painting but could not bring himself to take it down. As soon as he said that the damn painting jumped off the wall and fell down behind the dresser it was hung over.

The thing actually went up first and then fell down as if someone lifted it off its hanging wire.

Freaked us both out and we left the room asap.

Yeah sleep paralysis can be pretty scary. The first time It happened to me I had no clue what it was. Then, found out a little about it and some stories online. That was about 7 years ago. It would happen every week for a month or so and then nothing for several months. It hasn't happened in quite a while now but... The last time "the hag" visited me was for several days over about a month. It got so bad to the point I didn't even want to go to sleep. Same symtoms others have posted. Just not a good feeling. I'd wake up from it and it's start all over as soon as I would fall back asleep. There were times I'd just get up and watch tv and pass out on the couch. Then it just stopped. Not something I care to do again.

Now as for ghost stories... I have a few. I'll post one now and a couple more when I get time.

When I was about 19, my girlfriend at the time lived in house where a man was shot to death. The original owner of the house, Larry, preferred the company of men. While out at a local bar, he met a guy and they decided to go back to the house for drinks. Larry started putting the moves on his new friend, who drew a pistol and shot Larry 3 times through the chest in his bedroom.

(or so the story goes)

My girlfriends bedroom was the room Larry was shot in. There were three small spots in the drywall whet the bullets went through. These spots didn't seem to cover or fix well. Her stepdad said he had tried to repair them several times but every time the three spots would reappear. They looked like sunk in spots with a bit of cracking. I never saw this part but was told that they had hung a decorative throw up to cover the area and it developed a dark stain where the holes in the wall were.

I stayed there with her a few times when her parents would be gone. I myself heard heavy footsteps through the house. There were a few times where we would be dead asleep only to be awakened by her TV turned on, volume up to max, to nothing but static. Always felt like someone was watching you in that house...

As to the sleep paralysis thing.... that can happen when your mind/spirit becomes conscious before your body/brain wakes up. Your brain is still in "sleep mode" and keeps your limbs from moving around. You are trying to animate a body that is sleeping and can't, which causes the frustration and fear. I've heard it's pretty easy to stop that by focusing on just moving a little finger or your toes.

I haven't had that happen, but I've had other odd things while sleeping. Had something sitting on my chest and choking me one night. Oddly enough, I wasn't at all scared, in fact I started laughing at it in my mind. Then I told it in my mind, "Jesus is coming, you better run!", and it left.

I have a ghost story too.

I used to hang out at a party house when I was around 18-19. I worked with the lady of the house at a local department store at the time and got to be friends with her and her old man. Big old house, in ground 55K gallon heated pool. Very cool place to party. They always told me the place was haunted, but I only sort of half believed them. With all of the people partying all the time, I figured it was no surprise that they would "see things" sometimes and think the place was haunted.

So one night I was having a beer and chatting with the lady in the kitchen, and a "shadow" came flying through the closed kitchen door from the breezeway, flew right between us and then flew into the living room and shot up the stairs. It looked just like a shadow you'd see on the ground on a summer day except it was flying through the air. It was moving so fast I could barely follow it with my eyes. We both stopped talking and I asked her, "Did you see that?". She just smiled and said, "Yep, I told ya about this place.".

Somebody took a picture of a buddy of mine (same house) where he was standing in front of a bonfire and there appeared to be a hand coming out of the flames reaching for him. He died in a car wreck a month later.

I spent many nights there and was never scared of all of the activity going on, I found it interesting.

Edited by Spartacus

I've seen things in real life that most people couldn't fathom in their wildest imaginations. I actually saw a guy cannibalize himself, a guy cut off his own eyelids with toenail clippers, a guy hiding sporks in his urethra, literally hundreds of slicings and stabbings, a guy scooping his own coagulated, pooled blood off the floor and throwing it onto the ceiling. Industrial accidents that included amputation by saws, chains, and impalement.

Scary? I've become immune and cold to it, although I do get chills when I hear the coyotes get a kill at night.

• Like 1

Not scary, but odd none the less. My mom died of cancer spending her last days in a nursing home. The day she died it was raining when I got the call that the time was near. I was driving my ass off in the rain and happened to look at the clock in my car about 5 min from the home, at the same time the clouds parted and the sun came beaming through just for a few seconds. When I arrived she had just passed, by coincidence or possibly a sign, she had died when I checked my clock in the car (same time exactly). I've never been what I'd consider to be a faithful person even though she spent time teaching sunday school...to this day I have to wonder if indeed the spirit go's on and our love ones have the ability to look in on us. I have to say when it happened and I was driving, I felt a sense of peace that shouldn't have been there considering I expected to be there to see her last minutes of life. Take it for what it's worth, but the story is true.

Somewhere around 1980 I woke up on the beach about 500 feet from a bar in Galveston Texas in a sleeping bag next to my motorcycle and next to me in the sleeping bag was the most Godawful wench I had ever seen. I'm not sure if I screamed or if it was one of those silent screams but I just got up an started jogging away saying I had to take a piss and I just couldn't go back. I circled around and waited her out from a distance while swearing to give up alcohol forever from that moment on. She finally left and I got away. Still to this day I don't really know who she was or how she ended up there with me but I do know I didn't fuck her. I didn't quit drinking after that but it was a wake up call and it did make me a lot more careful.

That is a true horror story. The really scary part is wondering about whether or not you really did consummate your relationship with your newfound friend but just didn't remember. Not saying you did.....

Wanna hear a really scary story?

When I was in the Navy a fellow sailor was drugged at a bar and butt raped on the beach. The local cops found him passed out face down in the sand with a condom hagging out his bloody ass. He also missed the the boat because of this.

I had a good friend who was a Vietnam vet. One day I was over his house and he was showing me a painting his assistant gunner in Nam had done shortly before he was killed.

It showed a GI wading through a swamp and was very crudely done. He was explaining to me how he hated the painting but could not bring himself to take it down. As soon as he said that the damn painting jumped off the wall and fell down behind the dresser it was hung over.

The thing actually went up first and then fell down as if someone lifted it off its hanging wire.

Freaked us both out and we left the room asap.

The buddy who painted it must have been there, hanging out with his old friend... listening in... and figured "Hey... if YOU wont take it down, and you dont like it... then *I* WILL!!! " and he DID!!! :up:

:smoke:

I do not know whether any of you know this feeling. It has to do with physical fatigue. I most associate it with the catnaps I could take on my bed in my American boarding high school in New England after showering after wrestling practice, and just before dressing for a formal sit-down dinner. So long ago. Maybe partially because of lack of sleep, and certainly largely due to the extreme physical strenuousness of wrestling practice, I would lie awake on my bed with my eyes closed in a fetal position. Recharging with what little time I had before putting on a jacket and a tie for dinner. I was once told that with the proper breathing technique, one could get the equivalent of three hours of sleep in thirty minutes. I have done this many times. I still do it today when necessary.

Occasionally when I do this, I come close to falling briefly, but deeply asleep. Occasionally during these times I find myself momentarily paralyzed. Sometimes during these strange incidents I experience an odd physiological sensation. Once in a while whilst awake, I feel my soul leave my body and slowly drift upward, and then abruptly snap back into place. An out-of-body experience. I have heard this described as "The Silver Chain Phenomenon." There is nothing unusual about this to me. I must admit I do find it a little strange. However, this has happened to me so many times that I know and recognize this feeling. I equate it with being tired. It just happens. It is no more uncommon than a muscular twitch in your eye or leg.

This one morning I awoke paralyzed on my back and found myself looking at the ceiling. This was a little uncommon as I usually sleep on my side, but certainly no cause for alarm. I estimate that it must have been a quarter to six as daylight had meekly permeated into my room. I must emphasize that I was indeed awake despite my apparent paralysis as I very vividly remember my eyelids blinking. These were my waking minutes in the mountains. I have awoken many mornings like this, although not always paralyzed. These are normally blissful moments. Moments before I would rise, go to the bathroom, open the door of my home, put a chair in the doorway, begin to boil some water to make mountain tea, and sit down to gaze at the other mountain across mine, separated by the deep gorge that is Echo Valley; watch the morning mists rise into the sky, and think about my life.

So I lay there on my back a little oddly, but pleasurably paralyzed, staring at the knots on the pinewood planks that made my ceiling. Then suddenly a feeling of great anxiety came over me. A most unpleasant kind of awareness. These are understatements to the way I actually felt. This is the only way I know to describe it. How do you know that someone else is in your home? In another room. A presence. It is an inexplicable-tingling sensation: I began to think:

"Damn it!, Damn it!, Damn it!, Damn it!, somebody is in here with me and I am paralyzed."

I felt helpless. This is reminiscent of the feeling I have in my dreams wherein I am about to be in a fistfight with someone and I find myself paralyzed, unable to throw a punch. In reality when these dreams occur I am more than likely asleep on my stomach with my hands on my chest, hence my inability to throw a punch. This time I was awake and my eyes blinking. Slowly the degrees of panic and worrisome concern crept up on me. Whoever that person might be, at this time in the morning, their intentions cannot be friendly.

While friends from town do routinely come by my homes in the morning and wake me up, they never let themselves in; preferring to hang around outside and holler my name. They also never ever come this early.

I was then reminded of one previous tenant in this home. I was friendly with him, greeting him when I met him on the road. But there was something I didn't like about him. I certainly did not trust him. He was a tall, silent, subnormal bespectacled American theologian who walked with a strange gait that looked like a limp. I wondered what he was doing in town. Well, it seems that one day during the annual town fiesta, masked armed men, most certainly visitors from out of town; wielding M-16s, broke his door down and robbed him at gunpoint of his US dollars. He was shot through the hand.

"But why rob me? Everybody in town knows that I have nothing of value to them." I thought.

But who knows what weird thoughts people come up with. When I first came to town in 1989, I learned that I was put under surveillance by elements of both the communist New People's Army (NPA) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines(AFP). Solely because of my ability to speak Tagalog, and perhaps the apparent absence then of Manila tourists; the communists thought I was a CIA operative, while the military thought I was a communist sympathizer from the Netherlands. Wild isn't it?

By now I was in a state of utter helplessness and runaway panic. Blazing paranoia. If that were not bad enough, I was the recipient of what I construe to be very hostile emotions. A sense of bad vibes. Ugliness, utter malice, hatefulness, and evil intent are only some of the words that come to mind when I remember those feelings I felt then. Now, who or what ever this person or being was; I felt was about to enter the doorway of my bedroom. I, in all my years of living on this planet, have never ever seen or felt anything so terrifying, real or imagined.

It was a ghoul. Zombie. Undead person. Demonic manifestation. Call it what you want. I could not believe my eyes. For a minute I thought that this might be some sort of hallucination. That thought quickly dispelled, and until today I refuse to entertain that possibility. It was "the presence" and the nature of feelings that I felt, and lastly my blinking eyes that convinced me. As the saying goes: "To see is to believe." During these moments I absolutely wanted not to believe what I was seeing. I thought I was a rational person, but now I had no choice as this inconceivable terror faced me.

I wonder whose grandmother she was. She certainly wasn't happy. Not a happy camper. And I do wonder what she had against me. She wanted to kill me. I had no doubt about that murderous intent. Anger you could not believe.

She was dressed like some of the grandmothers I saw in town or on incoming or outgoing Ford Fieras going or coming from Bontoc, or surrounding barangays. On her head she had one of those large polyester imitation Hermes' scarves wrapped about her head. She had a long, dark skirt, black sweater, and thin black jacket. All her clothes were dirty and disheveled. Her skin and face were a purplish blue sooted with black. She bore her clenched rotten black teeth at me. And those eyes. That look. That fiercely, tightly, knotted brow, and the look of bloodthirsty anger in her eyes. I will never forget that look, no-one alive I have met could have ever hated me that much.

She was through the doorway now and at the foot of my bed. I felt she was about to clamber on to my bed, take out a knife, and slit my throat.

I was more than a little frustrated to be paralyzed and in this situation. I tried with all the might I had to free myself. But there was a huge, massive force holding my chest down. A strong magnet that you could not imagine. My eyes blinked faster and faster. Who or what kind of force was holding me down was, I was very reluctant to admit; much stronger than I was. I faced the horrifying possibility that this indeed might be the end of my life. I was paralyzed with fear and helplessness. Death via bangungot or what western medicine knows as SUDS (Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome). A unique condition exclusively afflicting Southeast Asian men. Technically, the pancreas explodes and the person subsequently dies; it is thought while dreaming. Often the culprits are name as eating too much rice and not drinking enough water before bedtime. But I have experienced bangungot before, while asleep. I was awake now, and for a Filipino man I do not eat nearly as much rice as any of my average brethren. Was this it? Is this the way I check out? Was this the way my movie was going to end? I have never been so close to death. I could see the tabloid newspaper headline now: "Minor poet and businessman, 29, from semi-prominent Manila family mysteriously found dead in Mountain Province log cabin."

How do you feel when you face certain death? What do you do? What can you do? Is this going to hurt? How long will it take?

"O.K. If I do die, where am I going after? Will I see my father again? Am I going where he is?" I thought.

I awaited death.

Then.

Something happened.

"He" had re-entered my life. "He" had returned after an absence of three years. And for the first time, "He" had appeared not in my dreams, but while I was awake. To enter and take possession of my body. Yes, I am not ashamed to tell you that yes, I was "possessed," if only for one moment in time.

Now who is "He"?

Historically, when mankind encounters the unknown, it tends to mythologize. The Greeks did it, and so did everyone else who came before and after them. I would like to think that those educated, post-modern men and women among us tend to "theorize." We grasp at straws when we encounter the mysterious. We tell ourselves;

"Perhaps it is this way. . ."

At times, I am prone to be philosophical. I am naturally curious about life, and often I make guesses, inferences, about those things that I do not know about. I do the best I can to make sense of what I am given. It is the only way I know.

Dreams and the subconscious are mysterious. Often I believe that some of our dreams maybe manifestations of our physical condition. I do not have to mention that some of our dreams are totally random and make no sense at all. However, at times I am led to believe that some of the times, there are recurring symbols, images, themes, and events that your subconscious presents you. Your subconscious, your soul, your life, is trying to tell you something.

Beginning 1988, when I was 16, and sprinkled throughout the subsequent eight years all the way up to 1996, I had a series of dreams with a single recurring theme: "He."

It is perhaps because of "He" that I have been led to believe in reincarnation. Not only that, but what we are today, our souls, are in fact a composite of souls from past lives. "He" maybe indirectly, had shown and taught me this. It is about recognition. Familiarity. What is familiar to you?

Today, as a young man trodding upon the mean, mean streets of Metro Manila, when Independence Day comes around on June 12, and I see all the Katipunero flags, All the Philippine Flags, all the costumed Philippine troops in the army uniform style of over a hundred years ago, (Los Rayadillos) I say to myself:

"That's ours."

When I find myself in Plaza Calderon in Santa Ana driving by the Santa Ana Church (Our Lady of the Abandoned) I say to myself:

"That's ours."

Jeepneys, kalesas (Philippine horse-drawn carriages), shrimp, beef, or pork sinigang (a sour soup with vegetables and taro similar to the Thai Tom Yam Gum soup), any kind of pancit (native noodles), bulalo(beef shank and bone marrow soup with vegetables), balut(duck eggs), taho(fresh soya bean curd), daing na bangus(fried or dried milkfish), halo-halo(Filipino milkshake with sago, breadfruit and other ingredients), sapin-sapin (a kind of sweet, blue or yellow dyed, rice cake dessert), kutsinta(similar to sapin-sapin but an orangeish more gelatinous sweet rice cookie), suman( a gray boiled sweet sticky rice), bibingka(baked rice cake with dried, shredded coconut meat), nipa huts (Philippine dried cogon grass huts), Max's fried chicken, Manila Bay sunsets, and ice cold San Miguel Beer I say to myself:

"That's ours."

It's familiar. We Filipinos recognize these things. They are part and parcel of who and what we are.

My academic adviser in university once had the good fortune to find himself at the Hindu temple complex in Borobodur, Indonesia. He told me that as he put his hand upon a stone stupa, a tingling sensation overcame him, and he had an overwhelming sense of, familiarity. It is very plausible to me. Perhaps one his past lives lie familiar to that place. After all, the very same people who built that temple held outposts of their empire far north, to what is now the Philippines. The Hindu-Buddhist Sri Vijayan Empire. We have an island group called the Visayas, a name which no doubt has origins from that empire.

Through the years I have had over two dozen dreams related to "Him". Now who is "He"? I do not have a specific name for "Him". I would love to see his face. I have longed to. I have never. I only know his character. "He" is part of me. During my first dream, I saw a pair of hands. My hands. The long, elaborately woven golden thread bracelets on my left wrist, and the large heavy silver almost gauntlet-like silver bracelet on my right. My first thoughts came from him directly communicating to me:

"This is you. Or at least part of you, a long, long time ago, in a previous life."

"He" was very familiar. I will call him "The Warrior Spirit. The Warrior Spirit, I believe was an ancient Khmer warrior prince. A kind and loved leader of his people. Not one whole ruled from above, but one who stood shoulder to shoulder with his people, and personally led them into battle at the front line.

"He" has shown and made me feel many things. I remember many things. I remember fighting, lots of fighting. I remember being surrounded by enemies, a sword in each hand, whirling like a dervish, hacking dozens of people, and then suddenly waking from that dream. I remember certain kinds of armor and weaponry. I remember rushing through a crowd of enemy soldiers shoving, stabbing, and slashing on my left and right. I realize that is not the best of karmic events, but that was what I was given, what the Warrior Spirit of the Khmer warrior prince showed me.

I remember moonlit nights in royal temple complexes and the deeply heartfelt, honest and unconditional love of an astonishingly, stunningly beautiful woman whose only desire was to be with me, and be the recipient of my gentlemanly kindness. I would wake up crying, wanting to go back, wanting to be with her again. Even today, as silly, hopeless, and impossible as it sounds, I look for that soul. Where has she traveled through time and lives to? Is she here in the Philippines? Is she back in Indo-China? Is she in Europe? The United States?

It is no small wonder that I inexplicably have no small attraction to Indochinese women. "Why do I crave for that food? Why do I enjoy it so much? Why do I feel comfortable with knives? Why do I have an addiction in collecting bladed weapons? Particularly Southeast Asian ones? Why do I like Khmer art? Why does it seem eerily "familiar." When in January of 1992 I had the opportunity to go to the Thai Royal Palace, I had absolutely no illusions that I used to live there, but it seemed "familiar." I had been there before in a past life, I was sure of it. Could I have been a guest there in a past life? Hundreds of years ago? I remember seeing the armory. Swords, spears, bolos(machetes), armors, axes, halberds, all of them, and thinking:

"Wow. Nasty. Painful. "Familiar."

It happened so quickly. It might be important to note that I now weigh about 160 pounds. At the time of this incident I weighed 174 pounds. I was not thin, but neither was a frightfully obese. "He" filled me with overwhelming strength and anger. How my body went from prone, paralyzed, lying face up at a 180 degree angle, to rapidly sit up all the way to a 90 degree right angle in less than a second, I know not how. It is physically impossible for me to duplicate this feat. If I tried now I am certain I would hurt myself. Strength returned to my arms, to my body. Courage appeared in my heart. The fear was gone now, replaced by anger. There was this bloodlust that filled my brain. Revenge. Payback time.

I thought to myself:

"Ah. You are trying to kill me?!? Fuck you! What have I done to you?!? You are trying to kill me?!? Fuck you! I will kill you! I will fucking kill you" or die trying, because I..am..The Warrior! And this is my way. I will not lie here and allow you to take my life. If I die, I die fighting. Fuck you! Fuck off!"

My forehead had tightly knotted. My eyes bore a fierceness. My fists wanted to hit something. In that split second, rather involuntarily if you ask me, I sat up, stared down evil undead grandma in the eye with my murderous intent, and apparently with my tongue hanging out and my head nodding from side, found myself yelling at the top of my lungs:

"Yyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhh!"

The grimy old bitch vanished.

Hmm. I didn't know I had a little Maori in me. Could it be?

"He" the Warrior Spirit, the Khmer warrior prince, had entered my body and taken possession of it. "He" was "familiar." I knew it was "Him" and none other. "He" had saved my life. Was "he" what they call my "Guardian Angel"?

Sitting up on my mattress wondering what had just happened, that is how I got up out of bed that morning, in shock.

"What the fuck was that?" Was my first thought. "That fucking old bitch tried to kill me!" Was my second.

Later in Manila I went on the internet to my search engine of choice, and typed "sleep paralysis." Well wouldn't you know. One of the first things that come up was a phenomenon called the "Old Hag Attack" (OHA). How appropriate. Victims in Nova Scotia, Canada, where this term was coined, report seeing a hideous old lady sitting upon their chests. Paralysis and an "evil presence" are also always reportedly felt. It is also apparently a cross-cultural phenomenon with incidents recorded in several countries like Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.

Oh really? I now stand up to be counted for the Philippines. It is a welcome relief to feel that one is not crazy. Or at least alone in this strange belief.

During the spring break of 1988 I was graciously invited by a German Swiss-American friend to her home in Providence, Rhode Island. There I was introduced to a friendly, very interesting older gentleman who I was informed was a family friend. He was interested in the works of Alistair Crowley, and related occult books. This man inexplicably took an interest in me (perhaps because I was reading Tarot Cards at the time) and informed me that I was psychic. Then as now, I didn't know what to think. Two years later in Manila, I was told by the mesmerizingly beautiful daughter of a Sri Lankan scientist working at the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), that my "Third Eye" had not yet opened. What an interesting Buddhist perspective. The third time I came to this town in 1992, I briefly stayed in the home of painter Diokno Pasilan. I also artistically collaborated with him in that house. In the course of a conversation with him he told me that the house was talking to him. That the "spirits" were revealing themselves to him. I was very intrigued by this, very interested and said that I would like to see and speak with "them." He told me:

"No. I don't really think you would like that. It is not that cool. The spirits of the house have a habit of "making me ‘gulat’ (Frightening) and playing supernatural practical jokes on me."

Oh. Oh yes. That does not sound very cool at all. I'll pass on that. I must now tell you that Diokno's house then lay at the foot of "Mount Calvary", the local Episcopalian cemetery. I was long informed by David, that my home, Cangbay's place, atop a hill where on one face of the gorge that is Echo valley, is situated above a cave accessible only with ropes. This cave is used as a burial cave. This is one of the caves with the "hanging coffins." Residents of town who wish to be buried in the traditional, ancestral, pagan way, are put in wooden coffins which are placed on rocky shelves within the caves. Hence the term "hanging coffins." I was living on top of a burial cave. That fact never bothered me for three months in 1994. Now as I had mentioned, perhaps a sea change had taken place. I was coming to the conclusion that perhaps that cave under my home had a new, unhappy resident. Certainly seemed plausible. A violent death? A murder? Ill-feeling at the time of death? Who or what that was that tried to kill me never appeared again. Never tried to kill me again. The warrior spirit of the Khmer warrior prince using my body and soul, had repulsed that evil undead grandmother. Happily I never saw her again, but some thing, or things continued to taunt me, usually in the early hours of daylight. I would be drifting in and out of sleep and the "spirits" would be revealing, themselves in my dreams. Again, more hateful thoughts, more jeering, very bothersome and annoying. Ugly images. Horror. No my life was no longer under threat, and nothing else came close to the terror I felt when my life was threatened. But that is not to say that I continued to live under the spectre of a unique fear. The knowledge and fear of the feeling of the fact that you are not alone. Not being alone with "an evil presence" also does not help things. I once awoke finding myself unconsciously, feebly, trying to speak, muttering:

"Sumaa-a...Sumaa-a...Go to the light...Go to the light..."

This was surprising as while I knew that "Sumaa-a" meant "Go Home" in Kankan-Ey; I had not been using it with any kind of frequency at that time. It may have been only once or twice that someone in town told me what it meant.

Someone would later comment to me that they felt that they "were being watched" inside the house, that someone or some thing was "watching" them. I did not really view my situation in this way. It was more that I felt that I was not alone in the house. I would be chopping garlic and onions an hour after noon and a cold wind would blow into the house, my spine would tingle, my arm hairs would stand on end, and I wouldn't feel very liked. Not nice. Not a nice feeling. If this is what being psychic is like, what you third eye now being completely open is like, well; quite frankly, I am not very curious or interested at all. Life is short as it is, and I have better things to do than seeing dead people who are not in a good mood trying to kill me. This is also most unpleasant.

I feel I am also at fault here. Two things. For one, I stupidly left my beloved Rambo knife in Manila because I was hauling up many things and that the last minute I thought it would be "too heavy." What a stupid man I was. I would never make that mistake again. From then on I would sleep with my Rambo knife next to my pillow, and my bolo (machete) made especially for me in Natonin, Mountain Province, next to my bed. In subsequent trips I would also bring a Batangas bolo with a carabao horn handle that I bought, and a Gerber Airborne Special Forces-style knife that a close friend had gifted me. My "old reliables." My security blankets.

When I told Gary what happened, he jokingly said: "Oh really? What were you smoking?"

"You see, that's my whole point Gary, I wasn't smoking anything." I retorted.

When I complained to my neighbors about my experiences, urging them to sacrifice some large animal up there to appease the spirits, and relating how uncomfortable I was without a bolo, my neighbor ex-postmaster Billy said:

"You didn't ask for one. Next time, ask for one, we'll lend you one."

Why didn't I think of that?

• Like 1

Very interesting writing rm.

You should turn that into a book.

Actually it's part of a novella I have to finish called "The Tribal Name" about my experiences in the Mountain Province. There are other supernatural incidents but this one is the most vivid.

• Like 1