Galil AR 5.56 in the making. . . .

I've been thinking about sending my Galil AR back to Jeff Miller (Hillbilly Firearms) to have a couple of upgrades performed. I'm thinking I'd like to have the option of scoping her, and Jeff has a surplus milled picatinny railed gas tube sitting around that he is willing to sell to me (it requires fitting to my rifle). I figure if I have to go through the trouble of shipping my rifle back to him, I might as well have a better barrel installed. Jeff can order a Douglas blank in either chrome moly or stainless (I'm thinking I'd go stainless) 20.5 inches in length, specifically contoured to improve barrel harmonics (i.e., in this case the barrel would be thicker in diameter along certain portions). Jeff refers to it as his "AT&T" barrel. . . which when he first mentioned this, I completely drew a blank. Then he explained, "You know. . . 'Reach out and touch some one' accuracy".

I could have had my Galil AR initially built with this barrel. . . but at the time I wanted it to be more of a knock-around battle rifle; as close as practical to the original IWI Galil ARs (yea. . . that's somewhat of an oxymoronic statement since I replaced the polymer furniture on her with nice wood furniture laugh.png).

Jeff additionally mentioned that if I wanted, I could have this barrel chambered for 5.45x39mm, which would involve swapping the Galil's bolt head and also slightly modifying the receiver to accept AK74 magazines. Now THAT set my mind a-buzzing! I'm at a decision crossroads and I genuinely have no idea which way to turn. Do I stay with a 5.56 Galil? Or, do I opt for the somewhat unique 5.45 chambering? On the one hand, 5.45x39 ammo remains significantly cheaper than 5.56 NATO. . . but on the other hand the initial purpose and personal motivation for this Galil was to obtain a battle rifle that was chambered for standard American ammunition in the event of a SHTF scenario.

Moreover, I don't know whether shooting 7n6 surplus ammo out of a semi-match grade 20.5 inch barrel would provide greater accuracy, than firing 5.56 NATO out of an identical barrel? Any of you have ideas about that??? Jeff is of the opinion that 7n6 would be better.

I'm friggen confused. blink.png

Hey, any suggestions or recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~Gary

I've been thinking about sending my Galil AR back to Jeff Miller (Hillbilly Firearms) to have a couple of upgrades performed. I'm thinking I'd like to have the option of scoping her, and Jeff has a surplus milled picatinny railed gas tube sitting around that he is willing to sell to me (it requires fitting to my rifle). I figure if I have to go through the trouble of shipping my rifle back to him, I might as well have a better barrel installed. Jeff can order a Douglas blank in either chrome moly or stainless (I'm thinking I'd go stainless) 20.5 inches in length, specifically contoured to improve barrel harmonics (i.e., in this case the barrel would be thicker in diameter along certain portions). Jeff refers to it as his "AT&T" barrel. . . which when he first mentioned this, I completely drew a blank. Then he explained, "You know. . . 'Reach out and touch some one' accuracy".

I could have had my Galil AR initially built with this barrel. . . but at the time I wanted it to be more of a knock-around battle rifle; as close as practical to the original IWI Galil ARs (yea. . . that's somewhat of an oxymoronic statement since I replaced the polymer furniture on her with nice wood furniture laugh.png).

Jeff additionally mentioned that if I wanted, I could have this barrel chambered for 5.45x39mm, which would involve swapping the Galil's bolt head and also slightly modifying the receiver to accept AK74 magazines. Now THAT set my mind a-buzzing! I'm at a decision crossroads and I genuinely have no idea which way to turn. Do I stay with a 5.56 Galil? Or, do I opt for the somewhat unique 5.45 chambering? On the one hand, 5.45x39 ammo remains significantly cheaper than 5.56 NATO. . . but on the other hand the initial purpose and personal motivation for this Galil was to obtain a battle rifle that was chambered for standard American ammunition in the event of a SHTF scenario.

Moreover, I don't know whether shooting 7n6 surplus ammo out of a semi-match grade 20.5 inch barrel would provide greater accuracy, than firing 5.56 NATO out of an identical barrel? Any of you have ideas about that??? Jeff is of the opinion that 7n6 would be better.

Hey, any suggestions or recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~Gary

I believe I mentioned that "something else ALWAYS comes along". :)

I'd keep it in 5.56 and if you don't have something in 5.45 get one. Additionally, I have seen AK74's made to look like Galil's and that might be a less expensive option but will still get your IMI a cheaper shooting brother.

• Like 1

5.45 Ammo is pretty cheap. I am still hopeful that more American companies jump on the 5.45 band wagon. For the shit hits the fan scenario, well, everyone and they sister loves the AR so there will always be a plethora of parts and ammo. I am starting to see a lot more of it in stores at reasonable prices. I would probably go 5.56. Just my two cents. I am trying to keep it simple myself. 7.62x39, .45, 12ga, and sadly .380 for the misses. Don't get me wrong, if I could find an affordable Fn/Fal I would get one right quick and in a hurry.

5.45 Ammo is pretty cheap. I am still hopeful that more American companies jump on the 5.45 band wagon. For the shit hits the fan scenario, well, everyone and they sister loves the AR so there will always be a plethora of parts and ammo. I am starting to see a lot more of it in stores at reasonable prices. I would probably go 5.56. Just my two cents. I am trying to keep it simple myself. 7.62x39, .45, 12ga, and sadly .380 for the misses. Don't get me wrong, if I could find an affordable Fn/Fal I would get one right quick and in a hurry.

A few back I picked up a S&W AR in 5.45 and it is excellent. Came with a stronger hammer spring for corrosive primers. I know there were some specimens in this platform that got 5.56 barrels and had key holing problems but mine does have the proper barrel. It actually (5.45) works very well in an AR.

~Gary

I believe I mentioned that "something else ALWAYS comes along". smile.png

I'd keep it in 5.56 and if you don't have something in 5.45 get one. Additionally, I have seen AK74's made to look like Galil's and that might be a less expensive option but will still get your IMI a cheaper shooting brother.

Yes Pratorian I do having something in 5.45x39. The below custom Saiga IZ-240 (which happens to shoot just a wee-bit better than my 5.56 Galil). wink.png

CIMG5112-1.jpg

CIMG5094.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

I've reached my decision regarding whether to stick with the 5.56 chambering or go with the 5.45x39. . . with assistance from the wifey. Following a second telephone conversation with Jeff Miller during Friday afternoon, I had forgotten about the fact that my current Galil AR has "5.56" engraved on its receiver. So. . . going with a 5.45 chambering in this rifle would be kinda dumb (sure, I could have that engraving milled-out, but such would degrade the value and appearance of the firearm). Additionally, the more Jeff and I discussed the alterations to the existing Galil, the more he tried to troop lead me to the decision of starting over fresh, with a completely new Galil receiver and parts kit. Well, that's where assistance from "the wifey" came into play. I had made a promise to her of "no more firearms" after obtaining the green light from her regarding the Dakota Tactical D34 9mm Carbine, so. . . a new Galil build in 5.45x39 just isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. Enough said.

I'll be going with a 20.5" SS Douglas barrel with heavy contour and 1:9 twist, since I know I won't be shooting anything heavier out of her than 62 grain. Jeff is going to cut a .223 Wylde chamber in the barrel, and further cut/slope the back of the barrel's chamber face to provide for cleaner cartridge feeding; deminish the likelihood of the bullet being dinged or scratched during feeding. He also wants to swap the OEM Galil bolt head for a Saiga 5.56 bolt head (something to do with the Saiga head being better than the Galil for these purposes).

This Galil rifle will be all about squeezing as much "accuracy" out of the format, as likely possible. I'm thinking I will redub the rifle, "The AR Slayer". haha.gif

Edited by Gary
  • 1 month later...

. . . I'm thinking I will redub the rifle, "The AR Slayer". haha.gif

What? The several of you AR guys didn't find that funny????

I shipped the Galil off to Jeff Miller a couple of days ago for the "upgrades." Hope to receive her back in or around four weeks time.

Upon speaking to Jeff last week, I learned what his plans are regarding the Galil's bolt head, since use of a Saiga 5.56x45/.223 bolt head is out of the equation due to non-availability. Jeff is going to swap-out the Galil's OEM 5.56 bolt head for a Saiga 5.45x39mm bolt head, which he will be modding so that the 5.56x45 cartridge will seat into the bolt's face snuggly. He will also be swapping the Galil's bolt carrier with a Russian 5.45 bolt carrier. . . although I did specify to him that I wanted to be able to use the OEM bolt carrier with its upswept charging handle whenever I choose. . . so he is going to press-fit and weld a steel sleeve into the Galil bolt carrier so that the thinner shafted 5.45x39 bolt head will appropriately function in the carrier (ahhhh. . . confused yet?).

With the picatinny railed gas tube Jeff will be mounting to the rifle so that I can configure it as a "scout rifle", I've decided to go with a Burris 3-12x32 Handgun Scope with quick detach rings. Due to the scope's overall length, when mounted to the gas tube I will not be able to appropriately access the Galil's upswept vertical bolt charging handle with my left hand (as a right-handed shooter). . . so the Russian bolt carrier with its standard AK charging handle will prove most useful. I'm also swapping the Galil's receiver top cover (which has the welded-on rear sight aperture) for a Bulgarian AK47 top cover. That way I will be able to mount the scope as low as possible, without having to deal with the rear sight obscuring my aiming line of sight. I've procured a new-old-stock Valmet ejection port buffer to mount to the AK top cover to prevent the 5.56 spent brass from getting dinged and dented to hell, as is typical of a Galil rifle. I also have a TROMIX extended bolt knob to affix to the AK carrier's bolt handle.

Lastly, the Galil's bayonet mount / bottom of the Galil gas/front sight block will be modified; a short piece of picatinny rail will be welded-on to provide for a bipod mount. With the thicker, heavier Douglas SS barrel's profile, Jeff believes mounting a bipod to the bottom of the rifle's gas block will not affect the rifle's POI consistency. We shall see. wink.png I'll be using a GG&G XDS Heavy Duty Bipod with this rifle.

Once the Galil AR rifle comes back to me, I'll take a few photos of the changes and mods and post them here.

~Gary

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1