What to use as gun lube if desperate?

Step 1: Find a car

Step 2: Remove said car's oil pan screw

Step 3: Profit

Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 if you are running low.

As some have said above, all that fancy gun oil is good and all but motor oil was made for moving parts. Just stock up on motor oil. As to which type of brand to use, many people have their opinions to which is the best.

^Truth

Tons of people use motor oil exclusively, as lube in their guns. No shit.

Yep.. My current preferred gun lube oil is Delo 400 15w-40, or whatever diesel oil I have on hand. It sticks to parts much better than most thin gun oils. I've also used gear oil in th past, but as some of you know, that stuff smells awful.

Back to the OP.:

Every gas powered tool or vehicle is a source of gun oil and cleaner. Engine oil is made to dissolve products of combustion, and even nasty black drain oil can be strained thru a piece of cloth and used as gun lube. ATF is a poor choice, it has no surfactants to keep acids and carbon in suspension, but it does beat jism juice all to hell! Old gas gets gummy and is useless as a motor fuel, but again if strained thru cloth it makes an excellent gun cleaner. One old lawn mower will keep an AK running for years!

If you were in the woods use slurm. That's rite slurm, it's 3 parts slugs-1 part worms. Mix them by chewing for 30 seconds and store in a waterproof container. This stuff was used for centuries by indians, to keep their S12s running flawlessly.

• Like 1

WD-40 will evaporate in a day or two. It may help loosen things up initially and prevent rust, not much else.

Like I said, it was originally developed to displace water and now they market it as a do-all lubricant and rust preventer. Pam does the same thing on my BBQ grill but probably isn't a great gun lube.

Some of these posts made me LOL! But yeah, I'll be more specific. In my mind when I wrote up the question, I wasn't differentiating between a highly viscous grease as to an oil, I was just thinking about something that would keep the gun working.

A lot of these are good, but mainly focus on man made stuff. The scenario I am most interested in is in a situation where you don't have access to anything man made viscous oils/grease. Imagine being lost in the forest for a very extended period of time or something like that.

Animal fat. Ever skin a fat ass coon and try to wash that shit off your hands? Work well untill a bear or somethin smells it.

Nope, never skinned or cleaned an animal besides fish!

Not sure how long before it would get rancid or sticky but I think there has to be a way to render it down to a oil, and the AK platform will run fine with it and be protected from rust. Not sure about the barrel and gas ports though. Has to be info on it on some survival site somewhere.As far as high heat or any of that stuff, if I'm scrounging for gun lube, I'm also hiding and a gunfight is'nt on my list of things to do.I want to keep the gun in good condition.If it was I would run the gun dry. I have cleaned enough animals to know washing the fat off is a pain. Never cut up pork or anything like it to make sausage and had greasy paws huh? Edited by rnemhrd

wonder if my neighbors chiauau could be rendered for gun lube

fucking thing sounds like a squeaky toy amplified by a tornado siren pierces the ears and makes me want to drop kick it.

I would help. I I edited the rest not to offend dog lovers.I would rather fight off a Pitbull than pet one of those fuckers.

I think we've come to realize that AKs are not affected by running dry, and are not picky when it comes to lube. Like stated before, gun lubes are a joke, there are plenty of machines that work harder, faster and longer than firearms (engines, transmissions, rear differentials, generators) Any lubericant from these machines should be suffecient. If you find yourself stranded in the post-apocalyptic world do what Woody Harrelson did in Zombieland, go find yourself some twinkies and jam them into the action of your firearm.. Thats why he wanted them right?

• Like 1