Would transferables be the first to go??

During one of my fantasy strolls on Gunbroker, I was looking at some transferable machine guns. I was thinking how badass it would be to be rich and purchase one of those bad boys, but then it hit me. Would transferables be some of the first weapons confiscated if our apocalyptic fears of an insane government banned firearms (kinda like what happened to the Brits)? I am thinking yes, and not only would they be the aggressively banned first, but I could see it being taken a step farther and those who legally own registered transferables would be subject to surprise raids of DHS or SWAT teams. Anyone else agree?

I ask because I am bored and am just thinking out loudbig_smile.gif

• Like 1

Nah, the more devious and likely plan would be to say, "Look how well total registration has worked for keeping machine guns out of the hands of criminals, unlike those nasty, theater- and representative-shooting ASSAULT WEAPONS that you can buy without any background check thanks to the GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE. Let's amend the GCA to reclassify semi-auto guns with detachable magazines as machine guns."

I'd be willing to bet (in the situation of "all guns being banned") they'd be the last to go based on one simple rule: Money makes the world go 'round. Their last battle for gun confiscation against the people who probably have all kinds of money to buy toys like that, probably have sufficient money to help sway their mind... I'm not sure if I got my point out in that short rambling...

• Like 1

Nah, the more devious and likely plan would be to say, "Look how well total registration has worked for keeping machine guns out of the hands of criminals, unlike those nasty, theater- and representative-shooting ASSAULT WEAPONS that you can buy without any background check thanks to the GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE. Let's amend the GCA to reclassify semi-auto guns with detachable magazines as machine guns."

Don't give them any ideas.

What "gun show loophole"? When I bought my SAA lower at the show back in August, the FFL had a cow because my ID had my PO Box on it. I had to leave the show, get a utility bill, and present that plus my vehicle registration and POI to prove physical address. Otherwise, no dice, no lower.

I think each registered owner would receive notice to turn in their "illegal firearms. And give account of those registered they may no longer own. When the government doesn't want the private citizen to own firearms, it just shows that they know their subjects are unhappy. They don't give a damn about criminals having them or they'd try to find a way to stop them and not us. It's kinda like how local law enforcement lets the meth labs stay in business (around here) so they can keep arresting the addicts and dealers. They bust the labs, then product goes away. This decreasing the arrests, fines and fees they get. I know that's not exactly the same. But... If a problem is created/made worse so they can do more of what they want, it's the same principle.

What "gun show loophole"? When I bought my SAA lower at the show back in August, the FFL had a cow because my ID had my PO Box on it. I had to leave the show, get a utility bill, and present that plus my vehicle registration and POI to prove physical address. Otherwise, no dice, no lower.

How the hell do you get an ID with your address listed as a PO box?? Must be easy to steal identities in Montana!!

How the hell do you get an ID with your address listed as a PO box?? Must be easy to steal identities in Montana!!

My last driver's license had my PO Box listed. Then along came the Real ID act. Not now. The state knew my home address all along, you can bet that.

Actually, a PO Box is a good buffer against id theft and other crime, too. Much ID theft follows theft of the US Mail. Much easier to steal mail from a home mailbox standing along the street unattended for hours every day, than from a locked PO Box.

Also, many house break ins follow the theft or loss of a wallet. Takes more patience to lay in wait by a PO Box for a mugging than to simply go to a street address listed on an id in a stolen wallet and do a Home Invasion.

You know, I was thinking about that. I have a few NFA items registered with ATF. If shit hits the fan they will probably have a team at every home that own NFA items under house arrest. Sometimes I think I made the wrong decession by getting into the NFA Hobby. Great way to trick us into registering our weapons.

Am I completely diluted in thinking that the NRA can save us with generous and ongoing campaign contributions? I hope that it can grease enough wheels to make anything 'ban related' a huge pain in the ass.

In that thinking, am I even close to correct? Can their money save our guns, by giving it to the 'correct' politicians, does it even work that way?

A giant washington gun lobby seems to be our only savior. I dont know if they really give a shit about our rights, or if they just pad their own pockets, both seem possible. I do think from reading different nra magazines, that the fear mongering must generate millions of dollars for their cause, so they want you to think a gun ban is immanent

But would a future gun ban increase the donations thus corrupting the purpose of what we think they 'should' do.

Anyone know more about this??

Am I completely diluted in thinking that the NRA can save us with generous and ongoing campaign contributions? I hope that it can grease enough wheels to make anything 'ban related' a huge pain in the ass.

In that thinking, am I even close to correct? Can their money save our guns, by giving it to the 'correct' politicians, does it even work that way?

A giant washington gun lobby seems to be our only savior. I dont know if they really give a shit about our rights, or if they just pad their own pockets, both seem possible. I do think from reading different nra magazines, that the fear mongering must generate millions of dollars for their cause, so they want you to think a gun ban is immanent

But would a future gun ban increase the donations thus corrupting the purpose of what we think they 'should' do.

Anyone know more about this??

I have not given but 20 bucks to the NRA for years now, and that was for a raffle. We do need the lobbyist in Washington to help fight those that are there spending money to take away our gun rights. It's a paradox, fighting corruption with corruption.

I just can't bring myself to send them money, I'd rather send to the in state groups. Maybe I'm just F'd up, but there are a lot of people making money off this whole issue. I guess they are slicker than I......

You know, I was thinking about that. I have a few NFA items registered with ATF. If shit hits the fan they will probably have a team at every home that own NFA items under house arrest. Sometimes I think I made the wrong decession by getting into the NFA Hobby. Great way to trick us into registering our weapons.

Yeah this is what I think would happen, though the others make great points too.

I'm a Life Member of the N.R.A,, The Texas State Rifle Association, The Second Amendment Foundation and proably a few others that don't come to mind. Bottom line I believe in donating to help protect what I value. I don't do a backgroud checks for everyone that I help out either. I figure if you are doing the right thing, for the right reason everything will come out in the wash. Some consider that foolish but I prefer to err on what I think are Biblical principles. No hating please, just my opinion.

As regards NFA items I think they will go after them last if at all. I don't own any but I control a trust that does. Can't take something that I don't own, IMO. Best thing is if we are vocal and proactive enough that we don't have that as an issue. Representatives of the people need to be reminded regularly that they are just that and changed as regularly as diapers.

• Like 1

A lot of people talk shit about the NRA but they are the only organization that can effectively fight for our 2A rights in DC. I don't understand the 'corruption' allegations... do people consider them corrupt because they accept industry funds for the PVF or ILA? That's just fucking retarded.

A lot of people talk shit about the NRA but they are the only organization that can effectively fight for our 2A rights in DC. I don't understand the 'corruption' allegations... do people consider them corrupt because they accept industry funds for the PVF or ILA? That's just fucking retarded.

I pay them 30 bucks a year in the hopes that my rights will be protected. I dont know that much about how they do their job, or how they 'buy' politicians, but I would give them much more money if I knew that they did just that with my money, buy politicians.

I hope they are as backhanded to the anti gun people as the anti's are to us. If they are corrupt in that way, Im all for it. It kinda sucks having to pad politicians pockets just to keep the right to bear arms, even though its the second amendment in our country's constitution.

I dont give a shit if they take donations from the muslim brotherhood, black panthers or charles kony. As long as my rights are protected.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

termite, allegeldy the way to shut em up is to do a lifetiem membership... stops all the snail mail spamming as well. allegedly. i havent tested that theory yet, as i would rather have a new gun.

and hte gun show loop hole, they mean person to person transactions, without ffl involvment.

as far as confiscations go, the duty is to just not get in the cattle car wehn the nice germans come to take you away....i dont think anything will happen, tho, until the cattle cars show up...

how much is lifetime with the foil hatters anon?

Maybe your right, this might just be the paranoia of the day. But what if its not?

These assholes that make our laws live in social bubbles. They make alot of money, and dont need to worry about a crackhead breaking their house, for the most part. So, many feel no need for a weapon to defend themselves, and neither do their golf buddies (maybe a shotgun for trap though, unloaded, in a safe). But they dont live in the real world where the guy two houses down is a convicted felon on drugs, scheming on getting money for his next fix. The only people they know like that are their excommunicated family members.

Thats the part thats scary to me, that the rich few influence rights for average many. And those rich few are completely fucking disconnected.

To your question, 75 cents for postage, and they send you instructions for a foil hat with a chin strap. Good deal.

I was only kind of kidding, but really how much is a lifetime with the NRA, and I think their tactics are just as shitty as government if they bug you as much as they do, my brother had a family friend that is a lawyer intervene the calls were so bad, at least once a day, sometimes 2. I would join if it wasn't for stories about harrassment.

I got my Life Membership in the NRA back in the '80's, and hardly ever get any "harassment". smile.png

I agree that they are THE best resource for protecting the 2nd Amendment in Washington. Whether you like them or not, that is what they do.

They also help provide legal services to innocent people who get screwed by local authorities. Those cases are rarely (if ever) reported on in the media, so a lot of people don't know how busy the NRA/ILA is.

I also agree that the politicians are completely disconnected any more from the "real world". If someone has ready access to professional, armed security agents, why should they give a damn about anyone else's access to guns?

Edited by Ronin38

I really can't wait to get out of my state. I can't even vote for people who won't agree to an AWB federally and the NRA won't do jack shit here cuz its such a liberal haven wet_eyes.gif

Who would have guessed that the Mitt Romney state was a liberal, gun hating place. He seems so republican now, so reformed into his new voter base. Who can believe that just a couple years ago he was passing state laws limiting the freedoms of the good folk of MA.
  • Like 1