My gas port situation is a mess

Alright, so I scoured the forums and used the search function and can't really figure out how to fix my problem. First let me explain, I understand how to open up the ports, but I could not find anything on how to unblock ports that are obscured by the gas block (except the "D-mod", which many knowledgeable people said NOT to do). I tried taking pictures of my situation but my camera is infuriatingly crappy.

So, the first picture is the best I could get, all you can see is one port. There are in fact, 4 ports, but one is nearly fully blocked, one is half blocked, and one is BARELY clear. The second is a little MS-paint diagram of what the situation actually is.

The best idea I could come up with to fix this problem is similar to the "D-mod", except not as extreme. Would it be a horrible idea to evenly file the edges out slightly until the ports are finally not blocked? I am weary of doing any modifications to this area, but I don't see any other solution. I mean, if I drill the holes bigger they will still always be obstructed. I suppose I could also compensate for the lack of gas by drilling the one completely unblocked port a few sizes bigger, but that seems like a mediocre solution, and I don't like the idea of mismatched port sizes.

The weirdest part is that the gun doesn't function as bad as you'd think for two obscured ports. 7 1/2 Winchester super target works 90% of the time on setting 2. I get about 1 failure every 20 shots. No problems with buck or slugs either. Any 1 ounce, #8 birdshot, and many other brands of 7 1/2 fail 100% of the time though.

I'm just getting tired of all the bullshit. I hate going on forums and asking these questions but I honestly couldn't find a solution and I spent 3 days reading page after page, topic after topic. I'd really appreciate any help before I just grab a file and a drill and wing it.

post-44820-0-94985800-1351198490_thumb.jpg

post-44820-0-33190800-1351198545.png

post-44820-0-12183000-1351198629.png

Edited by bitters

Your solution to file out the hole in the gas block to fix the obstructed gas holes is just fine.

The "D-mod" is the correct solution (though it need not be a "D" shape).

That's a manufacturing problem that needs to be fixed.

have you considered trying the adjustable V plug or autoplug before drilling your ports open?

The V plug (any gas plug) will never fix obstructed gas ports.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

you will need to fix the gas holes and gas block, profile the trigger and carrier group and do spring and gas puck mods to shoot cheap ammo....Keep reading it's a fun and rewarding project.

I think you forgot to add throwing the kitchen sink at it....

It shouldnt take all that to shoot cheap ammo.

Have you removed your gas block to actually see if they blocked. When you take off the gas block, you will notice an area of paint overspray on top of the barrel where the opening was situated. If all your ports are within that "overspray" area then they are not obstructed. If thats the case, you might just have to open up the ports to the correct size. Its hard to see whats going on until you take that gas block off.

you will need to fix the gas holes and gas block, profile the trigger and carrier group and do spring and gas puck mods to shoot cheap ammo....Keep reading it's a fun and rewarding project.

You might have to enlarge the opening in the gas block and probably open up your gas ports, along with the proper hammer reprofile, but you do NOT need to change to a lightweight spring or change your puck. For me, adding a lighter spring is just adding a bandaid to gunshot wound. Do it right and there is no need to run gimmicks to get your weapon to shoot bulk pack birdshot.

• Like 1

I think you forgot to add throwing the kitchen sink at it....

It shouldnt take all that to shoot cheap ammo.

Agreed. Polish, gas ports (or gas hole as you may), and your D mod if necessary. Then cheap ammo. That should be it. As King notes, no kitchen sink if not necessary.

Yeah, I do not intend to mess with plugs or springs. My problem is with the gas system so I will start there. I may polish the gun too, but I would send it into a pro from around these forums. I've never used a dremel in my life, so my Saiga is a bad place to start, haha.

@ sapper1371usmc: I have not taken the gas block off yet, but have used a mirror to look around and felt around with a dental pick. I will follow your advice though and make triple sure they are in fact blocked.

do you have a cheap dental mirror, you could look first, or use a pick, probe or piece of wire, no use messing with it if its not a problem. I haven't heard of a 4 hole barrel being under gassed

your gun is cycling target loads, how many rounds are through it? is it new? If so just breaking it in with heavy loads or polishing it will fix your problem. You can always upgrade the piston and plug too. That is a good idea.

do you have a cheap dental mirror, you could look first, or use a pick, probe or piece of wire, no use messing with it if its not a problem. I haven't heard of a 4 hole barrel being under gassed

your gun is cycling target loads, how many rounds are through it? is it new? If so just breaking it in with heavy loads or polishing it will fix your problem. You can always upgrade the piston and plug too. That is a good idea.

Alright I rechecked it with a mirror on a paper clip and the front one is about 1/3 blocked, and the other one is just barely blocked. I poked another paper clip through the ports and they are cleared. So I'm not really sure if it's worth filing, but there is some minor blockage. I will remove the block, make sure the ports are the correct size and then work from there. The Saiga is fairly new but I've put around 350 rounds through it, mainly Remington express long range and Winchester super target. Under 50 slugs and buck.

What I'm not sure about is how to go about the filing if I do. Should I keep the hole perfectly round, or could I just file out the sides where there is blockage?

Is this gun converted?

Not yet, which is what I'm trying to work the kinks out for. However, I bought it dressed up in Tapco T6 intrafuse set-up. Speaking of which... I see you have some for sale, can the stock be used in conversions?

Is this gun converted?

Not yet, which is what I'm trying to work the kinks out for. However, I bought it dressed up in Tapco T6 intrafuse set-up. Speaking of which... I see you have some for sale, can the stock be used in conversions?

You can but with all the options out there you will end up doing something else.

I am never going to sell those stocks,lol. That is one of those purchases you look back on......slowly walk into the bathroom........look in the mirror.........slap yourself and say"YOU IDIOT"!!!!

• Like 1

Is this gun converted?

You can but with all the options out there you will end up doing something else.

I am never going to sell those stocks,lol. That is one of those purchases you look back on......slowly walk into the bathroom........look in the mirror.........slap yourself and say"YOU IDIOT"!!!!

Hahaha, yeah, I feel you man. You don't even wanna know what I paid for this, and I still have to do all the gas/conversion work. Oh well, live and learn. I'm sure down the road I'll change out the stock, hand guard, etc. But so far Tapco hasn't been treating me so bad.

@ Jetmech: Sorry, can you be more specific about the 11/32 bit? Just ream out the hole where the ports are to make more room and file it smooth?

Edited by bitters

Mine was exactly like yours, I did the "D" port. I have a cheepo Harbor Freight press I use...... I did put a little lube on the parts in case I needed to do it again (didn't). Gun is for competition use...... I did do all the other goodies..... used the DPH 6 setting plug, running 1200 fps shot,slugs,buck just fine. Use a small piece of 1/2" or so angle and put a scribe mark down the center of the barrel to help center the gas block when you refit it.

Mine was exactly like yours, I did the "D" port. I have a cheepo Harbor Freight press I use...... I did put a little lube on the parts in case I needed to do it again (didn't). Gun is for competition use...... I did do all the other goodies..... used the DPH 6 setting plug, running 1200 fps shot,slugs,buck just fine. Use a small piece of 1/2" or so angle and put a scribe mark down the center of the barrel to help center the gas block when you refit it.

So you noticed a big improvement in performance after doing the "D-mod" ? Thanks for your words and advice, can't wait to get this thing running right. Hopefully I don't do more damage than good.

Is this gun converted?

Hahaha, yeah, I feel you man. You don't even wanna know what I paid for this, and I still have to do all the gas/conversion work. Oh well, live and learn. I'm sure down the road I'll change out the stock, hand guard, etc. But so far Tapco hasn't been treating me so bad.

@ Jetmech: Sorry, can you be more specific about the 11/32 bit? Just ream out the hole where the ports are to make more room and file it smooth?

Remove the GB and access the port hole opening thru the hand guard retaining screw hole. File the corners lightly to remove burrs.

If its not converted and still under warranty you could take it back and make them fix it. But then again you know what ham fisted hammer boy is going to work on it. Like already stated some polishing with 600 grit sand paper might make the difference. I polished my bolt and carrier and the back of the hammer on a scotchbrite deburring wheel then followed up with a buffing wheel and some brown triploi compound and lightly cleaned up the rails in the receiver with 600 grit. It cycled fine from day one, I fired 20 slugs through it then started with the federal 7 1/2 wally worl bulk ammo and some #4 with not one problem.

P.S. I wonder if you could just take the gas block loose and tap it into place then repin it since it is so close? Might not work just a thought I am still new to these myself.

Edited by misterT

Just my two cents...I did the "D-hole" mod on mine, instead of a shelf bracket I used a brass plate, worked great and the gas block came off very easily. Though I will admit the lower gas block pin, for some reason, took more than an eight ounce ball peen and THREE broken and then slightly modified punches to give up the ghost. It now cycles even the cheapest Wally-world bulk ammo all day long with zero FTF since the mod (500+ shells so far)

Just my two cents...I did the "D-hole" mod on mine, instead of a shelf bracket I used a brass plate, worked great and the gas block came off very easily. Though I will admit the lower gas block pin, for some reason, took more than an eight ounce ball peen and THREE broken and then slightly modified punches to give up the ghost. It now cycles even the cheapest Wally-world bulk ammo all day long with zero FTF since the mod (500+ shells so far)

Thanks for taking the time to make an account and give me feedback. I will probably not do a full "D-mod", as the ports are not completely blocked. Just going to file out enough to expose them and hope for the best.

Thanks for taking the time to make an account and give me feedback. I will probably not do a full "D-mod", as the ports are not completely blocked. Just going to file out enough to expose them and hope for the best.

You should gauge the ports to see if they are the proper size while you have the gas block off.

See Jetmech's post for proper sizes.

That way you only have to take it apart once.