Galil AR 5.56 in the making. . . .

Received my CNC Warrior freshly milled and heat treated Galil .223 receiver today. Now all I have to do is get it all boxed up with my complete parts kit, and shipped out to Tenngalil in Tennessee. Yippie-ki-friggen-aye!

Get ready for some custom galil envy. wink.png

CIMG5048.jpg

CIMG5049.jpg

CIMG5050.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I am still waiting on my 7.62x39 barrel so I can get my SAR built. I am still just thankfull Jeff got somone to make them. Do you know what your turn around time will be.

Jeff received my galil receiver and AR parts kit on the 29th of October. I spoke to him two days ago regarding his projected completion. . . and he replied possibly mid-December or the end of December. So essentially a two month build turn around.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a telephone call from Jeff Miller (a.k.a., Tenngalil) of Hillbilly Firearms this morning while I was out at the rifle range. My Galil AR will be completed and ready to ship this coming week.

HOW ABOUT THAT?! A professional gunsmith that completes an entire build within a 2 month period. 027.gif

• Like 2

Received a telephone call from Jeff this afternoon. The Galil is finished! (Hell, I just spoke to him yesterday about the rifle's status.)

Interesting thing: Jeff doesn't take credit card payments, so. . . gotta get a money order together and mail it to him. Soon as he receives it the Galil will be shipped with tracking info provided.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wooohoooooo!!!

My Galil AR arrived at my front doorstep today (. . . funny how the damned thing didn't require an adult signature; USPS simply left it sitting there for me to arrive home from work), and the rifle looks simply spectacular!!! (For a Galil anyway 021.gif Such are my sentiments and I'm sticking to 'em.)

There is no way to adequately give Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms commensurate accolades for what I see in this rifle's craftsmanship and attention to detail. Plus, Jeff completed the entire build and got it shipped back to me in less than two months!

So. . . now I gotta go pull out my digital camera and take a few photos of course. . . .

Wooohoooooo!!!

My Galil AR arrived at my front doorstep today (. . . funny how the damned thing didn't require an adult signature; USPS simply left it sitting there for me to arrive home from work), and the rifle looks simply spectacular!!! (For a Galil anyway 021.gif Such are my sentiments and I'm sticking to 'em.)

There is no way to adequately give Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms commensurate accolades for what I see in this rifle's craftsmanship and attention to detail. Plus, Jeff completed the entire build and got it shipped back to me in less than two months!

So. . . now I gotta go pull out my digital camera and take a few photos of course. . . .

I'm ready to see it. Glad you got it before, well you know.

Yes, the brainaics from UPS left a 5K MP5 on my porch! I told them pull that sh*t again and I'm calling the Sheriff and the ATF.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • Like 1

Okay. . . below are the photos, hot off my cheap digital camera. (And naturally, the pics don't do the rifle justice by a long-shot!) She has an 18" 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel, PWS Triad flash suppressor, night sights with fresh trit H3 inserts, an internal South African recoil buffer (mounted to the receiver's backplate), and an IMI Galil feed ramp.

One of Jeff's options is to have the appropriate Israeli Hebrew lettering engraved on the receiver, which I opted for. I specified that I wanted the "fire" position of the rifle's fire selector lever done in red (because I can't friggen read Hebrew! laugh.png)

[Naturally, the photos enlarge if you double-click your mouse on them.]

CIMG5140.jpg

CIMG5143.jpg

CIMG5147.jpg

CIMG5145.jpg

I shipped to Jeff with the parts kit, fresh trit night sights. The pictures below don't readily capture the radiance of the trit.

CIMG5152.jpg

CIMG5151.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

That is splendid, especially the wood. What does he charge for the lettering? I have an IMI Galil and looks just like yours but poly instead of the wood and it sure would look righteous with that lettering.

Thanks for the kind words Praetorian.

Not sure exactly what Jeff charges for the lettering (although I'm sure he once told me; went in one ear and out the other). . . but I'm sure it is extremely reasonable. Hell, he built the entire rifle for me for under $680 (i.e., letter engraving, cerakote paint, etc., etc.).

If anyone is interested, below is what the South African R4 Galil Buffer looks like. It can be rotated once one side is worn, e.g., the top portion that the bolt carrier comes into contact with (interesting, no?), although I doubt my 5.56 Galil will wear it down any year soon

The second photo has the buffer installed within the receiver's backplate (not my rifle).

DSC00375.jpg

pix344895640.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • 2 weeks later...

I completed a little project today. . . installed a foam rubber tube around my Galil's rear stock top tube.

NOTE: My Galil's rear stock top tube has a hard plastic sheathing tube around it. Prior to receiving my Galil from the builder Jeff Miller, I had mistakenly believed the rear stock's top tube was identical to the bottom tube (e.g., cerakoted aluminum alloy). I convey this because wrapping the top tube with some other material wasn't necessary; it is quite comfortable against the cheek when firing the rifle as is. Anyway. . .

Plan "A" was to knock-out the vertical roll pin that holds the two stock tubes in place at the rear stock's hinge. . . but after placing my rifle in a bench vise and taking a few whacks at the roll pin with an appropriate sized punch and hammer. . . that pin just seemed to NOT want to move. So I opted for a safer yet not as 'clean' looking option; plan "B" which was to split the foam tubing and affix it in place with zip ties (something Jeff Miller recommended to me).

The foam tubing used was 3/4" inner diameter, with a thickness of approximately 0.195". I purchased two pieces of tubing, both 15" long, in the event I screwed-up during the first attempt. The below photos pretty much depicts the stages of this quick project, and the results.

CIMG5159.jpg

CIMG5163.jpg

CIMG5165.jpg

CIMG5167.jpg

CIMG5166.jpg

Personally, I genuinely like and prefer the feel of the foam rubber on my check when I mount the rifle to my shoulder. . . and the slightly wider diameter of the top tube feels much more comfortable with this mod.

I'm in the process of procuring several different examples of velcro strapping which I will replace the plastic zip-ties with. I believe the velcro straps will make the rear stock much more presentable.

~Gary

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

JARD AK47 Trigger System installed in the Galil AR

The other week I received a second JARD Inc. AK47 Trigger Upgrade System for installation in my Galil. I've been so pleased with the JARD FCG's performance in my Saiga IZ-240 Rifle, that it seemed logical to give the FCG a go in my Galil.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/82322-my-americanized-saiga-545x39mm-harpoon-rifle/?p=829744

This past weekend I took my Galil AR out to the firing range both on Saturday and Sunday. During Saturday, I shot the Galil with the builder's installed TAPCO G2 double-hook FCG just to sight in the rifle's iron sights and to see how the FCG performed. I fired 100 rounds of 55gr. without a hiccup. . . and was mildly impressed with just how far the spent brass was ejected out of the Galil during cycling (often twice as far as with my Saiga IZ-240). Additionally, I noticed with the TAPCO FCG I was receiving some mild "trigger slap," something that I personally find a bit annoying especially if I'm firing 200 to 300 or more rounds during a shooting session.

After getting the rifle home on Saturday, I set about removing the TAPCO FCG and installing the JARD FCG. Sunday morning saw me back out at the firing range with the newly installed FCG and putting the Galil through its paces. Fortunately for me, I exercised caution and common sense by insuring that the first several magazines I loaded into the Galil only had two rounds loaded into them.

Well. . . the damned thing only wanted to slam-fire; shoot full-auto. Clearly the trigger's disconnect lever was not engaging the hammer as it should. I field-stripped the Galil a dozen times out at the firing range, adjusting and re-adjusting the disconnect lever's adjustment screw. . . but all I could get out of her was either the rifle would shoot one round and the trigger not reset for a second pull, or the rifle would continually slam-fire.

Yesterday I telephoned and spoke with the Galil's builder (Mr. Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms) as well as a Technician from JARD Inc. After much discussion from both gentlemen (although Jeff Miller was/is not familiar with the JARD Trigger System, he has installed several Red Star Arms trigger systems in Galils that he has built). . . I was readily able to determine just what I had done incorrectly during my JARD FCG's install. It turns out I had screwed in one of the three adjustable set screws on the trigger too deep, and that set screw was preventing the trigger from teetering backward far enough to allow the trigger's disconnect lever from appropriately engaging the hammer when the rifle's bolt cycled during firing. So, just a few revolution twists of this set screw; backing it out of the trigger approximately a 1/16th of an inch, and the trigger functioned perfectly.

I won't know for sure that I've fixed the issue until I get back out to the firing range this coming weekend, but I feel highly confident I've corrected the trigger's slam-fire issue.

In closing I wish to convey that I really, really like the JARD AK47 Trigger System. Although it requires multiple adjustments to get the FCG set correctly, once done IMO the shooter reaps the rewards of a trigger that signficantly reduces the trigger creap experienced with the TAPCO FCG, while also obtaining what I perceive to be a smoother and possibly lighter trigger pull.

~Gary

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

FWIW to anyone, below are photos of the JARD FCG installed in my Galil AR:

NOTE: It is difficult to see in the first and second photo below, but I've replaced the interior pivot cross-axis pins' retaining E-clips (or whatever they are called) with an AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE "UNIVERSAL" purchased from Carolina Shooters Supplies. It works perfectly, and will allow me easier FCG removal in the future when I want to thoroughly clean the receiver's interior.

CIMG5186.jpg

CIMG5189.jpg

CIMG5195.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got'r done this weekend. Cut the slot in the bottom of my Galil's receiver and installed the manual BHO. It works perfectly, just as the one in my Saiga IZ-240 rifle (AK-74). I initially thought I would have to remove a little wood on the pistol grip to accommodate the BHO tab, but such wasn't needed. I did have to remove some metal from the top of the BHO due to the thickness of the Galil receiver's CNC machined internal rails, in order for the catch to extend high enough to appropriately mate with the bottom of the bolt assembly. Here are a few photos.

CIMG5248_zps830b827a.jpg

CIMG5250_zps7ecfc7c3.jpg

CIMG5252_zps5cc5c100.jpg

CIMG5267_zpsac8490e0.jpg

CIMG5266_zpse2f4c0f8.jpg

Thanks so very much Cobra 76 two for the BHO device. It works perfectly!

027.gif

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2
CIMG5266_zpse2f4c0f8.jpg

Thanks so very much Cobra 76 two for the BHO device. It works perfectly!

027.gif

That's a cool toy you had built.

The Hebrew letters say ר.ס. גליל Assault Rifle Galil (I'm not sure what the תת letters stand for but I'll ask my cousin who was an ordnance officer in the IDF and his three sons are pilots.) The next line 5.56ממ mm and the last has the תצ Military Industries initials.

The safety letters are safe and auto.

Edited by uzitiger
  • Like 1
That's a cool toy you had built.

The Hebrew letters say ר.ס. גליל Assault Rifle Galil (I'm not sure what the תת letters stand for but I'll ask my cousin who was an ordnance officer in the IDF and his three sons are pilots.) The next line 5.56ממ mm and the last has the תצ Military Industries initials.

The safety letters are safe and auto.

Thank you uzitiger, I appreciate the direct translation. What you've conveyed is essentially what the rifle's builder, Jeff Miller, informed me of regarding the Hebrew script. But it is always good to hear it from someone else; receive verification from a separate source. wink.png

Aaand another gorgeous rifle for Gary!

Damn you, sir!

Yea. . . it sucks to be me. Hey, nothing "ventured", nothing gained, right? 000.gif

Wait till you see my Springfield Armory FAL once I've got the custom wood installed on her, and a few other things added. She'll most definitely be "the princess of the ball." wink.png