Comment on the Vepr 12 selector/safety lever?

don't care for it much....very hard to operate as it's designed. just going to use it the old way.

if they will work in a standard ak or vepr, I would be willing to take it off your hands, I have an extra safety to swap or will buy it. Will the vepr 12 safeties work in stadnard ak?

don't care for it much....very hard to operate as it's designed. just going to use it the old way.

if they will work in a standard ak or vepr, I would be willing to take it off your hands, I have an extra safety to swap or will buy it. Will the vepr 12 safeties work in stadnard ak?

appreciate the interest but by me referring the "old way" was meant as in using the the lever as it has always been used....just push it up and down, ignore the thumb extension. don't know if these will work on regular ak's being that the vepr's have the thicker receivers. i do have a 7.62 vepr that could be a possible candidate tho. 032.gif i do agree with dad2142dad.....that if the receiver had the safety indent it would be easier to operate.

you already said my thoughts. A Krebs style tab is more to my tastes.

I agree but i won't have any first hand experience with the Vepr until next week.

It just doesnt seem like it's all that easy to use, like the Krebs style is.

you already said my thoughts. A Krebs style tab is more to my tastes.

I agree but i won't have any first hand experience with the Vepr until next week.

It just doesnt seem like it's all that easy to use, like the Krebs style is.

Ok first pic is safety On

DSC01887.jpg

Second pick is after selecting fire with my knuckle

DSC01888.jpg

To put it back on safe just push it back up with fore finger. It is getting easier to manipulate, the more movement it gets. I keep just cycling it while reading the board, watching TV etc......

• Like 3

Thanks for the pics Dad. Do you have to relieve your, grip to bring it back to safe?

Do you have an S12 sporter stock mounted to that thing?

No grip stays put, push up with the fore finger. Takes a little practice.

Yes I found another use for the old sporter stock I had left, not enough for another table, yet

OK, this is where im confused...push up on the tab, or push up like a normal AK safety? Up on the tab would be fire.

I'm gonna make a Youtube video of the Krebs and Vepr style when the V12 gets here.

Edit; BTW, i have 3 or 4 sporter stocks i'll donate to your table cause...LMK.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

Aren't you supposed to use your thumb to manipulate the lever? I dont have mine yet, but at first glance thats what I thought.

If you shoot left, it's perfect for thumb manipulation. If you shoot righty, you will need to remove your hand from the fire position and have to have your other hand supporting the firearm to use your thumb to manipulate the safety on these first US Veprs.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have the VEPR.

But I wonder why the VEPRs with the modern cross bolt safeties, like the ones PapaZ has in the videos were not imported - and I hope to have those brought to our shores.

The AK Safety is pure sh*t, no matter how much you 'Enhance' it.

• Like 1

Aren't you supposed to use your thumb to manipulate the lever? I dont have mine yet, but at first glance thats what I thought.

I just push up on it with my knuckle of my trigger finger to take it off of safety.

Yep there is no reason to release the grip

I really would like a safety that does not generate the Kalashnikov arc through the finish. It is just ugly. It offends my esthetic sensibilities.

The easiest way to solve that....

Buy an MKA1919 lol but then you might not like the way the aftermarket stocks mount up.

We'll see how well the selector works out. But i really like the Krebs style selector tab position. Might end up doing something similar to the V12.

Can you get the Krebs style safety with the left side lever??

Can you elaborate more?

Up on the forward end for safety, up on the tab for fire

OK. Thats what i thought. The wording got a little crossed up.

LMK if you want those butt stocks, I'd be happy to giv'em to ya.

Edited by Mullet Man

I really would like a safety that does not generate the Kalashnikov arc through the finish. It is just ugly. It offends my esthetic sensibilities.

There are Veprs with modern cross bolt style saftey switch like most western style shotguns.. to disengage the trigger finger is placed on the receiver right above the trigger and a small switch is pushed from a bump to flush on that side, which makes it protrude on the other side. To engage the safety the button is pushed on the other side of the receiver to reset it. Papa has videos of it.

Unfortunately, those Veprs were not imported so we have the Old School AK safeties. Hopefully they import 1k more with the feature sets we see Papa displaying... Including the folding stock, OMG the folding stock with the buffer tube adapter. yes. yes.

• 2 weeks later...

My feeling so far is i am definitely liking the Krebs type selector better then the Vepr.

The Vepr safety bites into my hand and is just not as ergonomic as using your index finger extended out to drop the Krebs style into fire position.

Edited by Mullet Man

Mine was very tight from the factory and would hang up on the top of the receiver. I ended up grabbing the end of the selector and pulled it away from the receiver. Now it is very easy to operate with just the knuckle of my trigger finger.,

• Like 1

Mine was very tight from the factory and would hang up on the top of the receiver. I ended up grabbing the end of the selector and pulled it away from the receiver. Now it is very easy to operate with just the knuckle of my trigger finger.,

This!!

Pop the dust cover open, lift the lever past, barely bend it. Went from being difficult to operate and hating it, to being smooth as butter, and loving how easy it is to operate without breaking my grip.

This!!

Pop the dust cover open, lift the lever past, barely bend it. Went from being difficult to operate and hating it, to being smooth as butter, and loving how easy it is to operate without breaking my grip.

Sure, thats how you do it. I just don't like the actuation compared to Krebs. I have a Krebs selector on order, to replace it.