she has arrived

she is real purdy,picked her up with a half hour to closing time,(fedex is slow) she didn't come with the extra mags i ordered though? no biggie, maybe someone can chime in on that, i'm not one for reading every post. i just like pretty pictures.I wish i had better lighting.

vepr12002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vepr12003.jpg

vepr12004.jpg

vepr12005.jpg

vepr12006.jpg

Edited by mpoppel41
  • Like 2

Any idea if the outside diameter of the barrel is the same as that of a Saiga 030? I'm thinking of swapping the FGB with a railed version.

Papazorro mentioned in another thread that the diameters are the same.

Good to know. In the post I remember, he said the ID is different but he did not know about the OD.

SGM was'nt happy with first batch of mags so they scraped them said new 100% perfect ones in couple of weeks.

Gotta love a company that takes pride in their work.

Both Atlantic and Mississippi said they will ship directly to you when they get them

• Like 1

SGM was'nt happy with first batch of mags so they scraped them said new 100% perfect ones in couple of weeks.

Gotta love a company that takes pride in their work.

Both Atlantic and Mississippi said they will ship directly to you when they get them

there was a note in the box, i just discovered it.

heathcliffandlouie.png

Yes SGM will drop ship our mag orders direclty to customers once they have them 100% we hope to see that in approx 7 days . Yes we are pleased that SGM wanted the tweak the mag one last time to make sure the fit was perfect .

Yes we did include a note with each gun letting the customers know about the mag delay.

• Like 1

Any idea if the outside diameter of the barrel is the same as that of a Saiga 030? I'm thinking of swapping the FGB with a railed version.

Good to know. In the post I remember, he said the ID is different but he did not know about the OD.

Yes, Vepr-12 ID = 18,5 mm, Saiga-12-030 ID = 18,3 mm, but Vepr-12 OD = Saiga-12-030 OD, so railed Saiga-12-030 FSB fits Vepr-12 and vice versa (confirmed by Chef Constructor of Molot).

The differences in ID of Vepr/Saiga is not good, IMHO, when you use Saiga-12 muzzle attachments on Vepr-12, inside of the end of the barrel there is a small barrier 0,1 mm radius.

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 1

Yes, Vepr-12 ID = 18,5 mm, Saiga-12-030 ID = 18,3 mm, but Vepr-12 OD = Saiga-12-030 OD, so railed Saiga-12-030 FSB fits Vepr-12 and vice versa (confirmed by Chef Constructor of Molot).

The differences in ID of Vepr/Saiga is not good, IMHO, when you use Saiga-12 muzzle attachments on Vepr-12, inside of the end of the barrel there is a small barrier 0,1 mm radius.

Papa,

Awesome! Thanks! Did Molot say why they went with a thinner barrel?

Papa,

Awesome! Thanks! Did Molot say why they went with a thinner barrel?

I don not know, in spite of the fact that Molot made thinner barrel than IZMSH do, their barrels are stronger, due to they use another technology of making them (rotary forging) then IZMASH, the same to the rifles barrels of Saiga/AK and Vepr/RPK.

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 2

So will the saiga 12 brakes and chokes still fit the VEPRs fine? Or is it not recommended.

• Like 1

So will the saiga 12 brakes and chokes still fit the VEPRs fine? Or is it not recommended.

I did not write that they will not fit.

For MB ID difference does not matter, due to MB usually have bigger ID, then barrel ID, but for chokes, IMHO, joint barrier (0,1 mm radius) of muzzle and choke is not good, but not critical.

"So will the saiga 12 brakes and chokes still fit the VEPRs fine? Or is it not recommended."

They can use the same muzzle devices

I would prefer to use Vepr-12 chocks on Saiga-12, not vise versa. For muzzle brakes/ muzzle brakes-compensators, doesn't matter.

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 3

I used the SGM full choke (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-555/SGM-SAIGA-12-CHOKE/Detail) on my Vepr12 a couple of days ago with some Federal bulk pack 7.5 shot and saw no difference in removing the choke after firing as I did from removing the muzzle nut. It doesn't seem that the minute differences caused the choke to be worked forward on the threads at all.

I've read some threads on Russian forums about chokes, and conclude the following:

Choke entrance ID should be the same or littlebigger then Barrel ID, if Chokes entrance ID smaller then Barrel ID use such choke could be dengerous!

What we have:

Vepr-12 barrel ID = 18,5 mm, Saiga-12-030 barrel ID = 18,3 mm, the differences in ID of Vepr/Saiga is not good, when you use Saiga-12 muzzle attachments on Vepr-12, ID of the barrel is smaller 0,2 mm then ID of Saiga-12 chokes entrance, vice versa NO problem.

Many guys use Saiga-12 chokes on Vepr-12 in Russia it is fact, but no statistic of barrel damage could be: because Molot make perfect strong barrels or they don't use caliber slugs with them and shoot only lead shot with plastic wad.

The best way is to send Saiga-12 chocks to qualified gunsmith to increase ID of chokes entrance.

PapaZorra, You should never shoot slugs through a choke anyways. Unless it is specific for chokes. A slug through a choke will cause damage.

Molot/IZMASH flash hider is cylinder choke with holes, marked as C (0,0) , and design for slugs also!!! First of all I mean them.

From Saiga-12 FH will be good improved Cylinder for Vepr-12 C (0,2) if modified it.

PapaZorra, You should never shoot slugs through a choke anyways. Unless it is specific for chokes. A slug through a choke will cause damage.

Where did you hear this? I have shot slugs through choked guns without a problem for a long time.

Where did you hear this? I have shot slugs through choked guns without a problem for a long time.

Think about it. The slug is the size of the barrel. Yet the choke is smaller...Some chokes are fine. But I wouldnt suggest anything bigger than full or above. If you are using soft lead slugs you probably wont notice anything short term. But it will likely deform the slug or over time the choke if using harder slugs. If you must use a choke it is mostly suggested to keep to Imp cyl.

Edited by Chevyman097