OK, so my problem is this: I have two converted Saiga's, a .308 and a 12. I did not do the conversions personally ... I noticed recently that my stocks have some wobble to them after firing ... usually just tighten up the screws. Then when I was looking at it I realized to try and figure out why it kept happening I realized there was no rear tang ... well, lo and behold I watched a conversion video on-line and realized that the rear lower tang is attached to the stock trigger guard. WTF? What is the fix for this? Try to find a machinist to spot weld that piece back on? Or something simpler that I am overlooking? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated. The wobble is driving me nuts.

That bottom tang is part of the plate that covers the trigger hole, when people do the conversion, they remove the plate and bye bye goes the bottom tang. I had the same issue, i just used some locktite and tightened down pretty good and it was good. Regular ak stocks do not have a cutout and hole for the screw on the bottom of the stock.

• Like 1

so what is the fix to secure the new stock?

what I would do is take the pistol grip off, there should be a hole on the bottom of the receiver, put a screw through it into the buttstock, then install the pistol grip.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

My NATO length Kvar stock has no wobble with the 2 screws in the rear trunnion holding it in. Have you been using both screw holes in the trunnion?

Can you explain what you mean? I'm not sure I have two screw holes. Pictures might help.

As YWHIC said, there is a screw on the tang, and one inside the receiver under the recoil spring. Make sure both are secured tightly. Here is a pic of the receiver without anything in it :

37.jpg

As you can see, there is a screw in the tang, and one right where the spring slides into on the rear trunnion. Hope that helps

Some manufacturers will not pre-drill holes. I'd imagine it is due to the variances some AKs have and not wanting to sell someone a stock that wont secure. When I converted my Norinco, the Timbersmith Tapco stock didn't have drilled out holes. I marked them according to the positions in my receiver and drilled them just slightly rear of center to add a little forward pressure as they screwed in. Stock doesn't move a micron. Hope it's all good for you from here on out