Best short muzzle brake?

Amazing thing about this forum, the topic can twist wildly out of control of the OP's intention with amazing results

read the OPs first post, let me quote: "Right now, I have a CSS Russian-style birdcage FH/brake on there, and while it works alright, it's also pretty long. If I'm taking the time to do a chop to 13", I'd like something much shorter that also works acceptably. "

his original intention was to still have a muzzle break that works, and he said that as well in his second post he wrote, that was his original intention. I told him he might not need it as the recoil won't be like it is now.

then he changes the requirement to "what is the shortest flash hider or muzzle brake for the Saiga 12? I don't care how it looks. I don't care how well it functions"

so please tell me where you come off with this, " topic can twist wildly out of control of the OP's intention with amazing results"?

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Matt

I "come off" on that with this; due to this being America and we are not bound to follow dictates, we all can spin or twist if you will in any way or direction that we may please. Amazing to some may be dismaying to others. That Black Hawk Vet is going to produce vids and is now probably going to improve on said vids due to this thread may not be amazing but it is "cool". Smile brother, life is short!

OK, let me rephrase this question one last time, since some of you seem to be misunderstanding my priority here: what is the shortest flash hider or muzzle brake for the Saiga 12? I don't care how it looks. I don't care how well it functions, so long as it does SOMETHING (which I will assume they all do, so no empirical evidence/comparisons required).

Cutting to 8" is not an option. I don't want an 8" gun.

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Saiga-12-gauge-Crown-flash-hider-CNC-22647.htm Smallest I have seen. "Flash hider, also serves as a stand off device for door breaching". Does something. My guess is you want something small to dress the end of the barrel up that is as short as possible?

Thread protector is much shorter, then the model you're suggesting ;).

Flash Hider is not a Muzzle Brake, they have difference purposes. Many people on the forum name as Muzzle Brake the following devices: Flash Hider, Compensator, as well as Muzzle Brake-Compensator.

Edited by PapaZorro

So, I should be getting my stamp back for a 13" S12 SBS real soon now (check cashed: May 1). Right now, I have a CSS Russian-style birdcage FH/brake on there, and while it works alright, it's also pretty long. If I'm taking the time to do a chop to 13", I'd like something much shorter that also works acceptably. I'd like to be a muzzle brake, but a really good FH works, too.

Any suggestions?

(I chose 13" because I run Krebs sights and wanted to avoid moving the gas system. That's about as short as I can go with those constraints.)

As I've wrote in previous post, many people on the forum name as Muzzle Brake (MB) the following devices: Flash Hider (FH), Compensator ( C ), as well as Muzzle Brake-Compensator (MBC).

Your topic is named as "Best short muzzle brake?" and you named "CSS Russian-style birdcage" as FH/brake, and you want a shorter muzzle brake than this device:

1. The device made by CSS is a copy of GK-01 designed by Vsevolod Ilyn, and it is not FH/brake it's MBC!

2. If you need shorter MB then GK-01, just cut off C from MBC! Remove 2,3,4 chambers that works as Up and Right C and don't work as MB and leave only the first one that's work as MB, it's easy to cut off Al at home;).

3. You want "really good FH works" - most MB are FH anyway, but if you mean C instead of FH it's completely different, IMHO, you can not find such effective MBC now, as GK-01, that will be much shorter, Maxrounds does, but it's less effective, than GK-01.

4. If you need shorter MB, not MBC, you can addapt JP MB or Mosberg 930 Road Blocker MB (Jerry Miculek use on his shotgun) made in Barrett .50 MB style.

Edited by PapaZorro

OK, let me rephrase this question one last time, since some of you seem to be misunderstanding my priority here: what is the shortest flash hider or muzzle brake for the Saiga 12? I don't care how it looks. I don't care how well it functions, so long as it does SOMETHING (which I will assume they all do, so no empirical evidence/comparisons required).

Cutting to 8" is not an option. I don't want an 8" gun.

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Saiga-12-gauge-Crown-flash-hider-CNC-22647.htm Smallest I have seen. "Flash hider, also serves as a stand off device for door breaching". Does something. My guess is you want something small to dress the end of the barrel up that is as short as possible?

Thread protector is much shorter, then the model you're suggesting ;).

Flash Hider is not a Muzzle Brake, they have difference purposes. Many people on the forum name as Muzzle Brake the following devices: Flash Hider, Compensator, as well as Muzzle Brake-Compensator.

He did say MB or FH in this quote and what I recomended was a FH. I understand in the title it says MB.

Edited by rnemhrd

So, I should be getting my stamp back for a 13" S12 SBS real soon now (check cashed: May 1). Right now, I have a CSS Russian-style birdcage FH/brake on there, and while it works alright, it's also pretty long. If I'm taking the time to do a chop to 13", I'd like something much shorter that also works acceptably. I'd like to be a muzzle brake, but a really good FH works, too.

Any suggestions?

(I chose 13" because I run Krebs sights and wanted to avoid moving the gas system. That's about as short as I can go with those constraints.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the tax stamp for sbs only $5? I read that for shotguns it was listed specifically $5, not $200

Any suggestions?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the tax stamp for sbs only $5? I read that for shotguns it was listed specifically $5, not $200

AOW stamps are $5 (short barrel and no buttstock, Can only be created with a weapon that has never had a buttstock attached).

SBS, SBR, MG, DD, and suppressor stamps are $200.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I think Gunfun touched on an important aspect of the test, removing the human aspect. Also I think any test should take into consideration the weight of break. To compare lighter breaks to the heavier ones you should add weight to the end of barrel for a proper comparison.

Why? You're trying to see which is better. Yes, heavier will be better lol. Adding weight just makes the lighter ones look like they will work better than they actually will - skewing the results.

I think Gunfun touched on an important aspect of the test, removing the human aspect. Also I think any test should take into consideration the weight of break. To compare lighter breaks to the heavier ones you should add weight to the end of barrel for a proper comparison.

Why? You're trying to see which is better. Yes, heavier will be better lol. Adding weight just makes the lighter ones look like they will work better than they actually will - skewing the results.

I have already answered this. Read my responses. I am not talking about testing which current product on the market works 'better'. I am talking about testing current designs with weight removed from the test. Edited by King of the Hill