Scope options for the 54R VEPR??

Deciding on the low-pro BP-02 and a US made scope (around $200 mark).

Nikon 4-12x40 with Mil-Dot (I had one before on my Saiga 308 but sold it like an idiot..) I did like it..

Weaver 40/44 4-12x44 with Ballistic x

Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x44 with Mil-Dot

or the Russian Copy FireField POSP 8x42 scope with 1000m rangefinder.. comes with the Russian type mount for $229

and if I go with option #1 which ballistics info can I plug in to get the Mil-Dot close??

and with option #2 where can I find an english manual for the rangefinder??

Anyone run this Firefield POSP??

Edited by YWHIC

Get an NPZ PO 4x24mm and grab an AK base from kalinka.

Swap the bases, pin the scope. It's the best you will do for the platform and clears the sights perfectly.

I use all rusky optics with my left eye, which gives you a very relaxed cheek weld. Not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it, but it's the most comfortable and repeatable for me.

I only have a crappy picture for now but...

I think this set up would make the OCD builders over at molot blush.

NgMla.jpg

Edited by Tombs
  • Like 1

I have sitting in my cart the newer Weaver Kaspa line 4-16SFx44 model for $158 and 10% off.. so $142.19 and free shipping.. has a side focus knob and ballistic plex..

Or the Vortex Diamond Back in 4-12x40 with BDC for $199-10%.. so $180 shipped..

Any suggestions on ring height?? I think I went medium for my old 4-12x40..

Edited by YWHIC

@ 20nickels..

I need some more X power for my eyes..

Id go with a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40. They can be had for $199 and have Leupolds lifetime warranty.

Wondering if the 1/2 MOA adjustments on that is a good or bad thing.. They make a 4-12x40 fro $250 and then 10% off right now.. hmm..

They also make a version with 3-9x40 and some new Rifleman Ballistics Reticle RBR has marks for 300-500 yards.. (zero at 200 for most loads).. $225 and then 10% off. hmmm #2..

Says weight is 12.6 oz.. I wonder if that's correct?? and the OAL is 12.3"

Edited by YWHIC

I didnt have any trouble with the 1/2 MOA adjustments, but I was using it on a 10/22, and before that, a 30-30. It was a great scope with crisp and clear sight picture. I didnt know they offered any newer reticles for them. The weight sounds about right as does the length. I have no regrets on pickin up mine. Thanks for the info on the newer ones as well. Its got me thinkin as well.

Also worth noting, is that when the dials are turned, there is no clicking sound. Not a problem for me. And both lenses where threaded for protectors.

I compared many things and came up with a Sightron S1 3-9x40 with Mil-Dot.. has great reviews (on 5 different sites).. finger turrents.. Covers included.. Japanese glass and lifetime warranty. $139 at Midway, OpticsPlanet, Natchezz, etc..

The most amazing part is SWFA just put them (today) up for $99.xx on clearance.. so I had to grab one.

I will do a complete review when I get it in my hands..

After comparing all the BDC type (Ballistic X, BDC, Hunter Plex) reticles nothing match the 54R ammo correctly.. Mil-Dots are accurate and I figured my 'drops' and 'come-ups' already for Mil-Dot..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My personal observation. Vepr X54, glass option .
First I got 3-9X42 POSP, great scope ,took it out few times great performance from the bench, preset for 7.62X54R ,if you are planning to shoot over 500 yards from the stationary position excellent choice .
IMG_0518_zps107457d9.jpg
IMG_0541_zpsbe983a66.jpg
I don’t see me shooting over 300 yards ,so I decided to try Rakurs A (no magnification) ,that I originally had on my Saiga 12,works great up to 100-150 yards(getting old, my eyes not as good as they use to be)
IMG_0606_zps00f5b009.jpg
IMG_0603_zps1ace7ba3.jpg
And I got myself PO3.5X21P,what can I say ,it just the best thing for me, the 3.5 magn. is good up to 500 yards. Cristal clear, compact if you can say it about Soviet/Russian scopes :)
I am keeping it on my Vepr for good

IMG_0868_zpsf7560673.jpg
IMG_0867_zps41b22619.jpg
IMG_0861_zps4775f066.jpg
more details about the scope here
http://russianoptics.net/PO3.5x21P.html

Edited by atakacorp
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
yeah I'd like to know as well. Just received my 54r vepr and trying to figure out my optics

Same deal here. Looking to spend 500ish and hopefully get at least 6x... Do POSP's even fit on vepr mounts without modification? The one on my .308 saiga doesn't.

yeah I'd like to know as well. Just received my 54r vepr and trying to figure out my optics

Same deal here. Looking to spend 500ish and hopefully get at least 6x... Do POSP's even fit on vepr mounts without modification? The one on my .308 saiga doesn't.

I would check this site was very useful for me

http://russianoptics.net/762.html

My personal observation. Vepr X54, glass option .

First I got 3-9X42 POSP, great scope ,took it out few times great performance from the bench, preset for 7.62X54R ,if you are planning to shoot over 500 yards from the stationary position excellent choice .

IMG_0518_zps107457d9.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsbe983a66.jpg

I don’t see me shooting over 300 yards ,so I decided to try Rakurs A (no magnification) ,that I originally had on my Saiga 12,works great up to 100-150 yards(getting old, my eyes not as good as they use to be)

IMG_0606_zps00f5b009.jpg

IMG_0603_zps1ace7ba3.jpg

And I got myself PO3.5X21P,what can I say ,it just the best thing for me, the 3.5 magn. is good up to 500 yards. Cristal clear, compact if you can say it about Soviet/Russian scopes smile.png

I am keeping it on my Vepr for good

IMG_0867_zps41b22619.jpg

IMG_0862_zps1cab2828.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsb69cc672.jpg

more details about the scope here

http://russianoptics.net/PO3.5x21P.html

Edited by atakacorp

I did a separate post back in October with the scope testing.. 148gr and 182gr..

I used a Caldwell 'Green' front bag to lean on..

@ 200 yards I did a 2" x 4" group..

200yardfinal.jpg

@ 100 yards I did a 4 shot 1 1/2" group.

100yard.jpg

Haven't been out since with it because of the ammo (trying to conserve) /work/weather.

Picture with scope mounted on the BP-02 (low centered)..

RifleAmmoCrate.jpg

Edited by YWHIC
I did a separate post back in October with the scope testing.. 148gr and 182gr..

I used a Caldwell 'Green' front bag to lean on..

@ 200 yards I did a 2" x 4" group..

200yardfinal.jpg

@ 100 yards I did a 4 shot 1 1/2" group.

100yard.jpg

Haven't been out since with it because of the ammo (trying to conserve) /work/weather.

Picture with scope mounted on the BP-02 (low centered)..

RifleAmmoCrate.jpg

good shooting man, do you have factory trigger ?

• 1 year later...

Well my BP-02 (low centered) came in from Kalinka Optics Warehouse.. took only 3 days.. (granted the bad recent press so YMMV)..

You can just see the sights thru the notch (as advertised).. waiting on the scope from SWFA (maybe tomorrow)

BP02VEPR.jpg

good day 
as you put the butt, you need an adapter 
I have a de Boar 308

good day 
as you put the butt, you need an adapter 
I have a de Boar 308