saiga conversion

HI first post sorry if theres a sticky with step by step instruction on this coudnt find it.

I had a bulgarian from arsenal 5-10 years ago and sold it. Im looking to get back in the market.

I would like to buy an m92 krinkov parts kit and assemble it but after research it looks like a bout a 1000.00 after I pay a guy to put it together.

sooo how would someone take a hunting rifle saiga and turn it into a Russian war horse with bakelite everything? is it possible?

thanks in advance

It's very possible and is done often. You really need to do a search as there are loads of threads on this. But, in short, you'd need to do the following:

1. Basic conversion (trigger, pistol grip, buttstock, bullet guide)

2. Front end conversion (gas tube, gas block and handguard retainer, upper and lower HGs)

3. Front sight block swap + muzzle brake (for a 74/100-series clone) or threading the barrel (for slant brake)

There are other things I'm forgetting, but that's the jist of it.

Here's an example:

http://forum.saiga-1...-folding-stock/

Edited by W8lifter

Many thanks , I have zero gunsmith ability , tools , experience. I can detailed strip and even reassemble most guns from lugers to ar's.

wich leads me to another question can a vepr be reasonalbly modded to accept milsurp mags?

I have access to a local shop and the guy has reasonable shop prices for the gas block and muzzle/flash hider

Edited by aks74u

If you have no skills a VEPR in 762x39 and 16" flavor may be better for you..

You can drop in a new TAPCO G2 (single hook), go with a US made stock (using the DPH stock VEPR adaptor for wood by CSS)..

Grab a US made Timbersmith stock set from CSS (Carolina Shooters Supply) and all the other parts you need and go that route.

If you plan on wanting a muzzle brake or flash-hider you should get a VEPR in Ver 02.. it has a 100/300 rear AK site and is pre-threaded under the muzzle nut/cap which is removed fairly easy.

Get a bullet guide and run some regular AK mags

Classic Arms sells the VEPR already done up (which may be a faster option for you).. they have flash hiders and are already set and come with 30 round mags..

The other option is just by an Arsenal AK from KVAR and be done..

My avatar <<< has the 762x39 Saiga all done up with wood.. << I miss it..

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

YouTube it. Its simple. U need a drill a punch and a pair of needle nose pliers. Remove bcg and stock. Drill out 3 rivets take out old crap. Paint the bottom. Install new fcg and furniture. U have a basic conversion. Gas block and what no clue haven't gotton there yet

I just found out I can have a local builder put together a bulgarian 5.45x39 aks74u together for 1500.00 and install the muzzle once I buy a tax stamp at no extra charge.

after the krinkov research I have done it sounds decent.

what do you guys think?

Be careful with that. See if you can find other ones he's built to make sure he doesn't perform a hack job. Also, do you already have a barrel?